6-4-2017 - Donuts & Prayers

Yikes, Noel, how creepy! I don't think I've ever known anybody until today, who has been bitten by non-venomous snakes. I know a lot of people who have been bitten by rattlesnakes and copperheads.

OC: really? Garden snakes, and corn snakes, etc, are all over Indiana. I picked them up as a child all the time. The dairy cows run in fear when they see these harmless snakes.

Someone bit by a copperhead is in a world of hurt. I would go straight to ER!

:):) KT

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel, I'm not terrified of snakes. I never kill one that isn't venomous. But I would be very stressed if one bit me! We do have some of the corn snakes, garden snakes, whatever, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know one from another without looking it up. Yes, people who get bitten by copperheads and rattlesnakes do go to the ER. Some people have bad reactions to the rattlesnake anti-venom. One of my neighbor ladies almost died from it some years back.

Kt, since I know you made it through your snake encounter safely, I have to admit the thought of you picking up that creature by the tail made me laugh. You should have gone into roadrunner mode and started slamming the snake's head on the ground over and over, like popping a whip.

Kat, I had a yellow snake at my back door a few years ago. I think it might have been a corn snake but I don't know for sure. It was pretty though.

OC, there are so many species of non-venomous snakes around here, I just focus on knowing the dangerous ones, lol. I also go by the size of the head to the neck, skinny or fat tail tip, and if I were to get close enough, round or slits for pupils. The coral snake is the only venomous one here with a small head. Then, I just go with "red on yellow, kill a fellow", lol.

kt, I'm glad you're ok. Corn snakes are yellow right?

I've never see a solid yellow snake here. This one had quite beautiful markings. I wish I'd taken a picture, but I wasn't thinking along those lines at the time, lol. I literally had my hands full! The one I saw looked like this and about the same size:

Young_corn_snake_Nevis.jpg

It was doing this:

Corn-Snake-Teeth.jpg

LOL

I look for the bulging cheeks and at the tails but still, I wouldn't trust myself to be sure because I might get the one in your picture confused with a copperhead. Oh, and the yellow snake I saw was not solid yellow but its background was yellow and brighter than any I'd ever seen.

Back