The character of Will is ruined for me

TylerJax

Reaction score
I have really tried to like the newer Will (Guy Wilson) but I have never quite liked the character as much as when Chandler Massey (former Will) had the role.

I'm not even sure I could like Will (if Chandler Massey returned) because this storyline is so terrible that I can barely root for Sonny and Will as a couple. In my opinion, Sonny deserves better. Marlena nailed it when she told Will he was behaving like Sami.

I agree. I think they changed the character to suit DA PLOT and also Guy Wilson's particular talents. (Not to mention changing the backstory of a few characters.) It's a darn travesty In My Opinion. They have torpedoed the only rootable couple on the show, who actually had a nice slow build to romance, by having Will act like an even stupider Sami.

Then again, what do I know? While sifting through some YouTube comments, I found there are actually people in this world who think Will is right and Sonny did him wrong. No fooling. :confused:

#1......When there is a recast - ANY RECAST - even with the same writers, the characters are different. It happened with Billie, Philip, Roman, Chad, Mickey, Jack, Jennifer, Belle, Shawn D, Abby, Stephanie......and yes, Will. The new actors just are NOT the old actors. It is not so bad if the recast is just short term.......but noticible otherwise.

I did not care for the CHARACTER of Will Horton once he was grown. I felt the character could have been given better material/lines/story to work with. I did not care for the previous portrayal of the character at all, and I do know many did.

#2 The present writers have not done justice to any of the characters, and I applaud the actors for really trying to make lemonade out of very sour lemons. The original actors have been given horrible transformations....Jen, Julie, Maggie, Melanie, John, Marlena.....all are not "themselves". Look at Hope, who we have seen doing Emmy winning work.....relegated to smiling at Aiden, and visiting hotel rooms with him. Even when they show her in cop mode, she no longer has a partner, and I really thought all cops had one.

#3 These writers are seemingly unable to capitalize on what gold they have. In re Will & Sonny, they just are stuck in that ridiculous mud hole that someone said once, and has become a "rule" for some soap writers...."once married, couples are boring, so they have to split up".
GOOD writers know better.
Thus the popularity of such series as MacMillan & Wife, Hart to Hart, Happy Days, I Love Lucy, lolo....heck, there is plenty of drama, problems in everyday life, whether you are married, single, young, old, raising children, not doing so. Empty Nesters, or newly "together".

Right now, I get the feeling that Will is faking all his "I take the blame". And I think Sonny is going to realize this.
And yes, these writers have absolutely wreaked havoc with a couple that so many viewers were happy with and rooting for. But me, I think Freddie Smith is the one who made the viewers feel that way. He has been opposite 2 different actors playing Will, and now a new one, playing Paul, and has just knocked it always out of the park.
I have no idea what is in store for Will, but I have this feeling that with these writers, it is gloom and misery, not just for him, for us all.

I actually like how Sonny and Paul are being written on the show. Sure, Sonny lying about the club wasn't right, but the actor is doing really well right now (as always) and I still love the character. And Paul, like Aiden, is one of the few newbies in the past few years who is actually interesting.

If Will and Sonny are happily ever after, they should be written out after their wedding. It would be a good send off.

And I have come to enjoy Guy Wilson as the new Will. I do enjoy this current storyline.

edited to add actor's last name - JS

deleted unnecessary quote; no need to quote the post that is directly above your own post - JS

I meant should have been written out. I would enjoy that as their end game.

Will's character changed too drastically, too quickly. The writers would try to have us believe that Will, who completely lost it on Sami for cheating on Rafe, would so easily cheat on Sonny. It's stupid and makes zero sense. Then his blaming everyone else has him beyond ruined.

I actually like how Sonny and Paul are being written on the show. Sure, Sonny lying about the club wasn't right, but the actor is doing really well right now (as always) and I still love the character. And Paul, like Aiden, is one of the few newbies in the past few years who is actually interesting.
I agree with you. Although the writers were making poor decisions character wise, I think they may have just gotten it right with Aiden and Paul. They are both great actors and are bringing a lot to the table. The Sonny/Paul/Will storyline is in my opinion the only interesting one on the show followed closely by John/Paul and the brady/baby storyline.

I'm just bummed that they keep bringing on these wonderful actors to play roles that they don't invest in. The material is awful, yet they blame the actors, who in many cases, are seasoned vets. The next thing the audience knows is they've been let go. That's my only pet peeve. They could have really built these characters up if they wanted too. I was excited when Melissa Archer (Serena) came on board. She was one of my favorites from one life to live. Same with Chrishell Strause (Jordan) from All My Children. But they ruined these characters too the point where we don't care about them and skip through their scenes.

If they were determined to change Will this drastically then I do agree. What they should have done is made a deal with Chandler Massey (former Will) before he left the show. Stick around for a few months, we'll get Sonny and Will married and plan an amazing send off. Then bring them back in a couple of years when all the drama died down with Guy Wilson playing Will if Chandler Massey was no longer interested. That way it would give us all a little breathing room. Everything was so fast paced that it ruined everything.

At this point I'm no longer a loyal Will and Sonny fan but am geared toward a reunion between Paul and Sonny. :love:

edited to add characters' names - please remember that not everyone knows the real names of the actors who play the various characters - JS

Good post DaytimeMistress. The Paul/Will/Sonny triangle is also my favorite thing about DOOL at the moment. Paul has been a blessing to my viewing interest. I still love the Will and Sonny pairing, but adding Paul to the mix revived a lot of interests to keep watching Days. Will and Sonny didn't have much of a storyline, Will left for LA, return, Sonny's new club was crumbling, these were fillers. Nothing they could build off.

Really happy with the addition of Paul to this show. It's also nice to give John something to deal with too. If Days kept Will and Sonny as background characters, I would shut out viewing by now.

And I really like Guy Wilson (Will). He seems very enthusiastic about this. So am I. Looking forward to more drama outta Salem.

edited to write out Will and Sonny's names - combo names are not permitted on this board - also edited to add character name - please remember that not everyone knows the real names of the actors who play the various characters - JS

Back