Streaming help

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get streaming onto my TV? I have DISH, and currently only get Peacock on my computer. It is not connected to the TV......so is there some way one can get Peacock despite all this. I live rural, not big city.
I cannot afford, like many people, to pay for additional equipment or any additional monthly charges.

Take a picture of the inputs on the back of your TV and post it. If you have an HDMI connection, that's what you need. If you don't, then you might need some other kind of adapter.

Unless you have a smart TV, you will need another device that can connect to the internet. The cheapest are Roku and the low-end Fire Stick from Amazon. A Google Chromecast is also pretty cheap, and unlike the other devices, you can project anything on your computer or your phone to the TV. I actually have an extra one if you're interested. My brother left it at my house. I'd be willing to mail it to you.

A Google Chromecast is also pretty cheap, and unlike the other devices, you can project anything on your computer or your phone to the TV. I actually have an extra one if you're interested. My brother left it at my house. I'd be willing to mail it to you.
I was thinking a Chromecast might be her easiest option.

It's a little device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV (TinaY posted a pic of what they look like). Then you bring up something on your computer (using Google Chrome's browser), click the 3 dots on the top right hand side, underneath Print it says Cast. Click "Cast" and whatever is on your computer will then appear on your TV.

google-chromecast-02.jpg

I need to backtrack a bit and say I think that's how Chromecast works, as I don't have one and haven't personally used it. I know a lot of people who use a Chromecast and have said how easy and convenient it is.

All of these devices work similarly. They connect to the internet (mostly over WiFi) and plug into the HDMI port on your TV. The difference with Chromecast and Apple TVs is that you can also connect to them to share your computer or phone screen on the TV. But Apple devices are more expensive and mostly work best with other Apple devices.

I would vote for Chromecast device or the low end Fire Stick as being your best option. No additional fees with Fire Stick (that’s what we use in my girls rooms.)

When I check the Chromecast item, it keeps referring to using your phone to cast. I only use my computer, I do not have a "smart" phone or tablet. Just my ol desktop. Does it work for computers?
(As I said, I can only stream from my computer.....which I use for all my work, etc.

@Poirot it sounds like getting an extra long HDMI cable and plugging it into the back of the tv is best. Is there an HDMI input on your computer (depending on the type of desktop you have it may be on the back of the tower as an output or you may be able to plug it into your monitor so that you’re basically mirroring the display from one screen to the other). If there happen to be 2 ports, make sure you are plugging into the OUT from the computer or monitor and IN to the tv so that it’s sending the signal properly from computer to tv.

If by chance the computer doesn’t have an HDMI port on it, you might need to buy an adapter as well (such as HDMI to USB or HDMI to VGA, which is the type of cable that goes into a monitor).

Once you’re connected, it should be as simple as hitting the input button on your tv remote and switching to HDMI1 or HDMI2 (depending on what it is plugged into on the tv) and you should see your computer’s display.

It is amazing to me, how knowledgeable so many of you are, truly. Tis all Greek to me.
So, I thought the HDMI port had to be on the TV (which has an HDMI2 listed. At this moment, I cannot see or get behind the hard drive on the computer to see what additional ports it has.

Plus, ...it seems Chromecast has different prices of the same item, which seem to offer additional options or something, as I said, no idea. Honestly, no one I know here in small town north woods has ever talked of Chromecast, streaming, Roku.......seems they have their cable, & don't want anything else. I am gonna have to ask around more.

If I remember, you connect the computer to Chromecast by being on the same WiFi network. So as long as your computer has WiFi, it should work. You’ll open your browser (like Google Chrome), and once set up, it’ll have a button to cast any tab or window to the Chromecast/TV.

What ShaunP describes is how to physically connect your computer to the TV. That’s where having an HDMI port on your computer comes in. Get a long cable and connect over the wires. However, if you have a desktop, that might be awkward unless everything is in the same room.

Since you have an HDMI port on your TV, the easiest thing to do is get one of the cheapest streaming devices. A super long HDMI cable will cost as much as a streaming device. Once set up, you’ll navigate to the HDMI input using your TV remote and open the Peacock app. It’ll be very similar to navigating a cable box menu. Amazon is running sales on many of its devices right now. The basic Firestick is again $20.

Unfortunately, my desktop computer if far away from the TV, different rooms, running any sort of cable, cord, wire between the computer & TV is impossible.

My TV is an older smart TV but setting it up to stream peacock is very easy.

1-Take original remote control for your TV
2-Select Input button on TV remote.
3-click on HDMI input control on TV remote
4-This will put your PC picture on your TV (my TV and PC are in the same room, so not sure if this works for you)
5-On PC click on the Peacock website-this will get your TV and PC coordinated
6-When you want to go back to regular TV, simply click on input button until you get to HDM2, this will give you back your TV picture and you will be back to normal on your PC and TV

I hope this works for you.

Cookies Mom, are you using a PC or laptop? Her PC is in another room.

Poirot, you need to call your internet provider and find out if your internet box has wifi to it. I have internet box that has a cord to the
desk computer. The box I have allows me to connect to my laptop and and devices attached to your TV. You probably need to find out
first to see if you can do that to your TV. Have you looked on your TV to see if it has HDMI slots to connect something like a Firestick?
That's important too if you have wifi with your internet.

I am on a PC in the same room as the TV. I think I may have mentioned that. I do not know if being in a different room makes a difference. My thought is that the system works very easily, no wires, no special settings, except those I listed. I just hope I can help someone with the info. Great job, Katmouse, on the instructions you are giving too.

Cookies Mom, I'm surprised you can show something from a desktop to TV. Maybe because you have
smart TV. It's good to know you can do that without wires.

Back