Site status and a quick poll, 4/28/20

I will learn the new format. I am just old and slow!!
I am so missing the old look. I am getting older too and change sucks some times!
It takes too long for me to maneuver through things to find what I want. I end up giving up a lot of times.

Wayne, I think that's where Poirot wants the "Today in Salem" topic now.

Because I have OCD, I have two more suggestions.

Since we're not using the previews section can it be put on the bottom of the home page?

Also, can the Donut section be the first one under the Java section?

I am so missing the old look. I am getting older too and change sucks some times!
It takes too long for me to maneuver through things to find what I want. I end up giving up a lot of times.
Trust me, I understand. Change is hard. I wouldn't have gone through this if we didn't have to, and I'm hesitant to make the same mistakes I did when setting the site up as it was. We relied on a third-party theme and other add-ons which caused us problems in keeping the software up-to-date. I'm still tinkering, still trying, but this is where we are. Sorry.

Wayne, I think that's where Poirot wants the "Today in Salem" topic now.

Because I have OCD, I have two more suggestions.

Since we're not using the previews section can it be put on the bottom of the home page?

Also, can the Donut section be the first one under the Java section?

Partially done, but I leave the Previews thing up to Poirot. If it really hasn't been updated in 5 years, then yes. It should probably go away.

Wayne, you are a genius, and have the patience of a saint & the knowhow of Sheldon Cooper, (but definitely a much nicer/better personality)
So, In re;;;;;;;;me and the Previews.....Once upon a time, I was able, via a big sattelite dish, to get Days as it was fed to a Canadian station at 3 a.m. A day ahead of when U.S. stations got it. That was such a great time, On Fri. morning, I not only had already seen the Friday cliffhanger, but the Monday followup as well. Alas, eventually, the Days' suits decided Canada should be same day, & eventually the bonanza came to an end. Canada no longer aired any sort of Day Ahead, my receiver died, and now I moved away, living in the town now.
So, yes, the Preview is no longer valid, perhaps could just be attached some way to "Days in the Past?"

Hi Poirot,

To that end, the "Days Ahead" forum has been renamed to something like "Archived threads from the Days Ahead forum" or somesuch. Since we don't want to delete the information (BOY WOULD I CATCH HECK WHEN PEOPLE's POST COUNTS CHANGED!!!!), I simply placed it as "hidden" so it doesn't really show up anywhere except if you search.

Since "Previews" (the category) no longer held any forums at all, I simply deleted it.

Hi Poirot,

To that end, the "Days Ahead" forum has been renamed to something like "Archived threads from the Days Ahead forum" or somesuch. Since we don't want to delete the information (BOY WOULD I CATCH HECK WHEN PEOPLE's POST COUNTS CHANGED!!!!), I simply placed it as "hidden" so it doesn't really show up anywhere except if you search.

Since "Previews" (the category) no longer held any forums at all, I simply deleted it.
And so how does one do that? I had just e-mailed Jason47 about "saving" those summaries as they might vanish......and I am guessing he could not get here fast enough. So let me know what I have to "search" for to bring it up?

And so how does one do that? I had just e-mailed Jason47 about "saving" those summaries as they might vanish......and I am guessing he could not get here fast enough. So let me know what I have to "search" for to bring it up?
To unhide it, just go to the Admin Control Panel, click forums then nodes, then the forum itself. There is an option to "hide" (I forget the verbiage) but if you unclick that and hit save, it should reappear.

Oh, my gosh. how did you do this? Fabulous! Yep, you ARE genius! Wayne this is fantastic!
I went to google, looked up "wayback machine", then searched for the site and found a snapshot from last year. That let me save the images like the logo and the backgrounds. I then uploaded the images here, and tried to match the colors to what they once were by loading a picture of that screenshot in a program called ColorSchemer Pro on the mac. That gave me the basic colors to work with.

There's still some work to do to get a few things sorted out, but this may be the closest we get.

As I recall, when we got the old site up and running and went to that other look and feel (aka theme), we had the same growing pains.

Wayne, thanks for all your hard work getting us back together.

Thanks for all your hard work Wayne, I love that we have more than just like options for posts now. I do miss the home page where we could see all the active threads, without having to go into each forum, but mostly I'm just happy that the page was able to be saved. :love:

A billion thank yous - the layout is much easier on the eyes (although I didn't mind that mid point mentioned above, this is fantastic). I don't mind the colour difference on the notifications either.

To that billion add a trillion thank yous.
Ditto that! All you said JasonDi!
1,000% better on the eyes! Wayne, thank you, thank you, thank you!
It's looking like home again. I'm changing my vote.

I hadn't been having any problem until this afternoon. Now I can't get the Forums to come up. When I click on it, I get column after column of one or two letters, like the beginning of the name of the different forums. The only way I can find a particular forum is to go to "new posts." Or "what's new." It's been that way all afternoon.

Last edited:
There was only one small problem that I had and that was the absence of the little blue dot next to threads with new posts.
With the newest change you have made, it is much easier to tell the threads in bold face, and that's good enough for me. Thanks so much!

Back