The Paradise & Downton Abbey -

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love this new series on PBS, The Paradise. Sunday evening. Based on the founding and beginnings of the famous dept. store in London, Selfridges, it is totally engrossing. Mystery, intrigue, just a hint of romance so far, actually very little. But interesting how, in those days, the salesgirls were all housed together, and under a strict set of behavior rules. Am hooked.

And then, it is followed by reruns of Season 2 of Downton Abbey, the war years, when Downton allowed a good portion of the house to be turned into a rehabilitation place for wounded soldiers. Evidently I missed some of these episodes, so am thrilled I am getting to see them.

This past Sunday, PBS did a special on the Tower Of London, which was so interesting to me, especially since I was there, some years ago. A lot has changed now, it seems. Still facinating.

The Downton Abbey repeats are on too late for me, but I found one on at 4a this morning. Perfect!!! I hadn't seen it before.

I am hooked on The Paradise. I discovered last night that I could watch it online before it was broadcast on NBC! Nice find, since I usually have a hard time staying awake to watch during the normal broadcast hour.
I'm trying to figure out who this Jonas character is. What is his relationship to the owners? He seems to have everyone under his thumb.

LOL, really ...can you watch it online first? I missed it last night. I watched the Secrets of Selfridges (the dept. store on which Paradise is based) and I dozed off near the end, woke up having missed Paradise, but watched Downton Abbey, and then, Keeping Up Appearances, 2 episodes. LOL. Went to bed, and could not fall asleep. They reran Paradise at midnight, but I did not think I could stay awake that long, so went to bed. (but yes, I WAS awake. But that Jonas guy...no idea why he has so MUCH influence/power on everyone. PM me with where you found to watch the show. Thank you!

I'm confused about the last episode of The Paradise. The episode identified as episode 8 on youtube looks like the one identified as episode 7 on the Masterpiece site. Did the season end with Moray leaving the wedding and finding Denise on the street and kissing her? No episodes after that????????

Yes, and I got confused too. But, I think we got one 2 hr. show, so it was a combo. However, they have filmed a Season 2, and they have already shown it in Great Britain, so we should be seeing it probably in January or Feb.

It starts about a year later. I know a bit that happens, but unless you want to get spoiled, I won't tell. LOLOL

Season 2 of Downton Abbey is over, and they said they will run Season 3 in December, with the new season beginning Jan. 5th I believe.

I'm finally getting caught up with The Paradise. It was taking too long to get it from Netflix so decided to watch it on PBS.org. I'm really liking this one, and was happy to see several actors /actresses who have been on past Masterpiece Theater period shows.

Oh, wow, On The View today, they had a lot of the cast members from Downton Abby, the women especially look so different when not in their "period" hair styles and clothes.
Good news...Season 4 is coming up, but there is definitely going to be a Season 5. I loved that Whoopie, & Barbara Walters in particular have obviously watched the show.

They talked of the cast members who have opted to leave...Lady Sybyl, Michael, Mrs. O'Brien. Robert explained that contracts are different in England and that they don't have clauses beyond the 3 years. So...actors want to move on. Thomas said he gets meaner and meaner this season. Tom talked of the babies he & Mary have now, and Mar noted that her character is not all that maternal, so as much as she personally would like to ooh, ahh, and cuddle, that is not Mary.
They had Mrs. Hughes, and the lady who plays the cook (who cannot cook in real life). Mrs. Hughes was asked if there would ever be something between her and Mr. Carson, but she says they would have to ask Julian Fellowes (creator of the show). They did show a few clips....one had the kitchen getting a mixmaster, and the cook refusing to use it. New fangled invention. LOL

Back