Truth about the submarine sex storyline

Reaction score
I have been a member of this forum for pretty much over a year and there is some things I have read people talk about and one of those things is the Submarine Sex storyline between John and Hope. People say that Stefano brainwashed them to sleep with each other but that is incorrect.

I have been reading old Days Recaps so here is what really happened. In early 1999 Stefano with the help of Rolf turned Hope back in Princess Gina but not only did she have Princess Gina's memories she also had her own memories as well so she still knew who she was and that she was in a relationship with Bo. Hope tried to hide the fact that she was having Gina's memories but after a while everyone started to grow suspicious of her.

Meanwhile, with her Princess Gina memories, Hope started to have feelings for John Black to the fact that the real Princess Gina and John Black were once lovers. So she tried to talk Stefano into turning John back into his pawn but Stefano refused to do so. Stefano had no clue that Princess Gina and John Black had been lovers so he was confused as to why "Princess Gina" aka Hope would want him to turn John back.

Well after being frustrated with Stefano and after witnessing John marry Marlena, Hope who was staring to act more like Gina and not herself every day came up with a plan to change John Black back into the pawn herself.So while John and Marlena were on their honeymoon in Hawaii, Hope had some guys kidnap John and drag him to a submarine. I don't remember how she did it, but she had John turned back into the Pawn.

When John woke up, he thought it was 1985 due the fact Hope had a calendar up with the year 1985. He also believed that he and Princess Gina were still lovers. Hope and John Black then proceeded to make love. But Stefano somehow managed to find out what Hope had did. Furious Stefano traveled to Hawaii and located the submarine and had John changed back to his regular self and then he had his goons throw John into the cold Pacific Ocean.

After that Stefano told Hope he was going to have someone kill John so Hope seduced Stefano in order to save John Black's life which would result in the biggest storyline of 2000: Who is the real father of Hope's baby.

Ummmm, well, see. Hope had a chip in her head, and Rolf was able to control her "memories" of being Gina via computer. John & Marlena were in Hawaii, on the beach, he went out swimming. Gina was in scuba gear and grabbed him, taking him to her waiting submarine. She did have the 1985 calendar, and John believed he was back then (Father John), they were lovers, etc. They had sex.

Yes, Stefano had learned what she was up to, and managed to board the sub. He had his men thrown John into the ocean. Hope, still in Princess Gina mode, was trying to pacify him, since he was so angry, and offered herself. Stefano said, Oh, what the hell, and they had sex. (same day for both encounters).

Meanwhile, Marlena kept walking the beach, looking out to sea, praying for John's return, when he just came floating in, washed up on the beach.

Eventually, Stefano & Hope/Gina were in France, real Princess Gina imprisoned them, Hope was herself now, and while in the turret with Stefano, realized she was pregnant. (I loved how Stefano, thinking perhaps he might be the father, would sneak portions of his food allotment to Hope, so she & her baby would not be malnourished.) Eventually Bo & other Salemites rescued them.

Guess we should've been lucky she didn't have triplets, with Bo the father of one, John the father of one and Stefano the father of one. That would've made for some interesting stories!

deleted unnecessary quote - no need to quote the post directly above your own post

Really? So did they do a paternity test? If that child turns out to be Stefano's and he wasn't really killed by Chelsea If Stefano has been keeping him the whole time... I will be PO'ED!!!

Zack was given to Lexie and Abe to raise.

Stefano had a pregnant woman named Marlo, who was giving up her baby. That baby (JT) was given to Bo and Hope. It was presumed that John was JT's father.

Eventually they found out about the baby switch. Zack was given back to Hope and Bo and JT went to his biological father, Glenn and his new wife Barb.

At some point, there was a DNA test on Zack and it was a big "who's the daddy?" storyline, either Stefano or John. The writers then revealed that Bo was the father because Hope (as Princess Gina) had sex with a random street mime (who was actually Bo, also under some kind of mind control). Ummmm, yeah..... ok.

deleted unnecessary quote - no need to quote the post directly above your own post

Lol ya, I remember now. They totally dropped the whole Bo being controlled by Stefano. Wow, that's funny I had forgotten about that. Haha lol

The only thing kind of interesting is that JT (named John Thomas after John Black and Tom Horton) was special needs due to being born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I don't really know anything about FAS, but from what I can understand, they portrayed it pretty accurately, which is surprising for Days.

As an interesting aside......Marlo was Rolf's niece. He induced her to have her deliver at the same time as Hope in order for the babies to be born around the same time. Rolf did a "baby switch" in the hospital so that Hope's baby would be given to Lexie. (Since Stefano suspected he was the father, he wanted a DiMera to raise the child, and Lexie/Abe had been trying to conceive to no avail. Thus they decided to adopt.)

Marlo was an alcoholic, who fell down the stairs at the DiMera house, and being not quite dead yet, Rolf broke her neck!!! Then Bart & Rolf put the body in a rowboat, and dumped it in the lake, weighted down of course. And, come Christmas, everyone is ices kating back of Bo & Hope's house, on the frozen lake, and suddenly.........up pops Marlo! Ahhh, remember Bart. LOL

OMG! And I thought some of the recent storylines were off-the-wall, who wrote that stuff? Everyone in Salem has had sex with everyone else, nobody is who they really are, submarines, dungeons, secluded islands, holy cow!

The submarine sex storyline, Princess Gina, kidnapping Hope and Stefano and Bo becoming a mime were written by Sally Sussman Morina. She then left Days and went to The Young and the Restless after a disagreement with Tom Langan who was the executive producer at the time and he took over as head writer and he wrote Stefano and Rolf switching Zack with JT, the death of Princess Gina and all of the stories from Nov 1999-March 2002.

Tom Langan was fired by Corday for refusing to comply with "meeting" requirements. And if I remember correctly, that was when I first began writing summaries for Days.

Although this was such a screwed up storyline, it did show what great actors Days has. Kristian Alfonso (Hope) has said how confusing it became for her at times, because she had to be Hope, Princess Gina, real Princess Gina, real Princess Gina pretending to be Hope, real Princess pretending to be fake Gina, all with different personalities, and at times needing to change from one to the other in a moment. Definitely a very convoluted story.

wow this sure brings back memories. I completely forgot about so much of this. Hopefully I'll forget about much of the current storylines too :)

From what I recall of the storyline, it was a tour de force for Kristian Alfonso (Hope). But I always felt it smacked too much of the Kristen/Susan storyline (Susan pretending to be Kristen, etc) which had occurred just a few years earlier and had been so very good that I could never get into it. The storyline wrapped up while I was starting back to college, and it really had the young ones talking about it, and watching daily. I'll bet none of them stuck around after graduation, though.

AND all these LIKES are for the recaps and analyses, not the storyline itself. I never knew about that Bo/street mime thing, that is soooo ridiculous; I felt the writers chickened out by having Bo be the father. So now, we have to deal with this fake "marriage" BS storyline. :eek:

Zack was given to Lexie and Abe to raise.

Stefano had a pregnant woman named Marlo, who was giving up her baby. That baby (JT) was given to Bo and Hope. It was presumed that John was JT's father.

Eventually they found out about the baby switch. Zack was given back to Hope and Bo and JT went to his biological father, Glenn and his new wife Barb.

At some point, there was a DNA test on Zack and it was a big "who's the daddy?" storyline, either Stefano or John. The writers then revealed that Bo was the father because Hope (as Princess Gina) had sex with a random street mime (who was actually Bo, also under some kind of mind control). Ummmm, yeah..... ok.
Don't forget Crazy Rolf. Marlo was related to him. Marlo didn't want to give up her baby and Rolf threw her down the stairs of the mansion (I say those stairs have al ot of people falling down on them) Marlo fell down the stairs just as Stefano came home to see Marlo dead at the foot of the stairs and ask what had Rolf done....they later dumped her body in the Salem river where it froze over and I believe one her hand was the only thing exposed and she was found. Then Stefano's plans started to fall apart.

Marlo was Rolf's niece and was an alcoholic, which is why JT had fetal alcoholic syndrome. She was DRUNK when she fell down the stairs, Rolf was right there, but she did not die. I can so remember him saying, Oh, aren't you dead? And then he broke her neck, we could hear the crack, and then says, "there, now you are.". He laid her on a table in the hallway, that is where Stefano saw her, told Rolf to get rid of her. So Rolf and Bart went rowing out on the lake with the body in a sack and weighted down, dumping her. Then, near Christmas, everyone was ice skating back of Bo & Hope's house, the body popped up, and her hand was sticking up out of an unfrozen area. I remember Belle screaming.

JS is correct. Zack was given to Abe & Lexie, Hope cared for JT, blaming herself for his condition, because she thought that as Princess Gina, she had probably drank at parties, etc. Glenn was the father of Marlo's baby, came looking for him. Paternity was eventually straightened out, and Glenn, along with his wife, Barb, took JT to raise in Iowa. Hope even went once to visit them.

Just browsing around and came across this years old thread. The Princess Gina story indeed took some things in an unusual direction.....brain and tooth chips, satellites, street mimes, etc. Actually the tooth chip may have been a few months prior, when Stefano had Rolf implant it into Vivian's tooth to control her moods, prove her insane and get the townhouse belongings back that she had inherited from the caretaker Jonsey that she believed had owned everything but was actually working for Stefano.

If I'm remembering correct, Gina, with her own agenda of course, convinced Stefano to turn John back into the pawn under the guise of how great of a duo they were and would make the upcoming mission Stefano had brought Gina back for easier, to steal the last art painting in Paris? Stefano verbally agreed at some point, but would not stop John and Marlena's wedding in the summer of 1999. While on the honeymoon John and Marlena saw someone in the ocean calling for help, John charged into the water after them, only to be tranquilized, an oxygen mask put on him, enclosed in a net and multiple drivers apparently working for Gina swam and pulled John in the net to the submarine.

Gina turned him back into the pawn and everyone knows the rest in terms of the submarine sex. At some point the submarine rises and John goes to the top, there is Stefano pointing a gun at him. Back down below I remember at one point John attacked Stefano and stabbed him, to which the Phoenix acted dead but was only a ruse to turn the tables and Dimera henchman showed up. Stefano told John he was disappointed in him, that he trained him to never believe a minor stab wound would kill the enemy. I don't think his intent was to kill John, but he did turn him back and he later washed back onto the shore where Marlena found him.

Fast forward to Paris, Bo showed up at the townhouse much to the dismay of Gina at first. Stefano was livid at the news, but after some thought decided that Bo could be her partner and his newest pawn. Due to the advanced technology of 1999, all it took was Gina spiking Bo's drink with a serum from Rolf and he was setup with headphones and watched the flashing program on a laptop. Later everyone was outside for Bo's mime test, I remember Stefano blowing a whistle and Bo started to perform for the people around him.

Now I do remember the next episode, Bo was clean and back in his clothes but was now waiting on Stefano, making him a drink etc. And although it was a few years later, at no point did it seem it was possible for Gina/Hope to be with Bo while he was still under Stefano's control because Bo was always with Rolf. But hey, we all know how that goes. Bo was brainwashed again a week or so later to continue the process, but this time Stefano had him attack a mugger and ended up being arrested by the Paris police. Stefano later told Gina to go and get him out of jail, and I believe this instance would have been much more plausible for them to "momentarily" reconnect and make love as Bo and Hope, because they were actually alone for a while.

And although this had nothing to do with the Gina story line, this was also the same time frame when crazy Nurse Ali was wreaking havoc on Mike and Carrie. I remember she would carry around a Barbie like doll, called it Carrie and we would then see her fantasy scenes where Christie Clark (Carrie) was dressed as a life sized doll. Indeed some strange writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back