YOUR town....special Holiday stuff

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are from all over, & wherever we live, there are different traditions, come the holidays. Christmas & Hanukkah fall during the same time period, so......what does your town or family usually do during this time period.

When we bought our first home in Illinois suburb, it was just before Christmas, a neighbor across the street went to all the homes, inviting us all to a "welcome to the neighborhood" gathering at another neighbor's home. (new suburb, new homes, their's built first, moved in Sept.) It was Dec. 21, & that home was celebrating Hanukkah.

When my kids were little, decorating was done by me & the kids, a fun thing. We had Santa come a couple times on Christmas Eve, opened gifts on Christmas Day. Everyone decorated their homes, a few had items in the yards, but the town itself really did not do a "tree" back then, tho they do today. Here, up north, small town, & they do it up well. Banners across the Main St., Big tree lighted, all the shops & stores covered in white lights. Will be interesting this year, with the pandemic to see how things change. My kids, all over the U.S. now, so.....we just have a small, fake, but green tree.

How about you? What was/is going on where you live?

I take the local lights map of whatever city I'm in and drive and look at the lights neighbors put up. It started when the kids were 3 and 1 we'd do it Christmas Eve as warm car.... long drive they'd zonk out after a bit.... It was two years ago that the oldest figured out it was to put them to sleep :rotfl:

Still do it, however no longer on Christmas Eve and no longer with my kids. This year I'll be driving through a mile and a half of lights. In normal years I'd rather go to a hotel for their special Christmas but what with social distancing.... I'll do the car thing.

Phoenix Botanical Gardens offer Las Noches de las Luminarias it is beautiful little sacks of lights lining the gardens. We generally purchase dinner and enjoy walking the park listening to music.

Last edited:
Back