Will Eve get the money?

Will Eve get the money?

• Yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1) The contract relates to a sham marriage that was in essence a fraud on the Corelli estate. A court could simply refuse to enforce it on these grounds.
2) Because both Eve and Jack regarded their marriage as a sham designed to get Eve the Corelli fortune, what legitimate reason could Eve have for demanding a cut of Jack's future royalties to agree to an annulment? Thus, as Aiden noted, the contract could be regarded as extortion and therefore unenforceable.
3) How is the contract worded? If it simply states that Jack promises to pay Eve a cut of the royalties, it's unenforceable. Only contracts where both parties provide what is called "consideration" are enforceable. And if the contract doesn't specifically include posthumously-published works, a court could rule that it doesn't apply to the Afghanistan book.
1) Who would enforce the bequest of the Corelli estate? Victor? Only to spite Eve, I doubt they'd take this angle. Nick's will might have said she had to marry "for love," but clauses like that in wills are already hard to enforce - and this one was 20+ years ago.
2) She made it possible for him to get the Spectator back and continue his brilliant career as a writer, which might have led to future writing/publishing contracts. This is the least implausible thing Days has presented in awhile in my opinion, from a logic standpoint; however, given the history of Days, it is shamefully re-written to support DA PLOT.
3) I too hate how vague they are being. I hope the split is specified and Eve gets her share. If the contract is not valid or enforceable, I hope it is found out quickly before too much forced JJ/Paige and Eve/Jen BS-drama.

I voted yes, do I think she deserves the money no..... but this is going to cause stress for the sleeveless one... and keep her on air so of course Eve will get the money and no amount of shaming from the community or peers will make any difference to her....I believe this is just da plot and a darn stupid one at this point....

I'm voting yes because I think this storyline will cause lots of angst for Jen. However I think a slightly more interesting poll would be just who is going to be the first man that Eve will get her claws into? She has already flirted with JJ, Daniel and Brady...Run Run Run ....Rafe, Eric, Roman, EJ, John, Aiden,Ben, Rory, T, Dr Chyka, Percy etc etc

1) Who would enforce the bequest of the Corelli estate? Victor? Only to spite Eve, I doubt they'd take this angle. Nick's will might have said she had to marry "for love," but clauses like that in wills are already hard to enforce - and this one was 20+ years ago.
2) She made it possible for him to get the Spectator back and continue his brilliant career as a writer, which might have led to future writing/publishing contracts. This is the least implausible thing Days has presented in awhile in my opinion, from a logic standpoint; however, given the history of Days, it is shamefully re-written to support DA PLOT.
It's highly doubtful that the writers (who can't get medical procedures right) would take a legal angle that's even vaguely realistic. That said:
1) There's no need for anyone for the Corelli estate to be involved. Nick Corelli's will is a public record. After examining it, a court would probably determine that the clause about Eve marrying meant a "real" marriage, not a sham, meaning the Jack-Eve "marriage" was intended to defraud the Corelli estate. (The executor of the Corelli estate dropped the ball back in 1991 when he apparently failed to realize that Eve had entered into a sham marriage.)
2) The Jack-Eve "contract" presumably was that Jack agreed to marry her and in return she gave him some Corelli money to save his newspaper. The agreement about granting Eve a slice of the book royalties is totally extraneous to this "contract" and smacks of an effort to extort something of value from a man now desperate to escape a sham marriage.
Good posts! Judge Judy says, "You have to come to court with cleans hands." That might be the loophole where Eve loses the money.
The "clean hands" rule is not a loophole, but a basic principle of contract law. Because she used a sham marriage to get the Corelli fortune, Eve's hands are as dirty as can be.

Back