The Cop and the Bad Girl-A Rafe and Nicole Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 35: Take Care
Nicole had just finished packing up her things in her room & board at the church. She had come early in the morning specifically so that she wouldn't run into Eric. Nicole had already called Father Matt last night and told him that she was quitting her job. As she zipped up her last suitcase, she heard a knock at the door. Expecting Eric to have come for some odd reason, Nicole turned around quickly, but it was Chloe who was standing in the doorway.

"Hey," she said quietly. There were a few moments of silence.

"Hi," Nicole said back.

"You and Eric haven't been returning my calls. I just talked to Father Matt. Apparently, Eric has been forgiven and is still a priest."

"Yeah, I know," said Nicole. "He dumped me yesterday. He doesn't think we're meant to be."

"Oh," Chloe said, frowning in surprise. "I'm so sorry, Nicole. I know how much you two loved each other."

"Well apparently, love isn't enough," Nicole said sadly, fighting back the tears. She was successful.

"Look," said Chloe, "I know you're mad at me, and so is Eric, but I'm so sorry. I just felt it was better for all of us to get the lies out. It put so much pressure on us, and sucked away the positive aspects of our lives."

"Our lives, or yours?" Nicole asked harshly. Chloe looked hurt and stepped back a bit, but quickly regained her composure.

"I'm sorry Chloe. I'm just in a bad mood from everything that happened recently. But I do understand why you told the truth. And I forgive you." Nicole got up and hugged Chloe. "And thank you."

"For what?" Chloe asked.

"Relieving me of the lies. Making me realize that I was doing yet another bad thing. And that I should never have gotten back together with Eric. I now realize he was right; we weren't meant to be," Nicole said sadly.

"I'm sure you'll meet Mr. Right someday," Chloe said. "Heck, maybe you have already." The two friends smiled.

"Well, right now," Nicole began, "I'm gonna be single. I've gotta get over Eric before I can move on."

"I respect that," Chloe told her. "Now, let me help you bring some of this downstairs."

Rafe walked into Sami's office at Countess Wilhelmina. She was surprised.

"What are you doing here?" She said in a serious tone.

"Coming to say how messed up that was. Betraying your brother like that, nearly ruining his career, and of course, destroying his relationship with Nicole. Because of you, they're over."

"Well," Sami said, "at least he's finally seen the light, and he still has his job."

"Out of luck," said Rafe.

"If it makes you feel any better," Sami started, "Eric has completely ignored me for the past few days. But now he knows how I feel. My relationship with EJ is done, and I clearly have no chance with you. And it's all his fault, and Nicole's. And yours." Sami was frowning, clearly bitter.

"The only person at fault is you, Sami. You flit back and forth between men like a hummingbird does between flowers. This was inevitable. You treated Lucas and I like trash, and lost us both. Now EJ has woken up from his daydream and dumped you as well. What goes around comes around."

"Why are you here, Rafe?" Sami snapped. "Don't you have anything better to do than criticize me for the umpteenth time?"

"I didn't come for that, believe it or not. You just make it so easy to do." Rafe stepped forward, smirking. "But I care about Nicole, and I haven't seen her so sad in a while. I'm here to tell you to stay away from her, don't cause her anymore trouble."

"Or what"? Sami shouted back. She was doing her evil smirk that Rafe hated.

"Or you'll have me as an enemy." And Rafe gave her his infamous FBI glare before leaving the office.

Chapter 36: Wide Awake
There was a knock on Rafe's door. Although Rafe was at work, Nicole was there, job searching on the internet. She set down her soda and got up from the couch.

"One second!" Nicole shouted as she walked across the loft. She opened the door to Daniel.

"Hey, Daniel! Come in!"

"Hi. Nicole, I heard about what happened the other day. Chloe told me. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry."

"I thought you were gonna say 'I told you so'. " Nicole smiled a bit. Daniel also smiled and looked away.

"Well, I considered it, until I ran into Rafe today and he told me how sad you were."

"Well," Nicole said, "you were right. Secrets here never last. And I wasn't meant to be with Eric. We've never weathered a storm, and I think that's a telling sign. All these forces have kept us apart."

"Well Jennifer and I have weathered many a storm, and we've made it. Maybe you should just talk to Eric about this. Get him to change his mind," Daniel suggested.

"No, Eric's happy with his job," said Nicole. "And I don't want him back. He chose something else over me, and that's enough."

"Well...don't be mad, but I have an idea," said Daniel. He sat down at the bar as Nicole plopped down on the couch.

"Yes?" Nicole said in her nervous voice.

"Why not try to work things out with EJ?"

Nicole burst into laughter. "You've got to be kidding me?! You saw firsthand how ruthless he is! No way am I ever going back to him! He'll never change, but look, I already have!" Nicole held up the computer for Daniel to see her job searches.

"I quit my job at the church. It wasn't a good fit for me, and would've been super awkward with Eric hanging around there."

"Well, I'm happy for you. I'm sorry about what I said, about EJ. I just don't want you to be alone."

"I'll find someone someday," Nicole said. "But, like I've been telling everyone, I'm fine with being single now. Getting my act together, getting over Eric...My main priority is to find a job."

"Well, that's good. And by the way, your skills when helping me save Jennifer...well, she told Maxine and a few people. Now that Anne got laid off, we need someone to take her place as PR. If you're interested, I could put in good work..."

"YES! I'm interested!" Nicole shouted. "Oh, Daniel, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Daniel laughed. "No problem. We need someone now, and you're in need of a job. I can't promise anything, but I'll do my best. I'll take to Mr. Burns about it. Anyway, I've gotta go pick up Parker. I'll keep you in the loop."

"Thanks Daniel!". As he walked out of the door, Nicole closed the job search window and jumped up and down with glee. Finally something was going right in her life. Just then, the door opened up, and Rafe appeared.

"Hey Rafe!"

"Hey, Nicole. We should talk."

"OK," Nicole said, nervous by Rafe's serious tone. Rafe sat down next to her.

"I've contacted some of my friends about finding your baby. They don't know who hired Cameron yet, but they're looking into it."

"OK. Is that all?" Nicole said with hope. Perhaps her day would get better.

"No," Rafe said. "They have a lead. We think we know where he is."

Chapter 37: There Goes My Baby
Nicole was right: her day could get better. She jumped up with excitement. "Where is he, Rafe?"

Rafe sighed and looked down. "I can't promise you anything, you know that. We're not 100% sure."

"But it's something right? What percent are you sure?"

"About 75%," Rafe told her. "There was a suspicious 'family' that lives in Miami, known for selling babies, making money off of them. Cameron used to live down there, and we even have pictures of him in a coffee shop down there talking to one of the people in charge of this ring."

"Do you think Daniel Rafael is safe?" Nicole asked with worry. She couldn't bear the thought of having found out her child had survived, only to die before she could get to him.

"Yes, we think so," said Rafe. "The ring has no agenda but to sell the children and make money," he said.

"So where is he? Is he still in Florida? Does the family still have him?"

"No," Rafe said. "But we've found pictures of them in the late fall of 2012, right around the time your baby 'died'. They sold all of their children from late November-early December to people in Cuba. They have the money and means to sneak into that country. Fake passports from Canada, Britain and Mexico, and yachts. They sail with the babies to Havana, make the trade off, and go back to Miami."

"Oh my gosh," said Nicole, putting her hand on her chest. She sat back down, looking at the ground in disbelief. "Rafe, we'll never get him back! We'll be lucky if in a few years, the embargo is lifted, but there's nothing we can do! The only way to get there is if we have family in Cuba, and neither of us do."

"I have an idea, Nicole. I've thought this through." Rafe took out his Iphone. "Mexico is lovely this time of year, and it's only a few weeks until Nick's parole is lifted. He is taking my sister to Cancun for their honeymoon."

"OK, that's nice," Nicole said with no enthusiasm. "But what has that got to do with this?"

"Who said we need to go to Cuba from the US?" Rafe smirked.

Nicole got to thinking. "What do you have in mind?"

"I can fly to Cancun with Gabi and Nick. I'll set it up so that I can get a safehouse in Cuba. I'll fly from Mexico to there, it's only an hour-long flight. I'll get your baby back, fly back to Mexico, and then here. It'll be difficult, but not impossible."

"OK. Well then, I'm coming with you," said Nicole.

"You can't. This is too dangerous, and supposed to be top secret. Besides, if we both disappear, it'll look suspicious to a lot of people."

"Everyone in town seems to think we should be together, so we can pretend we are, and go on a romantic escape to Cancun," said Nicole in a mocking tone. Her and Rafe smiled a bit.

"It's too risky. Again, us going to the same place as my honeymooning sister and Nick?"

"We can say we just flew with them, and went to a different city in Mexico. Rafe, I have missed out on months of my baby's life because of a deceitful doctor and some lowlife swamp thugs in Miami. No way am I staying here to wait for weeks, possibly, for him to come back. And besides," she said, putting a hand on Rafe's arm, "I'll worry too much about you."

Rafe sighed. He saw the look on Nicole's face, and again realized the weakness he had for this blue eyes. "Alright, alright. I'll try to figure out a way for you to come."

"Yes! Thank you, thank you!" Nicole hugged Rafe tightly. Everything had fallen apart in her life so quickly. But just as quickly, now everything was coming together.

I think I'll do one chapter each day, as if it were a real soap episode. Maybe some days I won't write a chapter just to keep the suspense up, as if it were a pre-emption, lol.

I guess I will spend some time figuring out how to bind the chapters, when you feel you are done and the six hundred or so chapters are finished, we will have a book..... And you have may be two hundred years or so to finish it DD. I love to spend the time just sitting and reading the latest of the episodes... Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back