The Pina Colada Cake

Dahs ya like the new version of the rummy cake?

• Like it better.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Don't like it better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know....let me sleep on it.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Still prefer Rew to make the dang thing for me. :)

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chateaurew

Reaction score
Indiana wants me...Lord I can't go back there
Hokay.....I have been experimenting with my original Rum Cake recipe and came up with this wonderful connoction so I figgered ya would like to try it too...let me know what cha think hokay...and be creative with it..more of this...less of that whatever ma petite chouchous. :)

so here goes......

set your oven for 350 degrees.

here are the ingredients:

you will need:

a bundt pan or baby bundts (they are so cute)
dusted with oil and flour with pecans or walnut chunks placed on the bottom

a pineapple upside down cake mix (if you get the kind with pudding in it forgo the pudding)
a large box of coconut cream pudding
4 eggs
pkg of shredded coconut
small bottle of marachino cherries
1 small can of pineapple rings
1/2 cup of pineapple juice (reserved from the can)
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of..... RUM could be spice, coconut...whatever but the darker or the spicier the better!)

for the sauce:
1 cup of butter (1 stick)
1 cup of BROWN sugar
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of RUM

additional ingredients
1 glass of rum and coke (as always....hold the coke if ya want. :) )

begin by coating the bundt cake pan with oil spray and flour. Then in lieu of nuts, add the pineapple rings and marachino cherries and a great sprinkle of coconut.

Now...by adding the dry ingredients together in bowl, slowly mixing with electric mixer. then add in eggs and liquids (rum/pineapple/oil) alternating. when all is in give that sucker a good spin...maybe a few minutes
observe the spinning as you take another drink.....

IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOME COCONUT TO THE MIX GO AHEAD....OR JUST USE IT FOR SPRINKLING IN THE SAUCE.

so ya know that its really mixed together now? great!

take a drink... you've worked hard. :)

now pour the batter into the bundt pan/mini bundt tins

put in the center of your oven and cook for 60 minutes.

take another sippy poo.

hokay now comes the best part....
the sauce... NOW do this exactly as I tell ya if you don't want to loose the POTENCY!

In a heavy sauce pan, add the butter, water, BROWN sugar together and put on a medium high heat... when it starts to bubble continuously stir it with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes straight! (I know..I know.. when's the drinky break coming... it ain't keep stirring..lol) After 5 minutes take the sauce off the stove and place on heat resistance area. LET IT COOL DOWN...AT LEAST 10 MINUTES OKAY!!!! THEN..... NOW WHEN ITS COOL...ADD IN THE RUM AND MIX TOGETHER. YES...YOU CAN HANG YOUR HEAD OVER IT AND BREATH DEEPLY...LOL!

hokay... cake comes out at 60 minutes when.... the oven beeps or you touch the top of cake and it springs back nicely.. should have a golden brown look...may even be really poofy and alas that will drop a bit when it comes out....

okay... take cake out and put on a rack. carefully poke tiny holes ( I use a fork or even a skewer for this) as many times as possible without breaking the cake up... NOW slowly pour half the sauce mixtures by spoon/ladel over the top of the cake...make sure it runs down the sides between cake and pan. YOU CAN ADD SOME OF THE COCONUT AT THIS TIME.
when this is done place a plate over the top (you can line this plate with aluminum foil especially if you plan to ship this one out - good time to do it NOW)
and then flip the cake over...it should slide out really easy because you let the sauce run down the sides right? hokay... poke a few more holes in the new top of cake and then slowly drizzle the remaining half of sauce over the cake AND ADD MORE COCONUT IF YOU LIKE

remember to keep it covered and keep it cool if ya don't eat it all at once...and it can be frozen as well.

AND THERE YA GO EH!:smile: GIVE IT A TRY!

yum, I think they both sound absolutely wonderful. I just hate baking. So Rew if you're baking I'm eating.
:D :smile:

Oh wow, I am a coconut freak and this new version of the rum cake sounds fantastic. I will have to put in on my holiday bake list. Thanks for the great descriptions and directions, rew!
I love how you said you know the cake's done when the oven beeps. LOL.

@rew, this cake came out great and was a hit ... I mean is a hit. I haven't drank ... I mean eaten ... the whole cake yet. Very good, moist, even light, which I wasn't expecting. And very easy to make. The cake came out of the bundt pan perfectly, which is always nerve-wracking. Next time I make it, I may forgo the pineapple cake mix and juice, and use a yellow cake mix. I wanted more of a coconut flavor. This is a recipe that can be adapted easily.

Off topic, every time I say bundt, I think of that hilarious scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when the groom's parents brought a bundt cake to the bride's Greek parents and her mother had no idea what it was. LOL.

Thanks for the recipe and encouragement, rewski!

I used to make a slightly different version of this every New Year's Eve, great for the next day (hangovers)!! It was my mother's Orange-Rum cake receipe, also very moist.

Once I find where I packed the wooden spoons and Bundt pan, I'll need a "sippy poo."
Sounds like this isn't on our diet, but what the hell... you only live once!!! Will be baking this as my anniversary cake next month.
:D

Rew, there aren't enough Mmmmmmmmmmmms to tell you how good it was.... easy to mix... baked beautifully.... came out of the pan very easily..... great. Of course I'll be redoing it... next time, though, instead of a small can of pineapple slices, I'll buy a large can. The small can I bought did not contain 1/2 cup juice, and only 4 slices pineapple! WHOOPS! Fortunately, I had a large can and was able to fill out the hpoles. Had 6 slices pineapple in bottom of bundt pan... added cherries, in slices and between them around outside. Very good.
Many thanks, I have a family member who thinks she is chef, ( she isn't ) and she approved the cake whole heartedly. Normally, she tells me what I should have done to make it better. This time she didn't. So many thanks for the receipe.
Used a 3 qt. saucepan for sauce... heavy enough that I didn't have to hold it, and could use left hand for beverages!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I am so glad that you enjoyed making the cake and that it was such a big success. I hope you didn't tell your family member where you got it from....remember...it was all your idea.:wink:

What i love the best is that everyone who tries the recipe comes up with some new way of doing it or adding new ingredients to it.

I'm working on a chocolate version but don't hold your breath. :D

Rew - back in Nineteen and Seventy-something, maybe Nineteen and Eighty or so (LOL) I made the chocolate version of this. Trust me it IS to die for. Dark Chocolate cake, dark chocolate pudding and Dark Rum. You could probably dust the pans with cocoa, too.

Also, when I take the cake out of the oven, I leave it in the pan and pour the glaze onto it to soak through. Then, after a bit, take it out, wrap in foil and turn every day or so (top to bottom to top) so that the glaze would be well distributed through-out the cake. This cake can easily be done as cupcakes, too.

you schmart cookie! I flip the cake over and douze it with the sauce but eventually it all goes to one end...so that's a great idea! I love making the smaller versions and actually found a baby bundt pan....makes six little ones at a time.

I will have to try the chocolate version again for V-Day. Tanks!!!! :)

I didn't tell anyone where I got the receipe. Printed it out, and used the page with ingredients listed. Gonna have to learn how to get only the part I want and not print the rest.
My Mom asked how I came to use a Bundt pan... I said just did..... why not?
Looking forward to doing it again... many thanks....

Back