The Gala

Oh my goodness. The Gala styling has been either really good or really bad. LOL. I think in terms of overall styling, Marlena, Eve, Gabi and the majority of the men look fantastic. Jennifer's and Nicole's hair looks great but I'm not so sure about Jen's dress and Nicole's dress seems too casual and the glasses, while appropriate for the period, just aren't working for me. Kate, Adrienne, Hope, and Theresa look HORRIBLE. I seriously do not understand all the wigs. A good hairstylist should have been able to use the actresses' real hair and style appropriately for the time period. Caroline was in a category all on her own. :rotfl:

I couldn't believe my eyes. The hairdos and some of the dresses were all taken from the pages of my 1961 High School Annual!

Yeah, it was odd to see, but given the "event" I guess it's acceptable.

Now if you really want to see a Bee-Hive hairdo or a French Twist or even the Sandra Dee "flip" have tons of 'very fashionable' pictures.
For sure you will :rotfl:

I didn't see Monday's episode until last night, and OMG! I don't think I've ever seen such horrible clothing/wigs/hairstyles on this show, or any, actually! Theresa's wig was obviously too big for her head. I realize they were trying to copy the 60's style, but the wig itself was ridiculous. I feel bad for the actresses. Also, why were some people dressed up, and some dressed "normally"? I miss the days when the costumes were actually beautiful. (Think the coronation.)

The hair and outfits aside, I would have really liked it if Sonny (Days' first out and proud character), Abigail (basically the second female lead), and Sami (the female lead for so long) were there. It would have really felt like a 50th anniversary (for Days) celebration.

Call me strange. I enjoyed seeing all the characters who attended the gala. I thought the wigs and costumes reflected the early to mid- sixties accurately with just enough exaggeration to confirm that the attendees were in dress-up. Think of the first few seasons of Mad Men"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they went with the early/mid "Mad Men" 60's rather than the late Hippie 60's. At the end of "Another World", they did a celebration with the late 60's theme. :back:

Anyway a few of them were classy, and some over the top campy. :drunk: When Hope came in, she looked like when Carol Burnett played Eunice, or when she played Joan Crawford.:rotfl:

I thought Abby looked like Natalie Wood. (Too bad she missed the party) I guess Salem is pretty small since hardly anyone but the cast was there. If they kill too many more off it will be a ghost town. :) I was disappointed that there were no quest veterans for this. I was also disappointed that they didn't show any interaction between Gabi and Julie.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue was more with the hair over the dresses. The majority of the hairstyles just weren't working for me. Eve and Jenn looked best because they weren't wearing wigs. Maggie and Julie had their regular hairstyles. Gabi looked ok too.

Marlena's hair seemed to soften as the week progressed.

As for the dresses, I think Caroline was the worst but I also hated Jenn's. Way too much going on.

Eve, Jeannie T, Gabi, Ciara, Julie all looked ok as did Marlena

Nicole did not look like she was dressed for the period at all

Nicole may have balked at a wig; something was bumping out the back of her do. Maybe the glasses were supposed to illustrate the pre-contact early 60's? :rolleyes:

The actress does wear glasses in real life, as do many of the actors. Actually, there is a clip here in another thread of the very first episode of Days, and Julie's hair (a flip) was very much like Adrienne's at the gala. As Mtnmom noted above, they DID emulate the hairdo's of that time.
Now we may not like the look now, but at the time, everyone did. It was a THEME gala. They could have gone with the period of late 1800s when the home was built, but chose to go with the 60s, which is when the Martins purchased the home. Also thought it would be easier for ALL the townspeople to do, rather than the 1890s.

I graduated high school in the mid 60's and most of the hair was par for the times. I never saw anything like Theresa's though.:rotfl::rotfl:

Back