Slow Cooker Recipes

M

missvicki

Does anyone know of any good slow cooker recipes? My husband and I have started using the slow cooker a little more often as it is so much easier to create big meals for our family of 5 when we get home from work at night. I am kind of getting bored of the recipes I have and would love to try something new!

Do check thru the Spectator cookbook. I know Wayne has a pot roast recipe in there for the slow cooker that is to die for. There are other slow cooker things, too. I have made ribs, and stew, too, besides the pot roast. Just off the top of my head, I know Red Squirrel makes all kinds of things in her slow cooker, so does Fudd.

If you put slow cooker recipes in google, you will get lots of goodies.. remember one thing, it sucks out a lot of flavor so always add extra seasoning!

A family favorite:

Chicken
1 packet of hot and sour soup mix
1 bag of frozen peas (or other veggie)
8-10 hrs on low
serve over rice!

~OR~

Easiest lasagna ever

Layer uncooked lasagna noodles with browned sausage (or ground beef/turkey), spaghetti sauce, mozzerella cheese, zucchini, and a dab of ricotta cheese on each layer.

Seriously, it comes out so wonderfully!

that sounds really good Trey. We usually make cream of mushroom porkchops with potatoes, carrots, onions and onion soup mix over top of it, or Mac and Cheese or a roast beef. That is the usual we have. Sometimes I try to switch them up. I've made two chilis now and they turned out pretty good. I looked at some of the others here in the cookbook forum and they seem so delicious! Thanks!
I am definitely going to try the chicken and the lasagna. I didn't realize that Lasagna could be cooked in a slow cooker. LOL ( I am NOT the cook in our family. My husbands mom is a trained gourmet chef and he has her amazing cooking talent so he does a lot of it, but has slowly been teaching me! I am slowly turning out to be an amazing cooK! LOL The spring rolls he taught me how to make are my favorite!!! mmmmmmmm)

I posted a few of my favorites. I used to use my crockpot a LOT when I was working away from home. I also have several dessert recipes for the crockpot which are awesome and constantly surprise people.

One thing to remember -- If your crockpot is new (I'm assuming this would be the same in Canada), it cooks hotter than the older versions. Times listed in most of the recipes you will find are based on the older crockpots. I've heard many people complaining about overcooked food b/c they have a new crockpot.

Also, pretty much any non-cream/milk based soup recipe you have can be made in the crockpot.

Thanks for all the recipes Fudd! Like I said before, we are pretty much having the same thing every week. I am excited to something new! I wrote them out in my cook book LOL Very excited to try the ribs and the stew...Thanks again!

You're welcome. The stew is my dad's favorite. I don't make it a lot b/c my husband is just not a stew person. :)

Let me know if you want some more.

If you are on FaceBook, I was typing in something to search and "Crock Pot Recipes" popped up. So you may try there for more recipes.

Red Squirrel posted a 3 Bean Soup that is good and is for a crock pot.

The BEST crockpot cookbooks are the Fix It and Forget It series. I own 3 of them. I found 2 of them at a discount store and 1 at Sam's Club so I didn't pay full price.

They're put together by a lady who owns a cooking shop near Lancaster, Pa. Besides posting recipes / tips, she also runs contests to win programmable crockpots and her cookbooks. http://fix-itandforget-it.com/blog/ This week's featured recipe is chicken alfredo.

Yep, the bean dish I posted is from her cookbook, then modified a little to the way I like it.

She has a facebook site where we all share recipes. http://www.facebook.com/fixitandforgetit

Cowboy Beans

bag of 15 bean soup
1 large (22oz?) can crushed tomatoes
1lb hamburger
1 kielbasa sausage

I usually put the bag of beans (after sorting and without the ham flavoring) in the crockpot with salt and pepper to taste in the morning before work on high. I go home for lunch, so at lunch I'll add the crushed tomatoes, browned hamburger and cut kielbasa (slice into bite-sized pieces) and turn down to low. You can also add this right after you get home from work - I will often brown the hamburger and slice the kielbasa the night before so all I have to do it throw it in. In 30 minute to an hour it should be warmed through enough to eat. Sometimes we'll bake cornbread to eat with it, and that gives us plenty of time while the cornbread is baking to allow the additional ingredients to heat up. For such limited ingredients, it's surprisingly tasty!

Roast

Peel enough carrots and potatoes to cover the bottom of the crockpot, or more if you wish. I usually leave potatoes whole, unless they are huge, and I usually cut carrots into 2-inch sticks. Cover vegetables with water. Place a roast on top of the vegetables (do not cover with water, or it will not be tender... juices will collect as it cooks). Slice an onion or two and place on top of the meat, then salt and pepper to taset (I coat the top with pepper!). I put this on before work... I usually put it on high and turn it to low when I get home, but it is usually about done in the early afternoon. You can probably cook it all day on low and it should be fine.

Soup

Cook any meat you add to soup the night before. In the morning, just put in all ingredients (probably don't fill it completely full of water... leave an inch or so space at the top), cook all day and come home to yummy goodness without spending your evening over a stove!

I've never done it, but some people cook pork barbeque in a crockpot, and it's really good. You can put a ham and some water in a crock pot and have it ready when you get home. You can make chili in a crockpot. And there's the usual beans and cornbread (cornbread not made in crockpot! haha...), beans and ham, etc. Nearly anything you make normally can probably be made in the crockpot, sometimes with slight alterations, and save you cooking time later! Experiment! I've taken broccoli casserole, "baked" spaghetti (or crockpot spaghetti =), numerous soups, made baked potatoes, and other things I can't think of in a crockpot. Sometimes there's no stove or oven available for use or, like at Thanksgiving, that's just one less thing to have to put in the oven. Let us know what you discover!

I have a fairly new crockpot...and it doesn't have low or high. Just 4, 6, 8 and 10 hours. And if it was on 4 hrs. which would be High I am guessing, there is no way to change to what I assume would be a lower temp at 8 or 10 hrs. Mine goes OFF, and then you start all over again.

I did a roaster chicken in the crockpot this past Sunday. Prepare the chicken the same way that you normally do for the regular oven (wash, pat dry, oil, season), but do not stuff. Place onion quarters in the cavity. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
DELICIOUS.......the only drawback is the skin doesn't get crunchy.

Poirot...double check the controls......I bet it says HIGH under or near the 4 hour choice.

I have a similar crockpot, Barb, but mine goes to warm after the time is up. It's nice b/c it helps keep things from getting overcooked (at least a little). You are right the 4 and 6 hour options are high. The 8 and 10 are low.

I've been using my crockpot more frequently since going "back" to work. Bettycrocker.com has a lot of recipes. I made a southwest steak last night from that website that was pretty good. My meat got a little overdone b/c I had used a newer crockpot.

Shirley -- I've done a chicken before too. Turkey breasts are also really good!

Back