The Oscars...did you watch?

cryin4days

Reaction score
One of the major reasons I watched was because Ellen was hosting! She's amazing. Highlights were her ordering pizza for the audience and then asking for help to pay for it....she actually had a hat taking up donations. The pizza delivery man made his television debut. Her coming on stage dressed as Glinda the Good Witch after Pink's performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (great performance by the way) was hilarious. But the highlight for me had to be the selfie that broke Twitter. It has over 2 million retweets - a new Twitter record. BhxWutnCEAAtEQ6.jpg

As far as awards go, the one that truly touched my heart was Lupita Nyong'o winning for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Patsey in 12 Years a Slave. Her acceptance speech literally had my heart hurting and brought tears to my eyes.

I wrote this earlier in the donut thread....

Oh, yes, almost forgot. Watched the Oscars last night, was really nice to see some of the "oldies but goodies" as presenters. Had not seen Kim Novak in years and years. they did a tribute to Wizard of Oz, and Pink did a beautiful job of singing Over the Rainbow, with clips of the movie & Judy Garland being shown at times. Her 3 children were seated together.
And the "In Memoriam" was done beautifully, with Bette Midler coming out and singing Wind Beneath My Wings. It was so heartfelt, and the audience gave her a standing ovation, which surprised her.

And P.S. I retweeted that pic, thought it so fun thing to suggest...and got the shock of my life, when the retweet was not going thru, I got a message asking if my account will let me do this....so I refreshed the page, and got the "error" message, that is how fast twitter crashed. LOL Last I saw was 640,000 retweets, and a couple hundred thousand "favorites". But I use my computer, and just closed it off.

I got the picture on my facebook within seconds of Ellen tweeting it. (I get her show posts.) It took me several attempts to share it, because it was also slowing down and almost knocking out facebook from the high number of shares there.

My favorite parts of the entire show were the Judy Garland tribute and the singing of Let It Go. Most of the show was just plain boring to me. The whole thing could've been done in an hour if all of the junk was cut out. I ended up playing a DVD on my portable player at the same time. Plus played games on facebook.

I found several of things on internet this morning.
I enjoyed Pink and Bette Midler singing.

I didn't enjoy Ms DeGeneres opening monologue. It wasn't funny

It seemed like Ellen was pushing it last night, and then had a blank look when some things didn't get big laughs. The pizza bit took up a huge amount of time when all of the segments are added up. None that was funny either.

I heard Bette Midler from the other room without realizing that it was her until she was finished. I've always loved her music.

I watched the first half hour, because The Walking Dead was coming on and I can't miss it ever. Meant to dvr the Oscars, but forgot completely and now I'm sad about that. Love that Ellen broke Twitter, though.

I watched some of the red carpet stuff beforehand because I like to see the dresses but did not watch the actual show. I haven't seen any of the movies and really don't care for any of the awards shows anymore. I will watch the Daytime Emmy's though. :)

how did she break Twitter?

I read an interesting article about the MC job and Ellen. Seth McFarland's hosting job was panned big time last year....and the Oscars wanted a whole different thing. There was discussion about how well Billy Crystal had done at first, but the last time was not all that well received. The Oscars supposedly have not made up their minds yet what they want to be....last couple of years was younger, edgier, hip, and it was a turnoff.
Anyway, when they decided to ask Ellen again, she said no. Once was enough. Nope, she wanted no part of it, much too stressful, etc. But evidently they wore her down, and she agreed to give it another go. She absolutely was not going to try and wear a gown (She says that during her first go round, she was being taught how to wear heels and walk in them, with gown, etc. and the guy who made Miss Congenialty happened to come in, and was inspired to write that into the movie, he thought it a brilliant addition)
She insisted on no opening musical number for her, no dancing - she does enough on her show.
I also had not seen any of the movies, and a few, I really have no interest in seeing.
Have not watched the Oscars the last few years, tho I catch some of the red carpet, and sometimes the opening stuff. Last year, Seth McF opened with a musical number "We Saw Your Boobs".....and I watched a bit of it, was so turned off, that I turned off the whole show. One wonders at times, "what are the producers/directors thinking?

Last night's telecast of the Oscar's was the most watched entertainment telecast in 10 years. They will probably try to tap Ellen to host again in coming years. See article below from EW.

"The 3.5-hour program hosted by Ellen DeGeneres delivered a whopping 43 million viewers and a 12.9 rating among adults 18-49. That’s the biggest non-sports audience since NBC’s 2004 Friends finale. It also represents the third year in a row for the ratings to rise, up 6 percent from 2013. The Oscars out-delivered January’s Golden Globes by 22.1 million viewers and the Grammy Awards by 14.5 million viewers.

According to Nielsen’s Social Guide, there were 11.2 million tweets about the event, with overall Oscar social media activity outpacing last year by 75 percent. ABC’s Oscar’s Red Carpet Live pre-show was also up, with the final half-hour delivering 27.6 million viewers."

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/03/oscar-ratings-2014/

By the way, I really dislike that term "selfie". I have no idea who came up with it, and yes I know it is a photo of one's self, but it just seems silly to me. However, I have heard it and read it so many times.....am guessing it came from twitter, with their limit on letters. (I wish I knew just WHY it sounds almost like a breed of dog. LOL

LOL, In my opinion, the Oscars did not have too much competition. Downton Abbey was over, CBS had Amazing Race, while NBC did Dateline and another episode of The Voice which is like the 3rd or 4th in a week, I swear. And I am thinking a lot of people tuned in strictly because it was Ellen hosting.

I did watch the red carpet. I saw Bette Milder, I’m very happy to have caught her singing, she is a favorite of mine, otherwise the speeches are too long, and the show is too long. At 10:00 I switched back and saw the most important awards, best actor, actress, Director, and picture.

What surprised me was that NO ONE was ever cut off during their acceptance/thank you speeches. In the past, when someone went on too long, music started up, got louder and louder. They are give 90 seconds. Some go under. Mathew McConaughey took 3 minutes!!!

Back