Tomato Gravy

K

ktspirit

I had a request for this recipe, but since I don't go by a recipe, I'll add this link and make some notes. Just be creative.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/4989/tomato-gravy-for-biscuits.html

1st, I don't use canned tomatoes, just fresh out of my garden, peeled, seeded, and chopped as coarsely or as finely as you like. I don't like really big chunks, but they will cook down some.
2nd, vegetable oil makes a better roux in my opinion, but if you want to use bacon drippings, works for me.
3rd, keep the heat fairly low and stir the flour in a little at a time, you just want enough to take up the oil, not get clumpy. It should be like a smooth, thin paste, no visible oil.
4th, slowly brown the roux until it's golden.
5th, fresh tomatoes may have to cook a little longer, but once you add them, the juices will start to make gravy.
6th, add seasonings of choice. I like mine simple. Milk goes in last, do not scorch.

I hope this gives you some ideas. I don't know about the measurements, I just go with how much I want to make. If it's not thick enough, I'll add a bit of cornstarch mixed with water until smooth, just a little at a time.

Thank you for the tips, kt. I start with a roux when I make primavera and alfredo sauces.
I was a little confused when I read the recipe about when to add the tomatoes. The online recipe had them going in before the milk. Then lower down it said to add them after the milk. I'll do it your TNT (Tried and True) way.

Hmmm, I bought the Red Lobster cheddar biscuit mix at Sam's Club today. I wonder how tomato gravy would taste over those?

Man, oh, man... I had to click on this to see what the heck Tomato Gravy was !! I have never heard of it in my life, and that's pretty long (Thank you, Lord)
Being a native born Californian, but lived all over place, where is this a popular side dish?? Not trying to be silly, just very curious.
The Red Lobster cheddar biscuit mix is known to me and I'll just add a quick lick of the lips for that but Tomato Gravy???
Somebody, please email me with info, inquiring minds want to know !!:D

Mtnmom - I had never heard of this before now. A lot of people in the upper midwest refer to spaghetti sauce as GRAVY, but this Tomato Gravy that kt is talking about seems to be a southern dish with tomatoes instead of sausage. I like sausage gravy over biscuits, but will only eat it from one restaurant up here in northwestern Pennsylvania.

This sounds like a main dish just like biscuits and sausage gravy. That is VERY filling, and can be too heavy on the stomach if you eat too much at one sitting.

This is the recipe from the website that kt posted for me. I'll try it with the tips she posted above.

Ingredients
How to make it

• Heat oil in deep skillet (cast iron works great) until just hot. This stuff will grow and you need to make sure your pan is deep enough that it will not overflow. Add flour evenly and stir constantly with a wooden spoon, being careful not to burn. This is the roux. It should be blond colored. Add tomatoes and juice and stir to stop roux from cooking. Continue cooking over low heat for about 5 minutes to cook tomatoes.
  • Add milk slowly stirring constantly until blended and smooth. You may need more milk to get consistency that you want.
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Ladle over split biscuits

Definitely add the tomatoes before the milk, RS, or the milk will curdle (yuck). Try the gravy with whatever you like, there are no rules, lol.
It is a southern dish, Mtn, just like red-eye gravy. Quite popular here in the deep south.

LOL, never ever heard of it either, and have close family in the south, who love to cook, and they have never ever mentioned it either. Can't say when I traveled down south, ever saw it on a restaurant menu. Obviously it exists....since recipes are out for it.

Squirrel is right about folks in midwest referring to spaghetti sauce as gravy. My dear friend just suggested I make a big pot of "gravy" for the company I am getting next week.

LOL, Poirot. I think you would be more likely to find this gravy at a country breakfast buffet than on a menu.

Back