State of the Show

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
December Episode Rankings. Here's how many episodes each actor has appeared in this month (12/1/23-12/31/23), out of a total of 21 episodes.

Rank. Actor (Character) # of Episodes (pending any 12/28 or 12/29 additions/deletions)

1. Arianne Zucker (Nicole DiMera) 12
2. Steve Burton (Harris Michaels) 10
I thought this deserved its own thread, rather than being under the data Jason47 is providing.

HARRIS MICHAELS is the second most used character on the show? Mind-boggling.

He's connected to no core families. He's barely connected to Ava, who is connected to no core families.

His character is not popular (from what I’ve seen here & on twitter) or comic relief (e.g., Leo for both), and serves virtually no metafunction. He's not a veteran who can pop in and/or have established friendships with core characters (like an Abe or a Marlena).

This is just...a baffling choice. Sure, the actor was popular on another show, but that's failed to happen on this show so often, one would think the powers that be would have learned their lesson...?

Am I missing something? Do we love Harris and I'm just not on the boat yet?

Well, I fast forward through all of the Ava and Harris stuff. I had no desire for her return and I don't care about any of this story. I honestly can't believe that they sat around and though of a way for Ava to return. I might have tolerated Harris but this forced story is boring and annoying.

I remember Steve Burton (Harris) on General Hospital years ago when the brothers Jason & AJ were a big deal, but I have pretty much no recollection of him as Harris back when he was on in the 80s. I want to like the character, but they've really given him nothing to work with and just keep sort of sticking him in random stories almost like they're trying to see what will stick. It's a shame because I recall the actor having a lot of charisma back in the day, but he's falling flat now.

So, let me get this straight. Steve Burton played a character also named Harris on General Hospital in the 1980s, right? If yes, is this Harris supposed to unofficially (depending on copyright, I'm unsure who all owns GH) be the same Harris we are seeing now on Days? I never watched much General Hospital back then so I have no idea what is going on. Thanks in advance for any explanation.

It wasn't a long storyline. He was a teenager who was involved with teenage Eve. Harris and a friend named Jake discovered Eve had been a prostitute and made a bet as to who could have sex with her first. Eve thought Harris actually cared about her, though.

E60eQpqUYAAHPBM

Harris is way too flat a character to be a centerpiece. He has no discernible personality. I’m reminded of Mean Girls: quit trying to make fetch, er, Harris happen.

They’re shoving a lot of random characters and plots at us. Harris, Konstantin, the teen parade. Meanwhile, does Abe have his memory back? I care about Abe. Maybe he doesn’t have enough younger family on the show right now to show the impact of all that, but whose fault is that?

They keep bringing in new stunt characters like that’s better than writing well for the characters we care about. Or, like with Dmitri, just when I’m starting to like him and care, he’s gone. At least the teen stuff, which I also don’t care about, has hooks because these are legacy characters.

But Harris? Yawn. If they’re bringing in new cops, which they might have to since Lani, Eli, and Shawn are gone, bring Andrew back. Make him an ISA liaison or something. Move the Theresa/Xander plot along.

Harris is way too flat a character to be a centerpiece. He has no discernible personality. I’m reminded of Mean Girls: quit trying to make fetch, er, Harris happen.
The original storyline with Eve from 1988 was too short and unmemorable for them to bring the character back to Salem and shove him into a major storyline now.

I have a feeling someone must be doing Steve Burton (Harris) a favor. He got written off GH for refusing to get vaccinated during COVID so he couldn’t film. He’s basically playing the same brain-injured, flat affect character he did on GH. I guess it’s supposed to be steely and intimidating. It’s not. It’s boring.

Yes, Harris is a dud, but I enjoy making fun of him — e.g., calling him an action hero. in contrast, I’m constantly mocking Konstantin, but can’t stand the sight of him. I was hoping John and Steve would dump him in Salem harbor. Finally, Dimitri turned out to be a winner. The sooner Leo is reunited with his true love the better.

Back