Tribute to John Aniston (Victor)

Mouillette4447

Reaction score
What did you guys/gals think of the John Aniston (Victor) tribute at the end of Monday's episode? I thought it was nice and the last few clips almost made me cry a little because I knew it was coming to the end, and it would officially be the last we see of Victor Kiriakis.

I wonder if they will write his death into new story lines, or if he'll just be mentioned as being off-screen.

I'm guessing like Alice and Caroline, they'll probably have him die in his sleep and someone (Maggie?) will find him dead in bed, then come down and tell the others. Or maybe they'll say Maggie and Victor are on vacation somewhere and she'll call home to say he died in his sleep. Just speculation.

I agree there were a few things lacking, but there was a theme and Victor as the big-bad didn't fit. I think what they prepared was appropriate to how they want the character remembered.

I hope they write out Victor Jock Ewing style, send him on an adventure off-screen and then kick off a storyline about his succession. But that would require Philip, in whom the show has no interest in investing, and Bo, who is not dead but some viewers will think is dead, or at least Ciara and Shawn-D, the former of whom is not interested in a Salem presence and the latter of whom may or may not be in town at any given moment.

So I think we'll get a scene of Maggie finding Victor off-screen and telling other people about it, which will be underwhelming for such a strong character.

I remember when Macdonald Carey (Tom Horton) died, it took them months to acknowledge it. Now I know it was because they filmed so far ahead. I think that is one of the pitfalls of filming so much ahead. In todays world of technology, you would think they could add scenes to address these circumstances much sooner

The thing is....What we are seeing now was filmed sometime in late summer. John Aniston already was very limited on how much time he could spend on set.......plus the show had placed limits on how many could be on set at same time (Covid). Brandon Beemer (Shawn D) said there was a beautiful scene written for Shawn & Victor, but there was not time/opportunity to film it, with all that was going on. It was really great they were able to put this tribute in so soon......as it took months before there was anything for Tom, Alice, Mickey or Caroline.

I remember when Macdonald Carey (Tom Horton) died, it took them months to acknowledge it. Now I know it was because they filmed so far ahead. I think that is one of the pitfalls of filming so much ahead. In todays world of technology, you would think they could add scenes to address these circumstances much sooner
Macdonald Carey (Tom Horton) died March 21, 1994 and they had Tom die off-screen June 21, 1994, which was only three months later. For a soap, that wasn't too bad of a lag time between the death of the actor and character (since they have to work it into the storylines).

Frances Reid (Alice Horton) died February 3, 2010 and they had Alice die on June 23, 2010, which was only four months later. For Days in 2010, that was a pretty good lag time, too.

Peggy McCay (Caroline Brady) died October 7, 2018 (although the actress left the show August 24, 2016) but Caroline's death wasn't written into the show until June 19, 2019. Will "died" from his brain tumor on June 19, 2019, but saw Caroline in the afterlife. She told him it wasn't his time (a lookalike actress was hired for the scene). After Will "came back", Kim called Roman to say that Caroline had died in her sleep. The next day, the Bradys held a wake at the pub and the lookalike actress was shown looking into the pub (as Caroline's spirit) at her family one last time.

John Aniston (Victor) died November 11, 2022. My guess is we won't have a mention of Victor's death until sometime in May of 2023 (or later).

But to piggyback on my foolish hope & what Poirot said, it's at least possible that they were smart enough to prepare for this. He recently passed but hadn't filmed since July or so, a guess based on tape lag, so hopefully they were planning for this.

He's not just sitting down in his last few appearances, he's hardly moving. Starting a big exit (off-screen) for an actor too sick/weak to appear might not be a stretch. (To quote Kim Zimmer, I'm Just Sayin'.)

Macdonald Carey (Tom Horton) died March 21, 1994 and they had Tom die off-screen June 21, 1994, which was only three months later. For a soap, that wasn't too bad of a lag time between the death of the actor and character (since they have to work it into the storylines).

They were only taping a month ahead of time then, but I remember in the articles they said they had to wait a bit for Tom to die until the Aremid storyline wrapped so the cast that was in Aremid could attend his funeral. If it weren't for Aremid, then his death may have been possibly a month or so earlier.

That reminds of when the Salem Strangler (Jake Kositchek) killed Marlena and the viewers lost their collective minds, flooding the studio with phone calls and even protesting outside of the studio gates. Then a few days later we found out it was really Samantha who was killed. To this day I still read comments about how people think the viewer outrage led Days to rewrite the storyline and re-tape scenes to say it was Samantha and not Marlena. Not only was it always planned to be Samantha, but there was no way to re-do the whole storyline in just a couple days. They would've needed a lot more time to change direction and write it into the existing storylines (like having to wait for the Aremid storyline to wrap up before having Tom die in Salem; or when the viewer outrage really did lead NBC to tell Days to "fix it" after killing off all the Salemites in 2002-2003 and several months later we got Melaswen).

People remain and will remain unaware of how television works. They think it's live when they're watching it. Sure, there are shows like South Park that produce in 4 days, and we had Dark Shadows which for a short time was a week ahead of air...but those are exceptions, not the rule.

I'll be very interested to see what they say about Victor in the next few weeks and months.

From what I have read, John Aniston (Victor) became unable to participate in any entertainment TV aspect starting around the end of June. He had to forego the Golden Globes, and we have learned the Dec. 26th episode, his last, was filmed around that time. So back then, the writers had to deal with him being unable to appear, and they knew he had been unwell for some time. Hopefully it gave them time to think and write of a way for Victor to not be seen any more. Also have read (this was a guess on part of the poster) that whatever the final thing for Victor to be "gone" will probably be in perhaps Feb.

Back