Update on my son for anyone interested

Puddle Duck

Reaction score
If anyone remembers my thread about him having to see a cardiologist for a heart murmur and an endocrinologist because of his lack of growth, here is what we found out this week.

He has an innocent murmur and it is nothing to worry about. :) I thought that would be the case but am so relieved to have it confirmed.

We saw the endocrinologist yesterday, who reviewed his lab work and his bone scans. They are sending us to Nemours Hospital for a stimulation test on his pituitary gland to rule some things out like Celiacs Disease, but right now they agree with me that he is just a late bloomer. Even though he is 14 his puberty are that of around 12. That means he will continue to develop for around two years after most boys are done.

He is underweight, always has been. We've been trying to fatten him up for a couple of years now. The endocrinologist put him on a strict diet of 6 meals a day to include peanut butter every day, carnation instant breakfast drink twice a day, and lots of butter and whole milk. I think this is just hereditary because me and his dad were always underweight as kids, but the pituitary test will rule out any other causes.

So I am a very relieved Mama right now knowing that I haven't shrugged off a more serious problem because I assumed he was just a late bloomer. :clap:

It is always such a relief to know what you have been thinking is confirmed. And late bloomers abound. I think I mentioned my son, when 14, was the smallest in his freshman high school class, and I can remember he was shorter than me, and I am 5/3". In fact, I have a pic from his graduation, and he seems the same height, tho I had to be wearing at least 2" heels. LOL. He sprouted some more after high school, is 5'8" now.
I am glad you were able to check things out with the right kind of doctors. I would have had to travel a few hundred miles, if I had even thought of doing that...which I didn't. Hubby's family is very short, figured it was the genes at the time.

It never occurred to me to check either Poirot because my entire family is short. The pediatrician is the one who wanted us to have him tested. That is when I started kicking myself. The hospital we have to take him to is about a 2 hour drive, but I'm going to see it through.

Puddle Duck, great to hear the good news. When my daughter was about a year old, our pediatrician wanted to run a bunch of tests on her because she was so small. I brought in my mom, dad and sister......tests were then no longer required. We're all short. When my daughter made it to 5 feet, we were very happy!

Glad everything went alright. My little brother is the same age and also the shortest in his class, but the doctors also said he is just a late bloomer. Was unusual because everyone in my family is either taller than normal (me, my mom, my dad, my other brother) or average (much of my extended family).

Sometimes in families, kids pop up with red hair, or blond, or are left handed......who knows. I am glad all is well with Puddle Duck's son. And I am thinking these additional tests will show a really good result as well. :)

Great news, Puddle Duck:clap:

You did the right thing by checking it out. There are so many reasons why certain medical conditions present themselves, but until it they are diagnosed, they can't be treated.

I know at least two people who didn't grow at the proper rate/didn't develop, and the reason was thyroid disease, totally treatable.

Please keep up posted on your son's progress!

So glad he's doing well :) :clap: My nephew towers over me I feel like a round munchkin He's over 6' I'm 5'3 he's only 16 oy

Soapy,
So happy that your son has a concerned Mom who took him to the DR. and had him checked to see if all was well with him!:clap:
There are so many parents now that don't seem to pay that much attention to their kids and don't really seem to LOOK at them!
Good luck on his next and probably last tests....
Joan

So glad to hear the good news!!! Prayers continue for more good news from the latest tests!

Back