The Name Game in Salem...and other places

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
From another thread:

Does [Raines] have a first name?
Heavy Raines??? Summer Raines??? When it Raines? Maybe he will just stay with "Lieutenant." After all, that was Columbo's (a Peter Falk character) first name.

----

What do you think Raines' first name is?

If Jade married Brian Austin Green, she would be Jade Green.

If Hope marries Rafe, her name will be Hope Hernandez. Those double H's would make a nice monogram.

Actually, I always found it interesting how/why Days names characters. There really is too much of the "naming after other characters", so many, not listing. And gets confusing when they name a baby Arianna, which is an actress's real life name (Nicole), or call her Allie, which is another actress's real life name. (Sami).

Then we had Shane and Shawn, even real life actors named Shawn Christian (Daniel) and Sean Christopher (Paul).

Guess maybe, after naming characters after seasons (Autumn, Summer) maybe the writers figured a first name of Lieutenant was "cute". After all, they named a disease on Days after one of the writers (Topits) LOLOL

I like Raines and like that he is not letting the Salem PD get away with stuff like Roman did. I hope we see some character development too.

Marshall
Mason
Caleb
Tyler
Timothy
Mark
Brent

Trying to think of soap-like names that Days hasn't used recently

Maybe his first name is Tropical, but more likely Icy. LOL.

Odd, he doesn't have a first name. But then, some of the goons/thugs only have had one name. :)

You're probably right, KathyLu ! :)

And this all reminds me of The Big Bang Theory. The character of Penny doesn't have a last name. No need for one, I guess. To emphasize "the girl next door" thing.

In the case of Raines, though, I'm thinking maybe (or at least I hope), he will mellow out with time, and then, to further illustrate this, we will learn of his first name. Not very original as a writing tactic, but then again, who says Days' "writers" are even capable of writing original suff.

There have been a lot of shows in which a character's first or last name isn't given (or not known until the finale).

I remember on the NBC show, the Pretender. The character of Miss Parker never had a first name (although some online sources swear it was Monica).

On the show Entourage, Ari Gold's wife had no first name until the finale. She was called "Mrs. Ari" during the whole series. Then we found her name was Melissa.

Chris Noth went through all of Sex and the City as "Mr. Big" until the last scene of the last episode when we saw his name was John on Carrie's cell phone.

The fact he doesn't have a first name would leave me to believe his role is short.
I don't know, Eras, but the role could evolve. On the daytime soap, The Doctors, there was a nurse whose name wasn't even known for a period of time. She was just in the background of the hospital set. Later, she got a few lines to say here and there, and we found out her name was Carolee (played by Carolee Campbell.) Even later, we discovered her last name was Simpson. As the years passed, her role grew until she became one of the main characters on the show.

That's true, JS, but I think, from the descriptions of her over the years, it's a good thing we never saw Maris.

Always liked the doorman on Rhoda.....lol.

Budget cuts have forced Days to go to some very peculiar measures...i.e. Abe lwas Police Chief, Commissioner, Mayor. Roman was Captain, Chief, Commissioner, and I just wonder if he will still be around. Have to check the credits next week. Did the actor retire for real?

So Lt. Raines....is he Commissioner? How did he get that job without being "Captain"? Or is it temp?

Ah, yes....Carlton, the doorman.

Then there's Charles Townsend (John Forsythe on Charlie's Angels).

How about Richard Diamond, Private Detective (David Janssen)? Mary Tyler Moore (playing Sam) was on the show but we only heard her voice, and only her legs were shown.

Last edited:
Always liked the doorman on Rhoda.....lol.
"this is Carlton your doorman" Ahhh, the memories!

Agent Cooper's secretary, Diane, on Twin Peaks was never seen or heard either. You mainly only heard her name when he was dictating his thoughts/notes into a mini tape recorder.

On Big Bang, Howard's mother was always heard, never seen. (I know the actress has now passed away, but she sure made an impact while on the show).

And then infamous next door neighbor on Home Improvement, also always heard, never seen, except for maybe the hat/forehead. LOL

Come to think of it, Days has had "invisible" characters like Maris from time to time, even though we had seen them at some point. Mickey, Bo, Caroline all were in the kitchen, out of town, upstairs sick, at the office, etc. etc. Currently, the invisible one is Caroline.

I would really like to find something out about Lt. no name Raines, his prior life, where he worked before, family? Etc. He is so rigid, a stickler for the rules, there just has to be a reason.

Meanwhile....Finchelcaine........the suggestion of "Claude" was brilliant! LOL

Back