04/11/2018 - Donuts and Coffee

M

Muzzaman

Good morning, friends.

Ugh, I need to stop reading about this bus crash in Humbolt, Saskatchewan. There was a big mix up in identifying two of the boys one that died and one that lived. They had them mixed up and I read the account of how the one mother held the hand and comforted who she thought was her son and even when finding out it wasn’t her son, she stayed with him until his parents got there. How heart wrenching.

It has however shown the kindness and support of not only Canadians but by the world. The GoFundMe Campaign has raised $7 Million in 3 days. Unbelievable!! We have since learned that the company that owns the semi truck is based out of Calgary and has a clean driving record, however, the company is only a few months old and the driver who is allegedly responsible had only been employed for a few months. Authorities has suspended their transportation right now.

Well this is the first week that my husband and I work opposite shifts. Last week was when he actually started but I was on holidays and home. We have not worked opposite since we first started dating 15 years ago. We're back at the beginning. HA ha. It is odd arriving home and he isn't there and it's boring. So, went to the gym on Monday night, last night I cleaned and tonight I think I 'll go to a drop in class at my gym. I haven't taken advantage of the climbing wall yet and see that there is a drop in class for this so may try it out. I had the opportunity to do this when we did the amazing race a few weeks back and really liked it.

Thinking of many of you today and hope you have the support you need to help you get through.

I'm going to have to check that book out sometime. Thanks, JS. How horrible and traumatic for everyone.

I meant to say in an earlier post, I know they do but when big traumatic events happen, I have the utmost respect for the first responders, trained or otherwise. First responders didn't even have to be called when hearing about the accident. They all just swung into action but being a small community many of the first responders knew the victims, which would have made the job so much harder. The after effects of the whole things would be difficult.

Ok, Murray, back to work. You've got a webex to attend in 40 minutes and need to prepare. LOL! Check on y'all later.

I remember when that happened with the two girls, and was about to comment, but, JS beat me to that. Am glad the two boys in Canada were identified correctly so soon. With the girls here in the States, it was weeks, - couple months I think.

It's a beautiful morning here. It's supposed to be in the 70s today. Goldie is at the
dog beauty parlor. I wanted to start mowing before lunch, but she won't be done
until after 10. I'll take several breaks in the afternoon. I'm washing a sheet
and will hang it outside. I'll do Bible study until Goldie gets home.

Muzzaman, I know about boring. Sunday afternoon is the worse day for me.
Now you know why I don't watch the news. It would break my heart to
read the stories about the bus accident. I get the paper and read things there.

I hope everyone has the best day they possibly can
:)

Morning Everyone,

Muzz - the whole accident is tragic. The heartache and grief for the victims and their families, as well as the truck driver and first responders, has to be just overwhelming. I'd rather like my husband working the opposite shift. I would welcome the quiet. Then again, I like peaceful calm and he's constantly in motion and talking. It's exhausting for me just to watch him pace around the house.

JS - I'll have to read that book also. Sounds interesting and heartbreaking.

Kat - enjoy your Bible study and lawn mowing.

No news here. My father-in-law is the same as yesterday. Gena spent most of the night crying with the heartache of the pending loss of another grandparent. Hubby called and talked to his boys. I spent the night alternating between holding and comforting Gena and giving her space, based on what she felt she needed at the time.

As Dory from Finding Nemo always says, "Just Keep Swimming"

Have a wonderful day.

Hi everyone.

Just back from my morning school. Thank goodness the kids were well behaved because I'm very tired and feel a migraine coming on. I never got back to the office last night until almost 9:30 pm. By the time I got the equipment charging for today, I didn't get home until going on 10:00. My assistant lives 45 minutes away, and I had her text me when she finally got home around 10:45. Then we both had to be back at work by 7:00 am this morning.

I was tired when I got home last night that all I had for my very late dinner was a cup of decaf tea and mango yogurt.

Amanda - I'm so sorry for what your father-in-law and family are going through. Prayers continue for all of you.

Muzza- The crash is heart wrenching. I'm glad the hockey world, teams and fans, have stepped up. The Phantoms, our local USHL Tier 1 Junior Hockey, are also collecting for the families.

A late good morning to everyone.

A busy Wednesday, just like everyone else who isn't abundantly wealthy. Time to plan a cold dinner due to our heat forecast today, and church.

At 6pm we have a funeral to attend of a dear sweet lady who suffered with lung cancer for much too long. The family, of course, is both relieved and in painful grief. All my years in medicine and with so much research we still have not come close to curing so many diseases that it makes my heart heavy at times.

Muzza: staying active after work while missing your mate is a good strategy. When I am scheduled on other shifts it is very hard on my Hubs. You see co-workers more than your loved one and you really have to work at staying close on weekends. You have a good attitude - kudos! And, even in America, we are grieving for the families of those stricken in that bus accident.

JS: thank you for sharing about that book which once was on my reading list. I just ordered it for my Kindle to be certain I do read it this summer. It is what my grandmother would say is that "fine silver lining to any deep tragedy". Hope your hump day is bouncing right along fine.

Poirot: you have a good Wednesday too. Hope your paperwork pile is smaller, there is a warmer breeze, and you are enjoying your morning.

Squirrel: hope you feel stronger today, sans migraine and have time for sustaining meals. May your work day be light and easy.

Kat: don't you just love how our dogs react after being pampered and they know grooming makes them prettier? They kinda strut, and it is so cute. Glad you have 70F temps today to enjoy being outdoors. And, Kat, even married people can feel very lonely when their spouse works another shift, travels, or there is an unresolved issue in their relationship.

Manda: it is good to know your husband spoke with his sons last night. You are such a sensitive and attentive mother that you are making it as painless as possible for Gena even though it is so hard to watch our children grieve our loved ones passing. Do you have plans to visit him this weekend yet? Thinking of you all.

Robin: well I know you are loving this 'warm' 100F weather today. As for me, if I had a pool, my motto would be 'this day will pass'. Hope your little trees are thriving and your work day is light and easy.

Time to return to work.

Last edited:
Morning all.

Not much to report. So much to do and not a single desire to do any of the work related things.

Muzz - I hope the Webex went well.

My youngest son met his wife when they both worked the night shift at FedEx. She then changed from being a loader/unloader and moved into HR. She has changed companies and has returned to daylight work hours. He remains on the night shift. When I go to visit, I always try to have plans on the weekend that don't involve them as it's their only time together. It it working for them, so far. He has 2 more years before he can "retire" with 20 years. It comes with a pension.

Oh Manda - I hope you know that you have friends out here who are sending thoughts/prayers to you as your family goes through this.

Noel - I enjoy the 90's and maybe the 101-102 in the beginning. But towards July, I'm over it. I hate living in a cave with recycled a/c air. But it is where I live now and where I will thrive, in spite of the heat. Sadly the pool isn't yet warm enough to do much besides evaporate.

Happy Wednesday.

Noel - assuming he lives until the weekend, we plan to try to go down for a visit on Saturday. I'm not sure where I'll have Gena go though. Hoping my one friend will be free for a couple hours to hang out with her.

RS - so glad you made it home safe last night. What a long day for you.

Robin - my one friend and her husband have opposite shifts like that and always have. They've been married 8 years and a been together for 20 years total. So yes, it most definitely can work. :)

Muzz - I know the hockey world here in Spokane has taken the bus accident very hard. Everyone is putting hockey sticks on their front porch also. So, so sad. My husband and I have never worked the opposite shifts but I would be lonely if we did.

JS - I have read the book and saw the TV special (not as good as the book). Sad, but yet awesome!

Kat - I loved when our dog would come home from the parlor. We called it a new 'do and she would strut around the living room and then ran outside and rub in the grass.

RS - boy, you had a long day yesterday and back at it early this morning. Good luck with your migraine.

Noel - I wish you had a pool to come home to. Maybe that would help?? Good luck with your cold dinner. I love that in the summer time.

Have a great day.

Good evening. I ran out of time this morning and didn't have a chance to post. A warm but very windy day here.

Squirrel, I hope your migraine didn't fully develop. What are the odds??

I'm with Kat about reading/watching news of tragedies. I see the headlines and move on. Hearing details is haunting to me and leaves me depressed. I won't even watch sad fiction.

About working different shifts, I've never been in that situation but I lean with Manda on this one. It wouldn't have bothered me to have some time to myself over the past 40 years!

Manda, I hope a place is available for Gena, if things work out for you to go see your father-in-law this weekend. My children's grandparents lived until after the kids were grown so I didn't have to go through comforting a young child, but I can imagine how hard it must be. God bless!

Hoping a peaceful, restful night for all of you.

RS, you're working too hard. Rest that head of your on a pillow, pull the blinds and rest. If I were there I'd do a few tricks that I learned in massage therapy that target pressure points to relieve head pain. Feel better soon.

Manada, I misspelled your name to that yesterday, liked and am keeping it. :) I do hope you're all able to get by his bedside to say goodbye. For me, being by my grandparents bedside when they passed away was so helpful for healing.

Robin, I sent the organizer an email after an hour and said I had another meeting in office to attend and thanked him.

OC, katmouse, don't get me wrong, I do like those nights where I get to watch all my shows that he doesn't watch. I was on my way to the gym but full disclosure, I turned left instead of going straight and our local pub was there. I exercised my right arm with a bicep curl of a pint of beer in my hand to my mouth. I did about 20 reps of those. LOL!

RS, I read that the Pittsburgh Penguins have put a in support of the Broncos stickers on their helmets in addition to the players donating and the team.

Shan, it is movements of support like the one being carried out everywhere of people putting their hockey sticks out that makes the world smaller and realize what the important things are.

Have a good rest of the night and tell someone you love them tonight.

Back