Welcome Home.....

SarahBeth

Reaction score
I like technology but I don't go bananas over the newest thing. I don't have an ipod, ipad, great car stereo or a neat cell phone. Just last spring I did get my very first laptop of my own. I did have use of an old hand-me-down dinosaur but it would freeze when I tried watching Netflix so when I got the new laptop and watched it I was bouncing off the walls excited. Yesterday my 20 year old daughter came home for a month long winter break from college. Yes she hasn't even been here 24 hours and she ruined my laptop.
See I had just told my hubby I think I need to go to the doctor because I have a mole on my back that today I noticed has become raised and itchy. He was on the house pc looking it up and I decided to go get my laptop and look it up so we didn't have to squish together looking at the pc.
I put my laptop on the kitchen counter a good 3 feet away from the sink with the dish drainer in between said laptop and sink. At some time today my daughter went in the kitchen to rinse a bowl (I'm frigging amazed at that) and she sprayed the back of the sink to rinse it as well. Along with the back of the sink she sprayed the backsplash and the water flowed all the way around the sink, dish drainer and underneath my laptop and sat there for I don't know how long. She didn't care to look at where she was flooding even though she knew the water was flowing around behind the sink and she didn't care to grab a towel and clean it up. The hardrive is toast and I don't have a Windows 7 disk either. So my one cool piece of technology is ruined. My hubby is a computer dude but it's still gonna cost a couple hundred to fix it or another hundred to replace it.
I can't tell you how many little electronic devices, video game consoles, handhelds and paraphernalia they have gotten to enjoy over the years and I have my first electronic me thing ruined in less than a year. I should be boiling mad but I cried instead. Right now I'm hurt. I think tomorrow when I go to do the dishes the boiling anger will set in when I can't turn on my Netflix.

Does it have a warranty still? I know most don't cover water damage, but just thought it might be worth looking into. I'm sorry.

Sorry to hear about your laptop, Sarah Beth. I don't like anyone messing with mine, but when a guest asks, what can I say? It's not so bad if they use it only to look something up. but I hate it if they change anything. I had someone use the desktop, and they went to a social site ("Centurian," I think) and I ended up with the mother of all viruses. Additionally, the person had no business messing about on that site... I will spare you the details. Do you think it's possible your computer will be OK after a good drying out? I hope so!

Well this morning it booted up, mouse worked and was connected to our network but then minutes later it was back at the black screen of some sort of bad thing. He did something else to it and it ended up with the blue screen of death. My hubby is just figuring out a way to fix it without having to spend a bunch. While we aren't totally and completely broke and can fix it but we are emotionally spent out with Christmas, new flooring, putting up a good chunk getting our son a car and don't feel like having to shell out another $300. All this happened on the same day hubby came home with a new toy he didn't tell me he was getting. Sure he said something last week about wanting it but he never said "I'm gonna go get it". And this is after last month when I told him to go ahead and splurge on himself since we were in a rare position for him to do so and he got a real nice shiny new toy. The last month has been a whirlwind of getting alot of much needed and waited for stuff taken care of and I just need a rest. Then the laptop gets ruined. Well Merry Christmas to me.

being the meanie that I am I would ask my daughter for her laptop if she had one and let her know that I would be borrowing it until she got mine fixed. But that is never going to happen. sorry about your bad day. sit back and have a nice glass of whatever floats your boat :wine: and maybe santa will surprise you

sorry your laptop is broken. at least, you have something to
use to still connect to the internet.

Things happen all the time. Hopefully, you can get it fixed.

It..... Is..... ALIIIIIIIIVE!!! Well it ended up booting up yesterday and I watched some Netflix on it. And yes I did do the happy dance. :birthday:Oh and I went to the doctor and the mole is just a mole and not the type that could turn into anything bad. I still had the doc freeze it.

SaraBeth, last night I was watching TV and grabbed my laptop, and it would NOT boot up. I mean, it has just been sitting in it's case, worked fine a couple days ago, had not been dropped, banged, or anything. Well, Windows does "repair" if it won't boot up, and it was just taking forever. I turned it off, back on, same thing. I was pressing keys trying to find out what was going on. (Over an hour) finally, some sort of diagnostic mumbo jumbo suddenly appeared on the screen as things were being checked, files, and it mentioned deleting a file, then later another file.
The only thing that had occurred were some updates that Windows had done....something or other must have been corrupted. All I could think of was you and your laptop.
When I shut down, there were more updates that were going to be installed, but I got scared and shut it down. Gonna have to check today.....but honestly, all I could think of was you. Did your laptop start up by itself, or did hubby work some magic in there somehow?

He fiddled with it and it did a couple diagnostic fix its of it's own as well. I'm so relieved. I'm glad I kept my cool about it at home and didn't yell at my daughter. She did something stupid. We all do now and then. But I couldn't be more proud of her becoming a totally driven college student who knows what she wants and is working her butt off to get it. She called me right after doing her finals and her barrier (music majors have to pass their barriers in order to move on, if they don't it sets them back a year) to tell me that she aced all of it. Plus now that she's on campus she's become much more appreciative when we do something for her. I've gotten several verbal and texted thank you's and hugs in the last couple months. Although she lives on campus we are only 10 miles away so we are lucky enough to get to go to all of her and my sons concerts. Now after her concerts she puts her stuff away and comes looking for us as well. Her last recital had me in tears it was so good and I wasn't even pms'ing at the time so hormones couldn't be blamed. I think all this was so fresh in my mind that I couldn't bring myself to yell at her. Plus deep down I was hoping that the laptop was going to come back to life as well.

Oh wow I understand my grand son has been told to close any thing that might "pop up" when he is on my computer. So he did and it was a NASTY virus that was downloaded when you close it!! Cost 100.00 to fix it He felt so bad but it wasn't his fault. Viruses are a complete mess!
Sara beth I am so glad you have a hubby that has the knowledge to figure out your laptop that went for a swim. :clap: and another :clap:for your daughter

Sarah Beth: "All things come to (she) who waits?" I'm glad it all worked out for you.

she was lucky she didn't have to wait very long :)

Happy that all worked out for you, SarahBeth, both technology wise and medical. Here I go again, referencing "Sex and the City." Remember the episode, "My Motherboard, Myself"? (I think that's the correct title, and I guess I shouldn't assume you watched the show), and Carrie had a huge laptop crisis, and she never backed anything up. Aidan tried to help, but she refused to listen to him at first, huge fight, then she finally relented after attending Miranda's mother's funeral and realizing what is important in life. Aidan bought her a new laptop (pink) with a back-up system (zip drive). Sometimes computers fix themselves, sometimes they don't. It is very frustrating to be without one's machine, you feel like you are cut off from the world. We depend on them so much, it is frightening. :eek:

Back