04/10/2018 - Donuts and blueberry yogurt

Hello everyone. As you may know, I love reading on Wikipedia and ended up reading about the Liberty Bell today. It was commissioned by Philadelphia from the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London, 1752. It's a long story, but I found this hilarious. Gotta love that British humor! :rotfl:

During the Bicentennial, members of the Procrastinator's Club of America jokingly picketed the Whitechapel Bell Foundry with signs "We got a lemon" and "What about the warranty?" The foundry told the protesters that it would be glad to replace the bell—so long as it was returned in the original packaging. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Bell

Oh my God, Muzz, that was a hilarious story. You can see yourself getting into this situation, too!

Noel - one year we took our daughter and a friend to Las Vegas in August for vacation. We were at the water park and it was 119 degrees. When we went back to our room, both girls wanted to do the egg on the asphalt, and sure enough, it cooked the egg. I'm so glad things are starting to calm down for you. Now we just need to do the rain dance for you!

Manda - so sorry about your father-in law. It's so hard when our parents start fading.

OC - it's so nice when the winds die down and the sun appears. Enjoy your day.

My day is getting away from me. I hope your day is a great one.

My sister-in-law went down to see my father-in-law today. She said it's worse than what we were told. He's in a coma and unresponsive. The nurses are 90% sure that he won't make it to the weekend. She also said that there's no way Gena should go down to see him and that my hubby needs to get there as soon as possible for a visit.

Shan - I'll have to try the egg thing in July when it's actually summer here for a couple weeks.

KT - that's a funny story. Thanks for the history lesson. :)

Robin - your trip to the parking lot sounds like a nightmare.

Manda: that is sad news about your father-in-law and I hope your husband can get time off to visit him now. Absolutely Gena should not be exposed to this situation at her age. You are in my heartfelt prayers.

As with most things, Terminal 4 and that parking lot, I at least understand. And yes, it was fun turning east and having the sun streaming through between the two floors. Eek. But I got to work on time and Mr. Gus was able to get Hunny Bunny home without incident.

Manda, prayers for your family to get through the next couple of days.

We have a club member who took the temps of his trees on one 102 degree day (kinda a normal day heat wise) a couple of summers ago. The temperatures for the roots was a toasty 185!!! Heat kills the trees by cooking them. We keep a humidity tray under some of ours, which is challenging to keep it wet enough for humidity, but not wet enough for mosquitoes.

I swear I could bake cookies in my car during the summer if I park it out in an uncovered parking lot, since the car came with any interior color I wanted as long as it was black.

KT - I'm sure the Smithsonian has the original packaging given some of the stuff they have stored away. The receipt, maybe not. :rotfl: Funny story. Thanks for sharing.

It's snowing!.......'nuff said.

Mandy, I really feel for you as it is going to be rather traumatic for your family the next couple weeks. Will Gena maybe be able to be with her aunt (your sis?) for a couple days? Hope your husband is able to take the time off work, being it is a new job.

Am still laughing over Muzza's story. Robin, your travelin' around the airport reminded me of one time when I landed in St. Louis, visiting my sis. She & her hubby were there to meet me, take me to their home. He had the row and parking place number written down, and yet, could not find the car. Walked around and round in the parking garage, back down to baggage area, back up, down the aisles & back up again. Finally reallized, we were on the wrong floor. It was one floor down. He was sooooooo frustrated, annoyed, especially, because it delayed us leaving, and of course, being it was me, got out to find it snowing..it was night. Please understand, they considered even ONE snowflake a reason to stay home, not go out. LOL And I am serious! Needless to say, next day, guess who did not go to work? LOL

Lots of Wisconsin folks winter in AZ, but definitely do NOT summer there. And tho, ordinarily, some would already have returned, once they check the weather conditions, I think they decide that sun & 90° is better than 15° and tons of snow. In April!

KT, loved the story about the bell!

And this is how many folks feelllllllll

30652980_2065875400299645_1524050612201717760_n.png

Last edited:
A sunny day here. It got to the 60s today. A good morning at the school library.
After lunch, I mowed the two small sections of my yard.

manda, sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I hope your hubby will be able to get
there and be with him.

Muzzaman, thanks for the funny letter. The hotel is beautiful. Have you stayed
there before?

Noel, I hope you had a good day in the heat.

OC, I hope you got to the nursing home today.

Poirot, sorry to hear you got more white stuff.

DaysLady, wishing your grandmother a happy birthday.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Capture.JPG

And so it begins.

At work tomorrow, I'll get ice cream and we will have a triples party. It's something we've done since we moved the office to Arizona. I'll get vanilla ice cream, chocolate, strawberry and caramel syrups, chopped peanuts , sprinkles, cherries, and of course, whipped cream.

Manda, hang in there girl. You'll all pull through and he'll be at peace soon. Thinking of you all.

KT, that is funny. I love reading about things like that from history. Also, old bylaws that are still in existence but never used. For example, I've heard that in Calgary, while this never would happen, when you are released from jail you are to be given a horse and I want to say gun but am not 100% positive.

I've never stayed at the Empress but have walked through it. I can imagine high tea would be expensive. At The Prince of Wales in Waterton Lakes National Park they also have a high tea that is pricey and took my grandmother there once for that as she was British and did enjoy that. She lived close to Victoria and I recall her telling us about how grand the high tea was at The Empress.

You truly can paint a picture in your mind by the way the man recounts the incident. Lol.

Thank you for the update on some of the members. Had been thinking of them. Please pass along that I said hi.

Thinking of many of you.

Mandy, I really feel for you as it is going to be rather traumatic for your family the next couple weeks. Will Gena maybe be able to be with her aunt (your sis?) for a couple days? Hope your husband is able to take the time off work, being it is a new job.
My sisters all live too far away for her to spend much time with them. 1 is in Virginia, 1 is in Chicago, and the 3rd is about an hour and a half away in Western/Central Wisconsin. And I'd say she could hang out with my brother and mom, who are 10 minutes from me, but they both work weekends and weird hours (my mom works retail and my brother works in customer service for a TV company and bartends).

Usually when she spends the day with an aunt, it's my husband's sister, which won't really work out this time. I hope he'll be able to get off also. I don't think the people at the company he's working at will mind, but the lady at the temp agency has a fit when he leaves an hour early for doctor's appointments. :sad:

Back