Your favorite dessert recipes

Jammers

Reaction score
I have started making a desert for Saturday at our house. We try to eat healthy all week (I say TRY, lol) and then on Saturday, we get to eat "bad". I make a very easy Blackberry cobbler that hubby and one of my daughters love, this past weekend I make Pecan Pie muffins (easy too) that they both liked (other daughter is not much of a dessert/sweet eater). Anyway, I am tired of always making Blackberry cobbler and am looking for some new ideas. I am a decent baker, but not a fancy baker....make sense??

Would love to hear what your favorite dessert recipes are and am eager to try something new.

Pennsylvania Dutch Pumpkin Cake

Ingredients
Prep: 40 minutes | Cook: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • 1 1/2 cups
    whole-wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups
    unbleached white flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons
    baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons
    baking soda
  • 1/2 cup
    no-trans-fat or low-trans-fat margarine
  • 1 1/4 cups
    granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup
    sugar substitute, replace with 1/2 cup granulated sugar, if desired
  • 1/4 cup
    maple syrup, or reduced-calorie pancake syrup
  • 1/4 cup
    fat-free or light cream cheese
  • 1 large
    egg
  • 1/2 cup
    egg substitute
  • 1 15-ounce can
    pumpkin, about 1 3/4 cups
  • 2 teaspoons
    vanilla extract
icon_instructions.png
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a Bundt or angel-food cake pan with canola cooking spray.
  2. Combine the first five ingredients in an 8-cup measure or medium bowl; stir to blend well.
  3. In mixing bowl, beat margarine, sugar, sugar-substitute, maple syrup, and cream cheese together. Add egg and egg substitute 1/4 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
  4. Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until combined. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed just until combined. Transfer batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, if desired.
  5. Bake until fork inserted into the center comes out fairly clean (about 60 minutes). Cool cake in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and cool completely.

Paula Deens Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding - so freaking delicious and easy!! Always a big hit and everyone in my family loves it. The only change I make is I use cooked pudding - it just taste better than instant in my opinion.

A new twist on an old favorite. This banana pudding is delicious and pretty too!
Servings: 12 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients

1 12-ounce container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whip
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 cup milk
1 5-ounce box instant French vanilla pudding
6-8 bananas, sliced
2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
Directions

Line the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/not_yo_mamas_banana_pudding/

OK, I love apple recipes, these are two of my current favorites:
Apple Oatmeal Crisp

Servings: 8
"Apples are baked with a crunchy oat crust on the top and bottom."
Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I use almonds)

3 cups apples (preferably Granny Smith) - peeled, cored and
chopped
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons of dried cranberries (optional)
If not using Granny Smiths or another tart apple, add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour and butter. Mix until crumbly. Place half of crumb mixture in pan. Mix apples with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, spread over crumb mixture,top with remaining crumb mixture and chopped nuts.
3. Cover with foil paper and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake until golden brown.

Wonderful served warmed with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Apple Fritters
From Cook's Country
Ingredients FRITTERS
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup apple cider
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 cups peanut or vegetable oil

GLAZE
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup apple cider
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Instructions
  • 1. Spread prepared apples in single layer on paper towel–lined baking sheet and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels. Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large bowl. Whisk cider, eggs, and melted butter in medium bowl until combined. Stir apples into flour mixture. Stir in cider mixture until incorporated.
  • 2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Following step 1, use 1/3-cup measure to transfer 5 heaping portions of batter to oil. Press batter lightly with back of spoon to flatten. Fry, adjusting burner as necessary to maintain oil temperature between 325 and 350 degrees, until deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer fritters to wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet. Bring oil back to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining batter. Let fritters cool 5 minutes.
  • 3. Meanwhile, whisk confectioners’ sugar, cider, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl until smooth. Top each fritter with 1 heaping tablespoon glaze. Let glaze set 10 minutes. Serve.

Just wanted to add that both of the above recipes work fine using sugar substitutes like Splenda and the Light Land of Lakes butter/olive oil alternative.

Back