02/20/16 - Donuts & Volunteering

Y

YPG

Good morning. High of 67° today.

Volunteering for my youngest daughter at the Youth Athletic Batting Center, for four hours, for school. Then only twelve more hours to go.

I find it slightly frustrating that we were not made aware that students would have required volunteering for a final grade each semester when choosing this early college high school. Because it is a small school with limited admission, the county has made it so they will provide transposition to students from all over the county but they expect students to do these volunteer hours on their own and because she is only 14, I usually have to stay as a guardian.

Plus students can only volunteer at places from this list, nothing else will count, so kind of inconvenient when barely anything is open on the weekends since she does not get home from school till almost five o'clock.

Like I would rather volunteer at the VA, which desperately needs it. But we will get through it no problem. Just nice to express a little annoyance. Motivated, motivated!

I hope the sun shines on you all!

Good morning all...I have heard of the volunteering requirement in many places, but not so limited. Is there a certain number of hours required?
Not sure what is going on here. Skies seemed all grey, still talking rain possibility (and it did rain like mad in town, but barely a misty drizzle here yesterday). But I can see some blue areas, and pinky streaks, as if the sun is trying hard to chase away the dark clouds. Of course that can last for 5 minutes and back to dark grey. LOL
Will finish up laundry, and try to declutter the desk area, which has become ridiculous. LOL

16 hours per semester and if you do not complete the hours, you fail the class.

Yes I do not know why the VA is not allowed.
Other schools allow it and allow the church when the church is feeding the homeless and doing stuff for food or clothes drives.

It's going to be a nice day except with clouds. I plan to get outside again
this afternoon. Rain cancelled for Sunday. Maybe rain Tues.

I think it should be a requirement at all high schools all students volunteer.
This will teach them compassion for others. Maybe the world would be
a better place if people cared for others and not just themselves.

YPG, I hope your daughter plans to do volunteer work after she's out
of high school.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

It isn't mandatory at the local high school, but students do it on their own. They have even form themselves into groups, have done the toys for tots, packed boxes for military in Iraq, Afganistan; have done the red kettle stations during December, Habitat for Humanity...it amazes me the different things they decide to do. And yes, they do fund raisers for some causes as well.

Well, no sun, it is 39, and because of melting snow, causing ice, treacherous footing in places out there. That ski race that is going on, radio is constantly interviewing people, just hope there are no falls/injuries......but am thinking there probably will be. However, with the ski poles, maybe the cross country skiers will be able to stay upright.
finished laundry, am procrastinating about the decluttering here. LOL

My daughters do volunteer work anyway with the church, community and we have supported many VA functions. This rigid school volunteering stops us from supporting places/organizations that we want to.

One volunteering opportunity we were directed to last semester had me supervising my daughter cleaning a warehouse store for eight hours. I had to ask for her breaks, including lunch, which was deducted from her time, which is wrong, in my opinion. Using students as maintenance personnel irks me. Then she was volunteering with an animal adoption agency but they got shut down by the county.

So today we will do whatever with this place and come back in a couple of weeks after her Science Olympiad competition. Then in April, she will be volunteering with the Special Olympics, which I am sure will be fulfilling but today I imagine will just be more maintenance as my daughter is not a baseball coach.

cleaning a warehouse doesn't sound like volunteering to me.

When I was growing up, I was a candy striper. Maybe mandatory
volunteering isn't what is needed. But there are too many kids
doing bad things. It would great if kids could do good things instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone,

It's overcast but 61F today---lovely weather! I have some homework to do so I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy it much. I do want to go to the gym later. Maybe at least I'll get to enjoy it while walking there. Thursday is my trainer's birthday, so everyone in my boot camp class signed a card and pitched in some money to get him a gift card.

Kat, one of my high schools (I went to 3, because of my moving around) had mandatory volunteering. You had to do a certain number of hours before graduation. Quite a few seem to be picking up on this trend. At my work, there are some high school volunteers that come in once a week or so. I think it's good because it prepares you for the workforce and teaches kids compassion. I volunteered at an old folks' home. It was a great experience.

Have a nice day all.

Good morning. The girls and I are going to be cleaning house and working on cleaning up the backyard/around the barns to get ready for Annabelle's birthday party next weekend. Our pregnant pig had her piglets without any fanfare Friday morning. I didn't even know she had them because I had gone grocery shopping. She had 10 of them this time. Ava's snack day at school and Annabelle's birthday are on the same day, so I'll be bringing food to two classes Tuesday. Annabelle has a field trip on Wednesday as well, so it's going to be a busy week next week.

I didn't really volunteer much in high school and it wasn't required. I only needed one credit to graduate during my senior year, so I end up having time to be library aide at the high school and at the elementary school....I still can't believe the school allowed me to drive myself back and forth to the elementary school for that. However in college, the scholarship I had was based on leadership qualities and focused a lot on community and civic service, so we were required to have 30 hours of volunteer service completed each semester. For our freshman year, they required 15 of those to be done on-campus, mostly through student organizations, to encourage us to become involved on-campus. I helped string lights for that city's annual Christmas light display, was a bell ringer for the Salvation Army at Christmastime, and helped build a new playground that my girls have played at many times and I can point out to them which sections I helped with, so that's kind of neat.

Good morning. Okay, so the headache, cough, chills, fever, body aches apparently are symptoms of the flu. My doctor said she wouldn't see me unless I get more than just miserable. So I slept on and off yesterday while drinking orange juice and water all day. Today is more of the same so I won't be visiting my dad. He doesn't need this. No, I did not get a flu shot this year.

I'm going to go back to the comfort of my chair with blanket and dog. Sleep calls.

lst & 2nd place winners this a.m. coming up Main St. 55 Kilometer race, hills valleys, woods, over a slushy lake, and finally up Main St.
12742539_1015082805232706_8701972932287450349_n.jpg

They built a temp wood bridge across the 4 lane state highway, which sends them down to Main St. (In past years the state highway was detoured). This is a shot from the top, as they head down towards the end of their journey. (Trust me, traffic is so horrendus, with all the cars, visitors, entrants, always feel for the businesses affected. But.....tis a big thing...

56c895670893c.image.png

Happy Weekend everyone. Hope your day has started well. Yesterday we had heavy rain storms and I had to go pick up my new glasses and do it with the wipers going full blast. But trying to avoid all the fools out there that can't see any better than I can, and driving 60-65 on these rural 2 lane roads with deep ditches on the sides of all lanes that are really easy to slide into! They all drive like they're still on the freeway!!!! There!!!! Thank you for letting me vent!

Today is sunny off and on and still on the cool side but we have blue skies and big puffy white clouds! Really beautiful. The crocus and other bulbs are just starting to come up but it's still cold and wet so we have a little time yet for an early spring.

OC, I hope that your migraines are better now. By the way, we've been dealing with mice all winter and a couple of rats too. The mice come in to get away from the rain, and go into the garage , attic and under the house. They have also gotten into the car and built nests under the hood! Also set a trap outside for rats.

We have Orkin, a pest control company, and they set all the traps. The attic had caught 4 mice and a little bat, poor little bat, and outside trap caught two huge well fed rats. The were living next to the fireplace an under the bird feeders so got a lot of seed dropping. Also feeding on cat food left at night. Now I pick up the dish just before dark, that's been working well. Also have a couple raccoons that were looking for food. Also beat up my poor old cat. He's fine now and all healed up. I'll be glad when spring comes!

Hugs to you all, Joan

Today was more cleaning. I do not mind volunteering for a good cause but just having my daughter clean for four hours while I monitor her, though she is quite capable, teaches her nothing.

I think it is unfair to the student and the parent. Let us at least do something worthwhile or do not expect so many hours of volunteering at once to just be stuck cleaning.

Last night I started running a high fever, chills, muscle aches & a killer headache.

ROBIN, I did have the flu shot but it doesn't protect against all strains. My doc doesn't believe in antiviral either. Somehow I managed to clean house & finish half the laundry before fainting. Now I'm dozing in my chair & trying to think. I am failing right now. God bless all.

Noel, Robin......A friend of mine had bronchitis for over 3 wks., preventing her from visitng her husband in hospital with Major surgery. She now is in hospital herself...swine flu! So there are other strains.....and the flu shot doesn't always stop you from getting THAT flu, just supposedly a milder form.
Please, just rest, tea, toast maybe, juice, and DON'T do anything.

Back