Thanksgiving

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
Where are you going? What are you serving/cooking/eating?

My older son always hosts Thanksgiving and I always look forward to it. He is a wonderful cook who makes all his eats from scratch. We decided to have loin of pork this year instead of the usual ham and turkey. He serves it with a raspberry sauce.

It's also my younger son's birthday so we have two celebrations at once.

After eating, it's a nap for me and football for the others. The next day, my son and I go to Lowe's to get my Christmas tree. He puts it in the stand for me before he leaves.

Yep, gonna be nice!

I decided to stay home this year. I bought a chicken to roast since a turkey is just too big. Candied yams, brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce, and cranberry biscotti with white chocolate drizzle are on the menu.

I'll start getting everything out for my Christmas tree while football games are on.

My sister in Pittsburgh took over the holiday meals from me after my Mom died since most of the rest of the family is closer to her. Last year my sister decided not to cook, and I went with them to a nursing home in a town north of me for dinner because her m-i-l was moved there. This year, they're going to another in-law's home in that same town. I really don't feel like being with people I don't know for over 12 hours with nothing to do. (My b-i-l never knows when it is time to leave.)

My family is wayyyy too far away, and with my son-in-law so ill, well, it will be a very quiet day for us here. My one son was supposed to be here, but problems arose with his pregnant dog (look in today's donut thread) and so he has to stay home.
I already had bought the turkey, so will be freezing the left over turkey & stuffing for Christmas). We usually have mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, cranberry sauce, orange jello with crushed pineapple & mandarin oranges (my mom always made that) a big relish tray with olives, radishes, onions, cucumbers, celery sticks. LOL. Yep, we eat the same on Frday, plus the turkey sandwiches for lunch. And by Saturday, we usually are at the end of whatever, so freezer gets the rest of turkey. I really don't make a huge spread, like I used to when we lived close to family.

Going to my parent's house. We will have the southern traditional meal: smoked turkey breasts, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserol, green bean casserol, butter beans, turnip greens, and pumpkin pie. All these posts are making me hungry, lol.

I will be in Cali for Thanksgiving before I move back to Florida and so I cooking for my sweet friends....Turkey stuffed with onion, garlic bulbs and fresh herbs....Mushroom and shallot dressing....my grandma's corn cassarole....green bean cassarole....cranberrys...my homemade apple pie and pumpkin pie...

Don't feel like turkey this year so I am doing roast pork loin, cornbread & oyster dressing, sweet potato casserole, green beans and rolls. Pumpkin pie for desert. My Thanksgiving dinner will be on Saturday because my baby goes to her nana's for Thanksgiving day and my middle goes to her in laws.

My sister is hosting T-Day and Christmas. I'll be contributing a side and desert. We have a very traditional menu: turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rolls. AND enough to deserts: 5. 3 pies and 2 cakes. Oh my!

My brother is driving down to join us and will help set up our fake Charlie-Brown christmas tree so I can decorate. After the tree is up, he watches football and I open ornament boxes!

Then the entire family watches an old Christmas flick: original Miracle on 34th Street.

(Great thread)

Now, we always go to my in law's and the menu is Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn, candied yams, stuffing, rolls, cranberry sauce and pies: pecan, pumpkin, apple, and cherry. We get there early in the day so that I can help my MIL get everything ready. After dinner, me and MIL put up her Christmas tree while everyone else watches TV (or goes into a food coma). When the girls were younger, my hubby and FIL would take the girls to a movie while we put up the tree and decorated the inside of the house. But now my FIL would not be able to sit thru a movie, so they no longer go.

I m going to my uncle's,(he live 2 hours away) I haven't seen him in 3 years and he had a bout with lung cancer. Right now he is in remission, Yeah! My sister and BIL are coming down too. She live 3 hours north of him. I haven't seen her since I was in rehab (Oct.2011). I'm so exited
My uncle is making turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and stuff cabbage. I am making fruit salad and my sister is bringing cheese cake.
Hope everyone has a fantastic day making forever memories.

Wishing all my new friends at the Spectator, a safe and very Happy Thanksgiving -from your northern neighbour.

P.S. Just spent 6 fabulous vacation days exploring Chicago - what a beautiful and exciting city!

Ahhh, my hometown. Glad you enjoyed it. I still have not seen Millenium Park, it was built after I left.

Hope each one had a lovely Thanksgiving with friends & family. Enjoy the weekend!:)

Ahhh, my hometown. Glad you enjoyed it. I still have not seen Millenium Park, it was built after I left.

Was in Chicago back in September...Millenium Park is beautiful you should definitely go and see it! Lots of cool things there.

My mom always hosts Thanksgiving. We had lots of family over. 13 for dinner and then by dessert there were 21 people at my moms house! But its always nice to see everyone. Always fun. Decorating for Christmas today and maybe doing some shopping later on. Hope everyone else had a great holiday!

Back