Where can I find Days online?

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
About two or three years ago, I realized between the bill, the DVR fees, the taxes, and the other fees, I was paying about $1500 a year to have cable TV. I also realized simultaneously that I didn't really watch all that much TV at the time, so I'm one of those guys you hear about who "cut the cable".

Now, all I have is Internet service, between my Mac, my iPad, and my AppleTV, everything I watch either comes off the net, off of iPad apps, or from places like Hulu and Netflix...

Most recently, I was shamed by Poirot for not watching Days any more, and she's right. For the first 10 years I watched Days, it didn't really change. Same characters, same drama.

I tried watching yesterday's episode off of Youtube and frankly, I was completely and totally lost. The infants I remember have been SORAS'd into main characters that I've never seen before, and the main characters I was used to are pretty much bit part players.

That being said, I need to get back into watching Days, so here's my question. Where can I watch / download / stream Days in an acceptable quality to actually watch on my HDTV? 99% of the Youtube videos uploaded SAY they're HD, but they're 240 quality, which is about like trying to watch an old VHS tape on an HD television. In short, unwatchable.

I'm hoping you guys can offer me better ideas than Youtube?

Wayne

Have you gone to the NBC Days site? They do videos there...Seem to be a lot clearer, etc. No idea if commercials are included.
I know there are those here have no TV reception where they live, but watch the next day. The NBC site does say something about watching same day, or same time.

I don't have any TV service, either. I find the Days videos on YouTube horrible, too. I usually watch the next day after the show airs on Hulu, sometimes on the NBC web site and both have CC (important for me). I think the "live" app for NBC is for people who also have cable and can enter their paid subscription information.

Hulu is full of commercials and not great quality, plus, it's "Web only" meaning that to watch it, I'd have to be sitting in front of my computer for an hour a day, plus, I'd have to remember to go to hulu, log in, and play it every day. It also doesn't allow me to broadcast to the TV.

I guess I'll keep looking/hoping to find a suitable source, but thanks for the input...

Wayne

So, I watched yesterday's episode via Hulu on the computer. What a pain in the neck.

In all of yesterday's episode, I recognized exactly four people from the last episode I had seen all those years ago. Victor, Rafe, Daniel, and Melanie. Three of them were just starting out in like their first six months...

The rest of the show really seems like a "DiGrassi High soap opera remix"...

Barb, I noticed that there are different people who post on YouTube. The ONLY reason why I like Hulu is because the closed captioning is more accurate. I don't like YouTube mainly because of the sound quality-I'm hearing impaired so its hard. When I watch Days, I usually watch it on broadcast TV and only watch on-line if I accidentally delete it or if there is a preemption.

Oh, I agree the CC is terrible on You Tube. But the big advantage is no commercials. If you are watching on computer, sitting thru the commercials is hugely annoying. LOL
I used the CC a lot when EJ was on, as he tended to mumble (in my opinion) or an actor says lines way too fast, dropping the ends of words, etc.

So, I watched yesterday's episode via Hulu on the computer. What a pain in the neck.

In all of yesterday's episode, I recognized exactly four people from the last episode I had seen all those years ago. Victor, Rafe, Daniel, and Melanie. Three of them were just starting out in like their first six months...

The rest of the show really seems like a "DiGrassi High soap opera remix"...

Hey! Degrassi is WAY WAY better than that teen garbage on Days! Well, at least it used to be. Degrassi hasn't been as good the past few seasons, but still better than Paige/Eve & JJ, or Abby/Ben/Jordan/Rafe/Kate/Clyde/Chad and Will & Sonny. And yes, I added older people to the mix because they're involved in the younger set's storylines.

Anyways, I'll echo the statements everyone made above. Back when I first started watching, I wasn't able to watch on the TV most of the time, so I tuned in either on Hulu, Xfinity Online, or the NBC site. But even though the ads weren't as long as they were on the TV, they were still annoying, so I started watching on YouTube. Of course, they sometimes have ads as well, but not as many.

I thought that YouTube could be broadcast to the tv with the proper device? I recently stayed at a hotel that had brand new hi-def tvs and we were able to watch YouTube as if it were a movie theater.

I thought that YouTube could be broadcast to the tv with the proper device? I recently stayed at a hotel that had brand new hi-def tvs and we were able to watch YouTube as if it were a movie theater.
Hi Heather.

With the proper device, like an AppleTV, Roku, or Google Fire stick (the little USB stick thingy) you CAN broadcast from your computer to the TV. Usually without issue. It's how I watch 99% of what I watch. The issue with Hulu is that you're forced to use their viewer which can't redirect to the TV, and the problem with YouTube is that most of the videos uploaded -- even those that claim to be HD -- are in 240 mode. In other words, when you redirect it to a big TV, it's worse than watching an old VHS tape.

For someone "spoiled" like me who's used to no commercials and HD quality without paying the cable company, and for someone like me with vision problems, watching a VHS quality tape just isn't a viable option.. Not to sound all Veruca Salt and everything, but "I want it all, and I want it now!" :)

Wayne

As everyone else said, I usually do Hulu or NBC (I personally can tolerate the Hulu ads better than the NBC ads for some reason, and sometimes - if I'm lucky - Hulu will play right through with NO ads!), and you tube as a last resort. The only things I can add to the conversation: If you just watch Hulu, you don't have to log in. Minor detail, but if that saves you a step, it isn't necessary just to watch Days. We have a wireless blue ray player that comes loaded with Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu Plus, Vudu, etc, so I think you can get Hulu on your TV - you just have to have a subscription for that luxury. I may be wrong about that, but I looked into that several years ago, and that's what I remember - at least at that point in time. I know that's more equipment that you might not want or need and more money that you probably don't want to spend... but if you already have a player and don't mind the subscription, it might be worth looking in to.

Wayne,

Have you tried the NBC Airplay app for iOS? It's supposed to be improved where you can watch shows (Days is listed as one) after it airs on cable & for free. No need to sign in to Hulu or a cable subscription. Then you can stream it & it is in real HD. I use Chromecast but know people with AppleTV who use this after they cut their cable & got tired of the log ins needed from the old NBC app.

Hope this helps. I know what you mean about streaming YouTube vids that say HD but are horrible on a HDTV. :)

I don't see an app in the store called "NBC Airplay" but I am trying the NBC native iPad app now. Looks like it might work. I just wish I could figure out how to automatically record it to the hard drive so I didn't have to physically remember to go into the app every day. I know. I know. Whine, Whine, Whine. :)

Wayne

If you google NBC Airplay, you will find lots of places and info about NBC Airplay. I used to have to order everything for my Macs from supply stores, mags, etc. because stores just did not have anything for Macs. After 3 Macs and no tech person in town to help (had to travel 175 miles to a Mac tech)....switched over to Windows.
Anyway, I found a lot via the Google route that might interest you. ???

P.S. there is still no Mac help in this area.

Back