Streaming help

Thanks kat, our TV is pretty old, but it is a smart TV. Ours is a RCA TV. Honestly I was just lucky to figure this out, I kept just trying different stuff, and finally got lucky. Sure hope someone can make use of this info. Sure wish I knew if you could do it from a different room, but my feeble old mind says no. :head scratch:

If you have WIFI, just buy a firestick. you plug the firestick in to one of the HDMI ports on TV and plug the firestick in an outlet and follow the directions on screen. Amazon has them on sale now !

Last edited:
I have an Apple laptop. I read all your very helpful suggestions don't think you gave anything specific for a laptop. If anyone is familiar with that process, please let me know. I don't have a smart TV. The TV has one of those slots mentioned above but it has a wire in it that connects to a cable box. I do have wifi internet. Somehow I think I am out of luck until I get a new TV

I have a laptop, but not Apple.

Do you have more than one slot on your TV? Mine has four slots.

Maybe someone with an Apple laptop can help you.

Midge you can just unplug the cable box from that slot and plug in a Fire stick or Roku while you're using it then switch back. Super easy unless the slot is somewhere not easily accessible like on a wall or something.

I would reiterate what was said above. For those with decent WiFi: the easiest, cheapest thing to do is just buy a Firestick or Roku-type device. So for an Apple laptop where you have WiFi, don’t worry about connecting the MacBook to your TV, just get a Firestick or something. Unless you have one now, an HDMI cable to connect your computer would cost you at least $10 (plus the cost of adapters if you don’t have HDMI on your computer and/or TV), and you have to hook up your computer every time you want to watch. A steaming device is $20 without the hassle. Once it’s set up, you’re done.

Seriously, it’s pretty straightforward, and then you’re set up for Peacock, Netflix, Hulu, and nearly every streaming service you might want to turn on. You can make your TV a smart TV for $20.

I brought up Chromecast because it has screen mirroring those others don’t. If you have a slow or inconsistent internet connection, it might be easier to let the show download inside the app on your phone while you do other things and then play it to the Chromecast hooked to your TV versus trying to stream the video. Apple TV also has very easy screen mirroring with iPhones and iPads. You wouldn’t use a laptop in this low-speed internet scenario. You can’t download the show outside of the app. The app is on mobile devices.

So, you need a smart phone??? And if you do not have one???

No, you do not need a smartphone to use a Chromecast. She's only saying if you have slow or inconsistent internet to use the app (on a smartphone or tablet). But if your internet/wifi connections are OK, you can use a Chromecast from a desktop or laptop computer. You're just mirroring what's on your computer screen to the TV with the gizmo plugged into your TV. You have to be using Google Chrome's browser to use it. Just click the 3 dots on the upper right corner and select "cast" and whatever is on your computer screen will appear on your TV.

Tried that, did not work

Poirot, did you call your internet company to see if you have wifi with your internet?
You might have that and not know it.

Tried that, did not work
Did you use a Chromecast gizmo? It won't work unless you plug the Chromecast into your TV. (you also have to have wifi)

This is just an example of a Chromecast; there are different styles, but they all basically work the same way.

DSCF5373.jpg

Nope, don't have that, and just another cost required to get streaming Days

A Google Chromecast is also pretty cheap, and unlike the other devices, you can project anything on your computer or your phone to the TV. I actually have an extra one if you're interested. My brother left it at my house. I'd be willing to mail it to you.
TinaY said she had an extra one that her brother left at her house and was willing to send to you.

Thank you all so very much for all all your advice. I really appreciate your help. I will consider all the info and come up with a solution. Thanks very much again. You all are the best.

I have a laptop, but not Apple.

Do you have more than one slot on your TV? Mine has four slots.

Maybe someone with an Apple laptop can help you.
No unfortunately I only have the one which has the cable box connection in it. Yes it is an older TV

Midge, good luck finding something to work.

Is it easy to take the cable out of the slot? You might be able to use a firestick if you do.

Midge, you can buy something called an HDMI switch which will allow you to plug more than one HDMI cable in at a time. You plug the one end into your HDMI port on your TV, and then you can plug your cable for your cable box, and your Roku or Firestick into the ports on the other end. Here is a picture of what I bought and it was around $15.

1665020531696.png

Back