The Book Club

Oh, my gosh, Partners in Crime....I still have that book. Tuppence & Tommy. Agatha Christie kept those characters, gave them twins, had the twins grow up, had them help catch a spy during WW2 and then a few more adventures as they got into their 60s. Twas amazing. I always liked that you find some of the same background characters in different books with different detectives..whether Jane Marple or Hercule Poirot....or even the mysterious Harley Quin. LOL

I was wondering if Partners in Crime was Tuppence and Tommy. Masterpiece Theater did some of those way back in the 70s (I think) Francesca Annis was the female partner. They were adorable!

I read lots of different thing. When I was working, on nights and weekends (when no one was there) I would put an audio book in one ear while working. Kept my mind occupied while wandering about the plant. One of my co-workers walked up to me and spoke to me and since I was so into the book and my mopping I nearly jumped out of my skin! I think the book at that time was a book called "Into the Wild" a true story about a young man that went alone to Alaska to camp and live off the land and was found dead some months later, he had eaten some plants that he thought were edible, but were unfortunately a similar looking plant that was poison.

I have read all of Anne Rice's Vampire and Witch books and a few of her others.
I too, started "Grey" and got bored with it. Anne Rice wrote a series many years ago on the same theme only MUCH better written. I didn't finish the series, there's only so much "tie me up and spank me" a person can take . . . . . LOL!
Forced myself to read the first "Twilight" book - again, Anne Rice wrote the genre so much better.
I have read a lot of James Patterson, but he's gotten, as someone said about another author, "cookie cutter". Same with Charlaine Harris's "Sookie Stackhouse" series (this is the book series the TV series "True Blood" came from.
I seem to like (for unknown reasons) "Southern" books. By that I mean books about people from the south. One was "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt", another was "The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder" I LOVE Jill Conner Browne's "Sweet Potato Queen" books.

In school I read all of the Walter Farley "Black Stallion" series I could get my hands on from the school library and the town library. Read "My Friend Flicka", "The Yearling", "Little Women" and "Black Beauty" My 4th grade teacher read Laura Ingals Wilder books to us, starting from the beginning. She had a letter from Laura Ingals Wilder that she put up on the class bulletin board. I read most of those books on my own also.
I sat outside under the yard light (a LOT) one summer reading Dracula. LOL! As a girl I read a condensed version of "Heidi" - don't remember where I got it from! and Dr. Seuss, of course. I've read all the Anne of Green Gables books.

Told ya' I read lots of different stuff.

I was also a big reader as a youngster, favorites being Bobbsey Twin Series, all Louisa May Alcotts books, Little house on the Prairie series, all Mark Twain works, later developed an appreciation for Dickens, and thank God now for E reading technology for the big fonts! I have downloaded all the classics for free and am on a quest to finish every single one I have not read, or to re read ones I did not fully appreciate in High School!

tvcat - I read Color Kittens to my four year old!

Reading this thread has made me think about books I haven't read in a loooong time. I wish I had time to read now, but it seems like I haven't had time since my son was born. Or maybe I'm just exhausted!

I remember reading Nancy Drew , Trixie Belden mysteries, Judy Blume books .... later in high school I really enjoyed The *bleep* (Kent Family Chronicles series) by John Jakes. The Belgariad by David Eddings.

Man I haven't thought about those books in forever.

I loved those golden books as a child . One of my favorites I can't remember the title but it was about puppies and how they grew up through the seasons..kinda sad to me because of the way they made it sound ..they were no longer puppies at the end they had grown up.
Others Tommy too late.. which should be Tammy too late LOL Tommy was never on time.
I think my favorite Little golden book of all time has to be The Monster at the end of this book
images
I highly reccomend this book LOL...Old school .back before Elmo took over poor Grover got pushed aside it seems...Although I think Grover may be getting the last laugh:wink:
No really it is a great childrens book:)

I'm glad I bumped up this topic :)

tvcat I'm going to have to find that book you mentioned.

When I was growing up, I read a lot of adult books. I read mysteries, Agatha Christie,
Ellery Queen, Perry Mason. Perry Mason is interesting to read after you watch the show. You picture them in it.

I wanted to read "Partners in Crime" but none of the libraries have it. I might ask the one to
look for it.

I have two library cards. One for the town on my address. I actually live in a smaller town
(long story about address) and I have county library card. The city library doesn't have books I want.
The county they usually do and pass them around when people want them.

I was reading "Lady Grace" mystery and non of the libraries had the whole series. (writer stopped
at letter "L") The county library put request out and I finished series. It's a mystery series
for children, but I enjoyed them.

I still have my Little Big Golden Books of TV shows. How many remember those?

I started reading a lot of children books the past few years. I read Anne of Green Gables.
I saw several videos of them. I like the books better.

I read the Sookie books too. Sometimes you have to wait awhile for a library one. I like Sue Grafton.
I'm not reading Shades. I've read another books series that is probably like it and I don't think I need to. I saw a woman read at the library once. I think she was embarrassed, but you could put a book cover on it.

I started reading other books series by Charlaine Harris's. I liked them better than Sookie

I've read of teen books and the library had to get taller shelves because there are so many books now.
Angels, vampires, fairies. Some are easy to read, others are not. I think some parents my be surprised
what their child is reading. If you have a teen, and they read books. You might want to read them too.
I would rate some PG13.

leigh when your son is older, you can read to him. Get your child interested in books
and not video games :)

When I lived in the big city, a library was no problem. Not only was there a huge one to visit, both my grade school and high school had very large ones. When I moved out to a very new suburb, there was none. And so I got involved in starting one up. I belonged to a couple of book clubs, had hundreds of books, donated ever so many. That library started out in one room in a small house donated for that purpose......and now is a huge one.
I live very rural now, with the town library about 20 miles away. It was on main st. in a bldg built in the late 1800s. A couple years ago, they finally, after getting lots of donations, were able to build a new, larger building, with even lots of computers for one to use. But what I am getting at is the libraries belong to a Library "system" and any book you might want, they can check and see if any of the other libraries in 4 or 5 county area (it might be more - I thought they said 17 at one time) have the book and they will get it for you. They used to mail it to you from the other library and you had to mail it back, but now postage is so high, the book will go to your library, and stay there until someone else wants it. Small towns really do make do. :)

It is very difficult, though to get an "unabridged" version of Little Women, Heidi, etc. as the tendency is to have those classics now "written" for what I believe is 6th graders, or so I have been told

Lovely story Poirot.

The one library I belong to charges $1 to get book or something. Last time, I asked I was
charged a $1 even though they didn't find anything.
The other library found the books I wanted to read at no charge. All of them came from
the east coast. States away.

Anyone read "The Hummingbird's Daughter" by Luis Alberto Urrea.
I was wondering if I should read this one.

I enjoyed the book tvcat mentioned about Dewey the library cat.

Thank you for bumping this thread, katmouse. I never clicked on it before. It appeared about the time that the Days ladies had a book club meeting, and I thought it was about that. LOL

I started reading "The Hummingbird's Daughter", and had to put it down. The descriptions of Mexican customs and scenery were wonderful, but the story was S-L-O-W.

Another book that I have tried several times to get through since high school is "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. What a snooze fest. This last time over Christmas vacation, I skipped to the last 5 chapters. I love many of Victor Hugo's works, but this one just doesn't do it for me. The stage musical seemed like a huge jumble making me feel like I wasted my time so I won't bother with the new movie.

How did I not see this thread before now?! I was, and still am, an avid reader. My mom volunteered at our small town library when I was little, so I'd spend most of my afternoons after school at the library. I ready anything and everything. I remember I was the first one in my class to "graduate" from the picture book section to the chapter books and that was a HUGE deal to us back then. I read my mom's Bobbsey Twins and Happy Hollisters as well as all the older Nancy Drew books. (Sidenote: One of my college professors actually ghost-wrote some of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books that were published in the late 90s/early 2000s.) I was huge into the Baby-Sitters Club and Sweet Valley High. I read all the Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books. I read a lot of R.L. Stine and Lois Duncan and Caroline Cooney in my early teen years. I read a lot of classics in high school (mostly on my own, but some in class). We did read The Scarlet Letter. And The Great Gatsby. We read Shakespeare (the standard ones for high school level, Romeo and Juliet and MacBeth) and Beowulf (by the time I had finished my B.A in English, I had read MacBeth and Beowulf four different times each, so I know those works well..LOL!)

I have a few favorites from my elementary/junior high days. Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner was one that everyone in my class clamored over to read, in part because there was movie based on it starring Buddy Ebsen, about a boy and his grandfather and a dog sled race. The New Kid on the Block by Jack Prelutsky was a book of funny poems and my first-grade class had to memorize and recite a poem from that book. I still remember what everyone's assigned poems were. Also all the Shel Silverstein poetry books, Where the Sidewalk Ends being one of my favorites.

I spend 5 years working in a public library so I'd see so many books I'd want to read, but also I'd get first chance at picking books from the discarded books before they went to the Friends' booksale. Plus when we went through the entire library and did a "weeding" before we moved the entire collection to a new building, I got a lot of great discards and found a lot of my childhood favorites that way.

I currently have two library cards. One being from library I used to work at, even though it's an hour away. I use it a lot for ebook checkouts. The other card is for the library in the biggest town near us, about 15 minutes away. I use it a lot more during the summer. Annabelle has had her card at this one since she was 4, but my old library she has to be 6 to get her card, so in a few weeks we'll be making a trip to get her card. :)

@leigh, my Hubby has the entire Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings. My go-to Halloween costume is Polgara the Sorceress. :)

You're welcome RS and thank you for the information about the book.
I will think more about before I decide to request book.

As I mentioned, we started a book club at NBC Days board.
It was interesting to see the book club meeting on the show.

Anna Karenina,To Kill A Mockingbird, anything by Agatha Christie, Lolita, Charlottes Web and the Godfather are just a few of my favs. I loooove to read and pretty much any variety. If it is good and keeps my attention, then I will read it lol

Huge reader as well my favs are: The Glass Menagerie, The Lovely Bones, 12 angry men, The Girl with the dragon Tattoo (series). anything I can relate to. Oh yea (hides) I've read Fifty Shades lol

Back