The Oscars...did you watch?

I watched the two On the Red Carpet pre shows and then the Main event then the red carpet after show & finally Jimmy Kimmel's Oscar special.

That was way to many TV watching hours!

The funny thing is I hadn't seen any of the shows.. but I have seen all the talk show promos and was really interested to see how it would turn out. I thought it was a great show, I do like Ellen so that helps. I didn't love the Liza comment, but that was the only mean thing really. I think it was so mild if you look back at the last few years shows and how nasty some hosts were.

I grew up in an Oscar watching family, we would make score sheets & everything~ I think that is why I watched it all, just like why I still watch Days, habit!

(Plus I was sick last night.. so it wasn't like I was going/needing to be doing anything else anyway!)

removed texting symbol....JS

I thought Ellen did a great job. The pizza bit was funny and I like how she interacts with the audience. She did this last time too.

A few big snafus:
1. Pepsi is a sponsor yet Coca-Cola logo was on the pizza boxes
2. Samsung was sponsoring Ellen to take the selfies all night yet she was tweeting backstage from both an iPhone and an Android device
3. The biggest of them all. John Travolta introduced the "Wickedly talented" Idina Menzel as "Adele Dazim". Twitter is still going nuts over this one and Travolta still hasn't apologized.

My favorite acceptance speeches were Cate Blanchett and the Lopezes. Well done.

I was bummed Saving Mr Banks didn't win for Best Score. That music was amazing.

I read that Travolta had not shown up for rehearsals...no idea if true. I liked what Jared ? said. (Best supporting actor, was at beginning...he wore the white jacket, had really long hair)

That is what I thought as well. Thus, not showing up for rehearsal, he would not have known how to pronounce the name correctly.

I heard the rehearsal thing on the radio last night too plus he wasn't wearing glasses however, that and dyslexia are still not an excuse for botching her name in my opinion. Him botching the name shows that he had no idea who Idina Menzel is which is rather odd considering he has 2 young kids and she has now appeared in at least 2 Disney movies(Enchanted and Frozen). It also shows he didn't take the time to learn the name of who he was introducing, rehearsals or not.

I'm curious to see if he apologizes.

To tell the truth, I never heard of Idina Menzel either, however, the Dyslexia makes him see the letters differently, thus his mispronunciation. Yes, I find it hard to believe he did not check on the name if he did not come to the rehearsals.
A man I know, who sometimes has to do scripture reading at church services, always practices before hand, and his wife helps him with Biblical names and places that he may see differently than others do. So he practices, and really, if he had not told me his problem, would never know.

I am not a Ellen fan so didn't watch it....I did read some reviews and they were not kind. Said she was pretty brutal and unkind in her opening monologue. What did you all think?

rascals, she said some bad things in her monologue. She made fun of
the an older Oscar nominee by speaking louder at her, implying she
was deaf. The woman is 84. Not a good thing to do when so many
older people are.

I watched the entire show with my daughter and granddaughters. (They had a snow day on Monday so got to stay up late)
We had our own poll going on who picked the most winners. I won :clap: Even though Charlie Anne the 3 year old insisted she won as well. Joey who is 8, dressed up and "walked the red carpet". Loved seeing Bette Midler and Matthew McConaughey's speech brought tears to my eye. And when he presented with Kim Novak he was just wonderful with her - she seemed to be having a lot of trouble, it was sad. It was also sad they left Dennis Farina out of the in memoriam presentation.

The girls were so excited every time anything Frozen related was on as we all just adored that movie! I enjoyed the show and may have missed some things while watching my granddaughters instead.

I guess it's good I don't waste my time watching it anymore.

I used to watch and guess who might win short films and things
like that

To tell the truth, I never heard of Idina Menzel either, however, the Dyslexia makes him see the letters differently, thus his mispronunciation. Yes, I find it hard to believe he did not check on the name if he did not come to the rehearsals.
A man I know, who sometimes has to do scripture reading at church services, always practices before hand, and his wife helps him with Biblical names and places that he may see differently than others do. So he practices, and really, if he had not told me his problem, would never know.

Lots of actors have dyslexia. Patrick Dempsey from Grey's Anatomy also has it and has to verbally learn his lines I believe. Ice Dancer Meryl Davis also has it. Doesn't seem to stop either of them either. :)

Tom Cruise, John deLancie (Eugene on Days), Albert Einstein, Henry Winkler (The Fonz!), Steven Spielberg, Harry Belafonte.....Yes, lots of actors have it. Truly amazing.

I also have dyslexia, it has been a true struggle all of my life. When I have to read out loud, especially at church with scripture reading, I really worry about my words coming out wrong.

Today on the View Whoopi Goldberg said John Travolta was there during the rehearsal.

Back