WARNING!!! Please read!! (attempted phone scam)

mae00

Reaction score
Ok everyone. If you receive a call from this number - 864-233-5100 - DO NOT ANSWER!! This number is from Greenville, SC and when I called back earlier today, I got a recording that stated that it was Allstate and that their phone system had been compromised. Do not try to connect to their operators through this phone call. If you need to talk to your agent (who shouldn't be calling from an 864 area code unless you live there anyway), call them directly. Do not go through this number!!!

I just got another phone call and when I answered, it was a foreigner speaking and he said he was from a different company. He asked for someone by a different name and even tho I told him he had the wrong number, he proceeded to ask me if the address he had on file was correct and all I could understand was the zip code - it was Maumelle's zip code (which is 20 minutes from where I'm currently sitting for my friends from out of state). Again, I told him he had the wrong number and he continued to try to ask me questions.

Please be careful as to who you give information out to - especially if you did not call them yourself. I received this call on my cell phone and Allstate does NOT have my cell phone number.

Those who are my friends on facebook will see this warning there too. Please just be careful everyone. Crooked people are getting smarter and smarter on how they are trying to obtain your information - especially when calling people's cell phones.

I don't usually answer them, but with the boys being in a summer program that they've never been in before, the divorce, among other things going on, I've gotten in the habit of answering without paying much attention to the number as I don't get a lot of calls that aren't intended for me.

I'm usually on guard about anyone asking me for my information and by him giving a zip code that is close to my current location, I could see other people being easily fooled by it. What that fool didn't know was that I've never lived at that zip code.....ever......and don't plan on it either.

Thank you, mae00. I don't have caller ID but do screen my calls. If I get a lot of hang-ups, I will do *69 to get the number, or if there is a recorded message with a number, I will research it online, and 9 out of 10 are scams, as noted by others who posted under "Who Called Me?" or similar websites. If the recipient engages in a phone call with these scammers, they are definitely at risk. Senior citizes are perfect victims for these low lifes, so alert any elderly people in your life about this. We must all be vigilant with so many aspects of our lives. Be safe, everyone!

Hey JS, I do the same thing lol. I've gotten a call more than once where a person with a foreign accent and a name like Jack Smith says a criminal case has been filed against me and I will be arrested if I don't send so many $$$. I ask for the case # and the state the case was filed in and say I'll have my attorney contact them at which point they hang up.

Thank you for the warning, mae00. I finally started paying for Caller ID a few years ago. Nope, I never answer a call from a number that I don't know. If I'm home, I'll listen if they leave a message to see if I need to pick up. My one friend's and my cousin's number always come up as "Unknown Name , Unknown Number" because they have a strange local phone company that doesn't play nice with Verizon.

The stupidest calls that are left on my answering machine are ones looking for information about contacting my Dad because he owes money or there is a warrant for his arrest. Yea, right! He died 44 years ago, and never owed anyone money or even had a traffic / parking ticket.

Oh wow RS! That's just crazy!

I know these things happen but usually once the warning has been made, these people move on. That's not the case today since I've had 2 phone calls and another friend says this number calls her repeatedly. They are being very persistent today.:mad:

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP !!
Just got caller ID on our phone. Received several calls from ??? I hang up or let machine catch it--funny thing is that when the answering machine picks up, the auto call hangs up--
I have spent the last several days trying to resolve a credit scam. Seems someone in Miami, Florida used ssn to try and buy something. The credit bureau posted the inquiry to credit report, when I called to ask about it I was treated like the criminal but after going thru knot holes, they asked several questions --was I, Mtn Mom, something other than Caucasian, nope--was my husband about 21 years old--I said if he was the whole bloody world would know it but sadly, nope !! If these characters would spend time doing a real job, none of us would be having such problems.

I once got a call from someone with a foreign accent asking if I had a computer, because there was a problem and wanted access to my computer. He was going to walk me through a process to fix my computer so I hung up immediately. I searched the number which was supposedly from NYC but the first 3 numbers to the phone number was 000 made me suspicious and looked up on google and found out it was indeed a scam.

Thanks for posting this information. I really have to be careful nowadays since people are finding new, inventive ways to cause all sorts of mischief/destruction. My computer was hacked into a couple of years ago by a phoney computer security/antivirus software company (Vista Home). Their logo looked like Microsoft's logo.

just a bit off topic, but also a safety issue. last night (8/7/13) on the news, not sure if it was local or national, but, there was a story about women leaving their purses in their vehicles, in plain sight, while gassing their vehicle and "criminals" driving up and either carefully, quietly opening the door and snatching the purse or just reaching in an open window. I lock my car when I put gas in it, but also, my gas tank is on the passenger side, and since summers are especially "summery" here (think Hell) I don't have the windows down.

Just beware, lock your car, put up your windows, pay attention or you'll really pay! We all work too hard for our money, no need to just let someone help themselves to it when it can be avoided easily enough.

Thank you, mae00. I don't have caller ID but do screen my calls. If I get a lot of hang-ups, I will do *69 to get the number, or if there is a recorded message with a number, I will research it online, and 9 out of 10 are scams, as noted by others who posted under "Who Called Me?" or similar websites. If the recipient engages in a phone call with these scammers, they are definitely at risk. Senior citizes are perfect victims for these low lifes, so alert any elderly people in your life about this. We must all be vigilant with so many aspects of our lives. Be safe, everyone!
You all just did,,, thanks.. I screen calls too.

I make sure the windows are always up and the doors locked, and would like to have someone try to steal my purse.... I cannot walk without the added weight on my shoulder... all I would do is fall over....

I hang up on any call where someone doesn't answer immediately when I say hello. I also research the phone numbers, and definitely the majority are telemarketing scam calls.
A couple years ago, I was renewing my anti-virus program online, it was the 3rd year and had been well satisfied with it. Well, this time, it would not install, or would not update or something, and there was an 800 to call if I was having a problem. I called, and ended up like Wildflower. There was a problem, I granted permission to get into my computer, and was "shown" how there were these problems, and how it was going to cost $500, which I refused. This included a 3 year warranty for anything that might go wrong. I refused, was offered a $400 option, then got transferred to a supervisor, was offered a $200 option, and was getting ticked as all I wanted to do was get this software renewed. Finally I was offered something like $79 and 1 year to clean up the problems, so I finally agreed. Well, my computer had even more problems afterwards, took it in to my tech guy, and oh, man, was he ticked off at these people. He had already run into them before and was just dying to tangle with them again. Meanwhile, I disputed the charge to my credit card company, but they wanted proof that I tried to rectify the problem with the company (I sent copies of several e-mails), a letter from a "comparable" company here in my town stating that there was a problem, and the charge to "clean" my computer......which was impossible.
Long story short, I gave copies of e-mails to my tech guy, and he could not wait to call them, reamed them out for taking advantage, threatened Better Business Bureau, and government, and goodness only knows what else. So, my credit card was refunded all the charges, including the renewal.
But, my computer was truly a mess, I already knew that, after whatever they did, so my hard drive had to be wiped absolutely clean, and my operating system reinstalled, my browsers, mail program, various software programs. Fortunately, my geneology data was able to be save, pictures, and some of my work related data. got a different and better anti-virus program. And learned a huge lesson.
The thing is, I had renewed that other program before with absolutely no problem, but from what I understand, the company was bought by new people....thus.....
But never let anyone have remote access to your computer.

I never give any personal info out over the phone, and I even once got an e-mail from my credit card company warning me of something or other. The thing was, that credit card company NEVER had my e-mail address. So I called, (number is on my card) and sure enough it had not come from them, was a scam, and they asked me to send them the e-mail to their "scam" dept., which I did. I also closed that account, and got a new number & card.

I just tell them to send me their names and addresses, and if I cannot get some sort of identity of them,,, sorry, but due to the fact I am still a Deputy Sheriff, and associated with the Brotherhood,,,, by then it is click, and see ya time....... :):rotfl::rotfl::clap::confused:

thanks for the information, and there will be no way they get anything from me.... This one wants to get me a better rate on my credit card account, bla bla bla, and what she does not know is I do not have a credit card account.... hehehe

LOL, my hubby does the same thing. Says to send him the info by mail. I just hang up, or say not interested and hang up (if I happen to get the rare live person.)

good man, tell him that the nearest way to do away with them, is to tell them you will only do business by Uncle Sam and the Postal Service................... they are gone.... Thanks Barb

I used to interview the complaints when they came in,,, well the ones who bit on the scams,, it is an interesting job.....

Back