1-14-19 Donuts and Brrr!!!!

The following post by The Greatest Generation came across my Facebook page.I guess I shouldn't complain about it being too cold when the temp hovers around zero here in the middle of February.

12th of January 1888 Blizzard brings tragedy to Northwest Plains.

The so-called “Schoolchildren’s Blizzard” kills 235 people, across the Northwest Plains region of the United States. Many of whom were children on their way home from school. The storm came with no warning, and some accounts say that the temperature fell nearly 100 degrees in just 24 hours, from the +60s F to -40s F.

It was a Thursday afternoon and there had been unseasonably warm weather the previous day from Montana east to the Dakotas and south to Texas. Suddenly, within a matter of hours, Arctic air from Canada rapidly pushed south. Temperatures plunged to 40 below zero in much of North Dakota. Along with the cool air, the storm brought high winds and heavy snows. The combination created blinding conditions.

Most victims of the blizzard were children making their way home from school in rural areas and adults working on large farms. Both had difficulty reaching their destinations in the awful conditions. In some places, though, caution prevailed.

Schoolteacher Seymour Dopp in Pawnee City, Nebraska, kept his 17 students at school when the storm began at 2 p.m. They stayed overnight, burning stockpiled wood to keep warm. The next day, parents made their way over five-foot snow drifts to rescue their children. In Great Plains, South Dakota, two men rescued the children in a schoolhouse by tying a rope from the school to the nearest shelter to lead them to safety. Minnie Freeman, a teacher in Nebraska, successfully led her children to shelter after the storm tore the roof off of her one-room schoolhouse.

In other cases, though, people were less lucky. Teacher Loie Royce tried to lead three children to the safety of her home, less than 90 yards from their school in Plainfield, Nebraska. They became lost, and all three children died of hypothermia. Royce lost her feet to frostbite searching for the children.

In total, an estimated 235 people across the plains died on January 12. The storm is still considered one of the worst blizzards in the history of the area.

Oh Squirrel, what a horrible story! I know winters used to be a lot more severe here. I remember some myself but I've heard stories of my g-grandparents' generation losing large numbers of cattle and sheep to winter storms. I've never known that to happen in my lifetime, though I've been out feeding the cattle in ice storms before. I think part of the survival for them now is that we have better methods of getting feed to them. Also we now get warnings ahead of time about storms so we can better prepare.

That is a scary tale to read, just as it began to snow here, unexpectedly! However, it is 33, down from 34, but we are headed towards single digits after this 2 day warm up. I was shocked when it was 31 at 6:30. But as you can tell, temp has not varied much at all. It is that dang wind that makes it all feel colder.

my oldest is out walking the line in the LAUSD teacher's strike. I hope the district and the union can get together sooner rather than later.

it was a terrible Monday at work.... it's a big week we have a big evening for all new parents this Thursday of course we are supposed to give out correct information for folks.... but we can't get anyone to give us a straight answer... A says this, B says this then A comes in and says C has changed her mind so this is now the answer...... so by 9 am today I reached a "kill me" stage.... and went down hill from there.....

now going to have dinner and enjoy silly television....

So sorry, Robin. I hope some light-hearted diversion and some rest will make you feel better.

My niece didn't get back from town in time to feed cows. I went ahead and fed cubes to my cows and only finished shortly before sundown. We'll need to feed hers and put out hay for hers and mine tomorrow.

robin, sorry for the rough day. I hope you find some silly stuff on TV.

OC, good luck getting the cows fed tomorrow. Yucky weather is suppose
to coming here this weekend... cold too.

Back