• No

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
Will Eve get the money her contract with Jack supposedly entitles her to?

(The poll is only to see how close we come to making the right guess; it's not about whether or not we want her to get the money.)

KathyLu, this is one battle that Eve definitely needs to lose.
Maybe so, but the poll is about whether or not she will get it. :)

I haven't voted yet, either, because I think Aiden (or another lawyer) will find a loophole and Eve won't get a dime. That way, Paige won't be going to an out-of-state university and will have to stay in Salem with JJ.

Heck, I do not think Eve deserves a dime. But I think she will come out of this smelling like a rose. Want to bet someone (Victor, EJ, Stefano, Maggie, ???? a fund raiser, ???will step in to fill the gap? Eve will get her money, one way or another.

I suspect she will not get it in time to send Paige to Stanford. I expect Aiden will try to settle it with the other lawyer and Eve will find herself entitled to a one time payment of 1 cent, or something like that. He's already shown himself to be a bit on the devious side.

Oh tptb won't let their princess Jenn Jenn lose what she sees as a battle. While I would like the legal agreement to be completely legit tptb will find a way to screw Eve and polish Jenn's crown.

I agree. I want her to win, but I doubt she will. I'm sure Aiden will rush in with a deus ex machina contract voiding situation at the end of this insipid storyline.

I don 't think she will get the money. As someone said, that way it will keep Paige in town for JJ since they can't afford Stanford otherwise.
As to whether she is entitled, I waffle on that. I think, if the contract is valid, she IS entitled but since Jack wanted the money to go to his foundation for veterans she should probably settle for enough to send her daughter to school and let the rest go. But she won't because she is Eve after all, and we have to see her as a complete selfish villain willing to steal money from those who have served. But it just seems like a peculiarly worded paragraph to put in a settlement, especially way back then. Why would either of them think Jack might be writing books sometime in the future?

In the other thread, I voted that Eve should definitely take the money if she's entitled to it. In this thread, I voted no, she won't get it. Because, like others have said, that would mean Jennifer would have to lose a battle, as pointless as it is, and God forbid that would ever happen. :rolleyes:

I voted no, in the perhaps very foolish assumption that litigation between Eve and Jack's estate would play out in a way that reflects real life. Salem has always had its own peculiar legal system, but if the the writers stick close to reality, Eve's chances would be slim or none. What would matter are the legalities (i.e. is the contract enforceable?), not whether Eve needs the money, how much she would get, or whether the veterans deserve it more.
1) The contract relates to a sham marriage that was in essence a fraud on the Corelli estate. A court could simply refuse to enforce it on these grounds.
2) Because both Eve and Jack regarded their marriage as a sham designed to get Eve the Corelli fortune, what legitimate reason could Eve have for demanding a cut of Jack's future royalties to agree to an annulment? Thus, as Aiden noted, the contract could be regarded as extortion and therefore unenforceable.
3) How is the contract worded? If it simply states that Jack promises to pay Eve a cut of the royalties, it's unenforceable. Only contracts where both parties provide what is called "consideration" are enforceable. And if the contract doesn't specifically include posthumously-published works, a court could rule that it doesn't apply to the Afghanistan book.
Then there are the practicalities.
1) With Victor on the side of Jack's estate, it would have the best legal firepower Kiriakis money could buy.
2) Eve would be thoroughly cross-examined about the circumstances leading to the contract, convincing any jury that she's an unlikable, dishonest, lying gold digger.
3) To gain the jury's sympathy, Victor's legal team would pack the spectator area with veterans in uniform.

Back