Same ol', same ol'

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
I just read the following in the summary thread and figured it would make a great thread on its own. Feel free to add your own. (Thanks, Designing Woman. :))
Okay, I'm trying to remain a loyal fan, I truly am. But it's getting more and more difficult. Whether it's the writers or TPTB, I am really getting tired of: a) the same old, recycled stories, ie; who's the daddy, and, b) suspending reality, ie; Setting up housekeeping in a burned out cabin that still has electricity, running water, a clean bed and everything needed to prepare meals.

Stealing a vial of serum that was banned by the hospital and securing the kind of syringe needed to administer it. I mean, did Kayla just have them sitting out on her desk?

Coming back from the dead.

Committing crime after crime and never answering for it.
I could go on, but I'm sure most of you could easily add to the list. Thanks for letting me rant!

Some of the annoying things for me.

Sudden appearance of a previously unknown adult child appearing: Paul, Stefan, Summer, Quinn, Tripp, are just a few that come to mind. I'm not sure how Vivian was able to have Philip, Quinn and Stefan in the same two year time span..

I actually like Paul but how/what/where.

Quick healing of illnesses that are debilitating with no after effects.

Made up illnesses that can be cured.

Days has a bad habit of having characters do or say things which make no sense, but their thoughts are, who cares, the viewers won't notice....and we can't afford the time. Thus.....everyone lives, a few work in the square. Huge corporations operate from there, with a cell phone and laptop. Job interviews are held there, no privacy whatsoever. CEOs never leave their living rooms.

I don't think there is a town where the people who are supposed to be working have as much free time as they do. They are available any time, for home visits, walks in the park, lazing in the square. Poor Steve has to sit there all day, while Kayla flits back and forth from hospital, to square, with a side trip to DiMansion on occasion. The cops, hospital staff, corporate workers......all are free all day long, (except when taking calls from Mr. Shin, who seems more on track with what is going on, than those heading it up)

Unfortunately, I am in agreement with a poster on one of the other threads stating that the writers seem to be purposely leading DOOL down the path to cancellation.

The stories aren’t fresh, are very predictable, and recycled beyond belief. There is no dead in Salem. The characters are constantly being brought back to life, and rapes resulting in yet another who’s the daddy disaster.

Are there any females in Salem that have not been sexually assaulted?

New writers are constantly being hired, but for what? Another long journey to disappointment, that’s what!

I must concur with the complaints I have already read. I once again started watching Days a couple of months ago and I must say things have gotten even worse than they were before. This drivel has to be one of the worst things on TV or any streaming service today.

This hospital, one of the top in the country, (excuse me while I poke myself in the eye) appears to have only one room for a patient. It's right off the only nurses' station and doubles as a recovery room. I think it may have a plaque on it stating it's dedicated and to be used by only members and close friends of the Horton family. I don't know many hospital rooms with two entrances so people can sneak in unseen - even when guarded by police

Agree with above posters, for the most part, but after 50+ years, what else can you do ? lol

Haven't watched July 3 show yet, but I bet my bank account, Will and Sonny won't call the cops to report Leo's accidental death, but go into a long plan to hide or get rid of the body.

Fast forward thru much of the show, and am just waiting until Will gets his memory back, which I assume is coming. Also record The View, and that is FAR more entertaining, lol. Will see.

Deleted spoiler...........P

Last edited by a moderator:
Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder, & I for one, would not waste 10 seconds on the View.....but that is just me. Yep, as ridiculous as some scenarios on Days appear to be, I would much rather watch that. Actually, I do, every day,since I write summaries daily. :)

Agree with above posters, for the most part, but after 50+ years, what else can you do ? lol

Haven't watched July 3 show yet, but I bet my bank account, Will and Sonny won't call the cops to report Leo's accidental death, but go into a long plan to hide or get rid of the body.

Fast forward thru much of the show, and am just waiting until Will gets his memory back, which I assume is coming. Also record The View, and that is FAR more entertaining, lol. Will see.
It's true that after fifty years, there probably can't be very much that's truly new under the Salem sun, but the writers could at least give old plot scenarios a new spin. For example:
  • Will and Big Boy Sonny do the right thing and report Leo's accidental death to the police only to have conviction-hungry Melinda Trask try to railroad them on a murder charge (they hire a lawyer who isn't Justin);
  • Will regains his memory, but is appalled by what his old life was like. He rejects Big Boy and Sami and seeks Marlena's help in dealing with his disturbing past life;
  • Abigail's baby turns out to be Chad's, which pleases Mr. Slimy O. McOoze, who has no interest in being a father (and in fact is ducking child-support payments for several other children);
  • John and Marlena have an old fashioned, romantic wedding and live happily ever after as Salem's new Tom and Alice.

My opinion is that the writers are trying to cash in on nostalgia by using "classic" storylines, but they don't understand that it's not the stories we want repeated. We want what the show used to give us: deep and meaningful relationships, romantic, familial or friendship; and somewhat crazy but amazing stories that we HAD to tune in and watch.

We didn't love Bo and Hope because of the "who's the daddy" stories. We loved them because they were Bo and Hope, and they made whatever story they had great.

We didn't love the same reformed villain stories. We loved what people like Jack Deveraux brought to stories like that.

We didn't love the "bad boy" trope. We loved Steve Johnson.

We didn't love the "oh my gosh you aren't dead!" storylines. We loved Stefano so much that we'd watch him be resurrected a million times just to watch him for one more day.

I love this show. It's the first show I ever watched. Literally. Every weekday from crib to graduation, my mom and dad had this playing on TV during dinner every evening. I grew up with these characters and they have followed me throughout my entire life. So it hurts me as a fan to say this too. But the spark this show used to have is disappearing. I hope the writers realize this, before even the solid fanbase gives up and refuses to turn the hourglass again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well said, Little-Sweetness. As a Days-Oner (Yes, I began with the very first day when it was a half hour show), it is the characters and actors that I miss not the storylines that are repeated on a loop for decades.

Back