WARNING!!! Please read!! (attempted phone scam)

Or the package they have attempted unsuccessfully to deliver, so click on this to give exact instructions/directions, etc. etc. LOL

Haven't got this one yet, but we them from all over the country to lower our interest rate on our credit cards. We have caller ID on the phone and if TV is on, it comes up on it. It shows the state abbreviation, so we know it isn't anyone we know. Also, senior citizen junk.

I once got a call from someone with a foreign accent asking if I had a computer, because there was a problem and wanted access to my computer. He was going to walk me through a process to fix my computer so I hung up immediately. I searched the number which was supposedly from NYC but the first 3 numbers to the phone number was 000 made me suspicious and looked up on google and found out it was indeed a scam.

I have a couple of friends that have gotten this call. One of them messed with the caller so bad and then called him out on his scam that he got so mad he called her back several times yelling "I *beep* you over the phone" (yeah it rhymes with truck. She told him she couldn't feel anything. I'm waiting for the day I get that call so I can tell him I have a message from (my friends name), she says I *beep* you over the phone.

Thank you for sharing this information. Your concern and caring is very much appreciated.

I just got this e-mail a few minutes ago....

f the links are not working, please move message to"Inbox" folder.
Fed Ex

Dear Client,
Your parcel has arrived at August 02. Courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.
To receive your parcel, print this label and go to the nearest office.

Print Mailing Label

Customer Service Team.

Besides the fact it has no name for me on it, which it should have if my "package" was anywhere, the reply to was not even Fed Ex, or anything close. I burst out laughing. This came to my business mail box, and it is hard to believe that anyone would believe it when getting something like this.
And while I was typing this, another one arrives, different person, same exact e-mail, and if not a scam, then probably wanting me to click on whatever and they will give me a virus. LOL
Just a warning to you all. Delete the darn things. Never click on anything.

I've gotten a few emails from UPS. I check my email on server before I download
anything. those get trashed. The other day one came with a virus. My
internet provider caught it and put it in a special place.

Since I can't afford caller ID, I answer my phone. I'm learning after I
say hello a couple of times, it's a telemarketer calling. Some calls
I can hear a lot of people talking, before person does. I hang up
without talking to anyone. I'm on the Do Not Call list. I don't understand
why I and others get calls when we shouldn't be.

I really do not believe the Do Not Call thing works at all. I am on it, and still get the calls. And yes, I have learned to say hello just once...if no one answers, I hang up. If i hear all that background ruckus that kat described, I also hang up. Now I have caller ID, so sometimes I recognize the number as a telemarketer who has called before, but if I don't answer my phone, it rings 5 or 6 times before it goes to voice mail. So I click the talk, and immediately the off button.
I wish I had the reject or BLOCK feature. LOL

By the way, I also google a number if I am suspicious, and have learned of rotten telemarketers that way. Today, one from Oregon, and one from N. Dakota.

By the way, never return a call to an 809 area code. It is in the Carribbean, and you will be charged an arm & leg on your phone bill. Over $24.00 a minute!!!!

Thanks for the info about the 809 area code.

I think you can actually call that one a "wake up" call

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp

info on the 809 area code scam says it's partly true, partly false, and out-dated

all those "warnings" that spread like wild fire on FaceBook, like the recent one about taking pictures with your cell phone and posting them on FaceBook or Instagram will give all your information to hackers or something, I look up on Hoax Busters (they have a FaceBook page) and check into it before just passing it along.

There are other area codes from there besides the 809. What it amounts to is, don't return calls from any one you do not know, or with an unfamiliar number. Heck, most telemarketers, if you have caller ID, and try to call back, they mostly don't answer (so I read on the "who called me" pages. Some folks purposely call back because they want to know who is bothering them. LOL
And yes, I did check snopes on the 809 thing, also AT&T, because of an e-mail. I never believe anything until I check.
Want to laugh, my friends send me things and ask if this is true, could I check. I mean, they could do so themselves, but tis easier to just pass it on to me, I guess. LOL

Sounds like that girl in the commercial, telling this guy "it has to be true, she read it on the internet, and that she has this date with this French model. Oh, he is a French model, said so on the internet. Along comes this big guy, sort of doofus looking perhaps, saying Bon Jour with a terrible French accent.

Poirot, I thought of that commercial too. I laugh every time I see it.
Do you remember what they are selling? Insurance.

rs, interesting that you had block people. Makes you wonder
what things would be like if we didn't email, text so much.
Instead we call on the phone and talk to someone.

Back