"White Christmas"

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The movie will be on Friday. evening at 7 p.m. and again at 9 p.m. on American Movie Classics (AMC) channel.

This is on Dec. 13, 2013, and the movie is the one with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera-Ellen. Definitely a Christmas Classic!

I had been wondering when and where this would be showing. Too bad I didn't see this thread until just now. Oh well, I've seen it plenty of times and wouldn't have watched from start to finish anyway. There are parts I would try to catch.

Anyone know if The Little Shop Around the Corner (may not be the exact name) with James Stewart has already aired? These two are the only ones I usually watch, at least in part.

Definitely one of my favorites! I, too, was wondering when it would be on. I saw this thread in time to catch most of it. My granddaughter was visiting and is a dancer. She got caught up in all those dance performances. [I think Vera Ellen must have a 16" waist!!]

Thank you lovin, I discovered that last night, that it would be on again tonight. Actually, I turned it on just as the 4 were getting off the train up in Vermont, with no snow. LOL

But then, when it ended, it started again, so I saw a bit of the beginning.

The most touching part to me, was the look on Colonel Waverly's face when he came into that room, and all those men from his platoon, in uniform, jumped up, and snapped to attention.
I really miss Danny Kaye as a performer, he was so versatile.

I don't know that I have ever seen the whole movie, every year I get bits and pieces! I tuned in last night at the same point you did! LOL What I find interesting is the clothes the men wear their pants under their armpits compared to now days around their knees! LOL I prefer around their armpits!

I caught the end of the movie last night on AMC. And Cowgirl: Little Shop aired around Thanksgiving time too. Great classics!!

I can't remember where, but I was reading about White Christmas a few days ago and was so surprised to learn that Vera-Ellen didn't do any of her own singing! Also, Danny Kaye was the 2nd or 3rd choice for his role. I'm glad it ended up being him though. Golly, I've already forgotten who the first choice was.

So you got me super curious, and I went researching, OC. Originally, Fred Astaire was to be coupled with Crosby for their 3rd Irving Berlin (who wrote all the songs in the movie) musical, but after reading the script, Astaire opted out. Then Crosby left when his wife, Dixie, died, but he returned a bit later. So Donald O'Connor was signed to do the movie, but at nearly the last minute, had to drop out because of illness, so Danny Kaye got signed in.

And you are right, Trish Stevens did the singing for Vera-Ellen....except...in the song "Sisters" where Rosie Clooney actually did both parts!!!

I have the DVD and have it saved in my favorites on Netflix. I watched it at work after Thanksgiving using Netflix. One of my favorite holiday movies, next to In the Good Ole Summertime and Meet Me in St. Louis.

Rosemary Clooney was so beautiful and just came off elegant on screen and in pictures. I had no idea she was George Clooney's aunt.

untitled.png

Yep, Poirot, now that you said all those facts, I remember it was exactly what I read. I got the impression that it was felt Vera-Ellen was such a superb dancer, that made up for her not doing the singing. And again, I'm glad Danny Kaye ended up with the part. Fred Astaire was an incredibly talented performer but I've never been much of a fan. I liked Donald O'Connor all right too but I don't think either one of them would have fit with looks and personality the way Danny Kaye did.

Cryin4days, your description of Rosemary Clooney said it well: she was beautiful and elegant, perfect for her role in the movie.

Back