Where were you/What were you doing when you heard...09/11

Jammers

Reaction score
I remember hearing that the first plane hit while I was on the way to work and people trying to figure out what happened, then a few moments later hearing that a second plane hit and thinking...oh no, this is not good. I even remember what intersection I was sitting at and what radio station I was listening to. I got to work and my mother in law called me and said that she thought another plane had hit the Pentagon. I quickly turned on the TV (luckily we had one in the office at that time..do not now) and watched the smoke billowing from the Pentagon. I just sat there stunned that this was happening. Then I heard about Flight 93 going down. Of course we later learned that it was the passengers/heroes on that flight that said no more and saved many lives by sacrificing a few.

Let us never forget the feeling we had, never forget the heroes of that day, and the families affected.

What are your memories of that day?

Sadness, shock, disbelief, and just surreal. Add worry, frantic calls made to family, extended family and friends. I was working a graveyard shift and had just got home when it happened.

I did not have TV out on my farm -- and rarely listened to the radio. A friend called to tell me about the first two hits and that the whereabouts of another plane was unknown at that time. My reaction was "my God! someone has declared war on us!"

I was working in an office with several Air Force wives. The phones all seemed to start ringing at once. For those that lived on the base, the message was to go get the kids out of school and get home -- NOW!!!! And then an explanation of what was going on. We had a big conference room with a large screen that came down from the ceiling and a TV that would play on it. We all went in there to watch the news and just stood there in disbelief, knowing that we couldn't do anything, and wondering what was going to happen next. The boss came in and told everyone to get back to work -- very cold-heartedly. The Air Force wives all went home, and the rest of us sat quietly at our cubicles in tears and prayers. I believe this is one of the reasons my youngest son is now in San Diego, training on an FA-18 Hornet, as a 1st Lieutenant with the Marines.

I got to work a little late, and couldn't find anyone. My co-workers were in the break room gathered around the TV. The second plane had hit a bit before I arrived. Everyone was watching in shock, and both men and women were in tears. I was 7 months pregnant and on the verge of tears constantly anyway, and I joined right in. The boss sent us home a couple of hours after that.

I was scared (rightly) that it wasn't over, and continued to fear more attacks for the rest of the day. I could not stop thinking about all of the innocent people that were murdered and families destroyed, and wondering who could do something like that, and how they could ever justify doing such a thing.

It was my 2nd day at an internship at a TV News station in Phoenix. It was my Senior year at ASU. I remember it was about 6:30 in the morning and I looked up and saw a plane hit the 2nd twin tower (the other already had hit) and I remember people scrambling everywhere. I called my fiance at the time (husband now) and my family to tell them what was happening. It was just so strange. I remember being told to watch a TV for updates from the NY stations and I remember seeing a reporter talking about all the people that were still in the buildings. And then all a sudden a plume of smoke comes down on the reporter and then nothing. All I saw was dust on the screen. I have to say that is a day I will never forget and it really held an impact on how I viewed working in news from that day on.

It was a beautiful, sunny Tuesday, just like it is today. I was at work at a hotel when they announced the first plane hitting on the radio. I said something to my boss, whose response for some unknown reason was, Oh they must be joking. I said I don't think they'd joke about something like that, so we went out to the bar and turned the TV on. I didn't realize it until later, but we saw the second plane hit live. I thought we were watching a replay of the first plane hitting. We stayed in front of the TV all day. I remember how chaotic the news was; no one knew what was going on, there were rumors of car bombs in Washington DC, there were other planes unaccounted for, etc. I was (and am still) working in Harrisburg, PA, and at one point we were worried that they might make TMI a target. That night, all air traffic in the country was grounded, so I made my whole family go outside and look at the night sky. I said that's probably the only time in our whole lives that you won't see the lights from a plane anywhere in the sky.

I was at work with my mini tv on to watch a PBS special for work. The Akron, Ohio station broke in with a news bulletin. I yelled for everyone, and we put on the tv in the conference room. We saw the second plane hit, and everyone was in shock. When the towers came down, our director sent everyone home to be with their families.
My "little sister" is a volunteer firefighter, and her husband is the chief in a neighboring small town. They took one of their trucks to NYC to help cover a firestation there while the NYC firefighters worked at Ground Zero.

That night, all air traffic in the country was grounded, so I made my whole family go outside and look at the night sky. I said that's probably the only time in our whole lives that you won't see the lights from a plane anywhere in the sky.

I remember the lack of planes in the air. It was odd NOT seeing and hearing them.

When the world stopped turning.... i was at school... In fact, when the first plane hit, at that exact moment, my senior class was all together in the gym having our senior picture taken.... and we all cried...and our entire PUBLIC school had all classrooms join hands and we all prayed together. and our principal said that on that day, prayer was most certainly allowed in his school.

my hubby (already graduated) was at his apartment with his best friends. one of his best friends has an uncle that works inside the world trade center...and his friend immediately got sick to his stomach... and hubby tried to care for his friend (the way guys do...left him alone sort of but kept calling his family in NY for him trying to find someone)....

long story short...it was almost 4 weeks before he heard from his uncle, who survived it. He is ok!... but our hearts are especially heavy for all those who lost on this day.... 11 years ago... hard to believe it was over a decade ago, it still feels like it was just yesterday. Innocent men, women, and children were lost ..all on account of hate.

:( k I'm getting all emotional.... so back to work I go.

Support our troops helping keep the violence OFF our shores.

I was sitting right here at my computer, when my husband yelled that a plane has hit the World Trade Center. I dashed into the living room, as Matt Lauer, was rather calmly showing the news footage again, and then the black smoke rising from the building. (I remembered, as did the news people, when a small plane hit the Empire State Bldg. several years before) And as we watched, the second plane came round and hit the 2nd tower. Jaws were dropping in disbelief, and immediately one knew this was not an accident, but a deliberate attack.
I still remember how calm Matt Lauer was, (and I think it was Katie Couric with him at the time), while I know the bedlam that had to be going on to get updates, other camera people into the area, etc.
Was just glued to the TV, and then came the reports of the Pentagon being hit, and a missing plane....that was eventually reported to have crashed in a field in PA. The bravery of those passengers on that plane was still to be told. But I do remember the order for all planes to land.
My friend and fellow Early Edition writer, Linda, was sitting on a plane in CA, waiting to take off for a family reunion back east. Her plane sat on the tarmac for 2 hours, and finally taxied back to the gate, where the passengers were told to go into the waiting room area.
They were never told the problem, thought there was engine trouble on their plane, but once in the waiting area, the TV there told them the tale. They had a hard time reaching her husband to return to the airport to pick her up (she was with a cousin). And you can imagine how security there had been clamped down.

I was not working at the time, and I had just woke up. After my divorce I was staying with my family. Mom always called Grandma in the mornings to make sure she was okay. Well, Grandma asked mom if she was watching the news. By the time I got to the breakfast room, the tv was on, mom and dad were watching the tv in disbelief. Of course only one plane had hit. And questions were being asked, how did the pilot get so turned around. A few moments pass, and we saw a plane...oh my God, it's going to do it too! When it hit, we knew it was a blatant attack on our country. We headed to Waco to go shopping (why mom and dad just had to have a tv stand that day, I don't know..) The quietness, the lack of traffic and shoppers was odd. Very weird. This was about the time I was going to thru my depression/craziness but I still remember the day vividly. And my dad said before ANYONE else...I bet it was Osama Bin Laden.
I was a bit engulfed over the next week or so. I would watch ANYTHING that had to do with 9/11. Maybe to make it more real? Maybe cause I was a little...no...a LOT looney? All I can say... is now that I have a clear head and heart...This day still makes me cry. We lost so many innocent lives 9/11/2001. And what is sad, we continue to lose more. Soldiers who were just CHILDREN when this attack happened have seen fit to risk their own life so we may be safe. And FREE. God bless them!

And God bless each and everyone of my Spectator friends/family! I LOVE YOU!!!! May we NEVER ever forget. :cry:

I was in building one of the WTC when the first plane hit and standing outside building 2 when the second plane hit. I worked on the 32nd floor of Building one. I thank God everyday that I came home. I lost many friends and co-workers that day.

The first thing I thought of driving into work this morning was how the sky today looks exactly as it did 11 years ago.

Wow, blueEyz, that is amazing. HUGS and much love to you...I have no way of knowing what you went through. I'm just at a loss for words. Just so glad you are here!!

And, it has been a nice clear day here in Central Texas. Someone made note of that at school, how it's just like it was 11 years ago...in New York City. :(

BlueEyz369 wins for best story of the day... God bless you BlueEyz!! How sorry I am that you lost your friends that day... and my heart breaks that you endure that loss every day while most of us are only reminded of it once a year. My prayers are with you! And I thank God that you made it out safely! He was certainly with you that day.

I was at my twin girls first day of pre-school. We live about 30 min. from NYC. At first I thought it must have been a small plane. But my husband called from work in new rochelle he was on the roof watching the smoke. I took the girls home got my son from his school and cried as I watched the towers fall. This photo is my son and I on the towers.
601492_3476712242551_411238258_n.jpg

Amazing picture, Elizabeth. Thanks for sharing. So unbelievable still. And it feels like yesterday. Not eleven years. :(

I was watching the Waltons on TV. My neighbor and his wife came over to ask me if I knew what happened. Her husband (an ex Marine) said " We are being attacked! I said no it couldn't be, it was just an awfull accident. I changed to the news channel and then we heard that a second plane hit the other tower! Iremember the rest of the day, going to work and no one doing much except For watching TV or listening to news on the radio.
The shock and sorrow of that day will be forever with all of us. and we pray for those families that lost friends and loved ones.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET GOD BLESS AMERICA

Back