1-22-2019 - Donuts & Tuesday

However, my friend, a hoodie when it is 60? No excuse unless the wind is blowing. LOLOLOL
I too would have laughed at myself now (hoodie and all) when I was near D.C. and it was below zero about this time of year.

Amazing thing though... When I got here in late August, it was sweltering and the humidity... oy vey... The only thing that really made it breathable was the wind coming across from the Gulf. By January, I've had time to acclimate and I guess my blood has thinned to where 55 degrees with the constant ocean breeze makes it darned nippy to someone who spent the last 4 months baking in the heat.

Couple that with the fact that the AC never shuts off anywhere and.... wah lah... Bonafide Excuse! :)

Funny story...

Since Lisa and I were leaving Virginia and "there's no winter in Florida", I gave away ALL of my jackets save for one Target brand Letterman jacket. Three or so months later, I had to go back to DC for meetings (30 degrees in DC). After that, we then spent the week of Christmas with her family in Indiana where it was much, much colder.

Needless to say, giving away all my coats was a bad and expensive mistake.. Hahaha.

How nice to live in Florida! I love to visit there and have been in June when the humidity is at it's best but it doesn't really last that long. What I loved the most is the down pours of rain - I had never seen it rain like that in my life. It was like buckets literally coming down.
Yep. As I seem to recall, it pretty much rained every single day the entire month of September. We'd get up, it'd be nice. By noon we'd be frying proverbial eggs on the sidewalk, then by 3, about 2 hours of torrential downpour which drove the humidity through the roof. Stop. Rinse, Repeat the next day. Weirdest weather phenomenon I've ever experienced

Since Lisa and I were leaving Virginia and "there's no winter in Florida", I gave away ALL of my jackets save for one Target brand Letterman jacket.

Also a funny story is the fact that almost no one down here sells Jackets and coats (or those little room heaters) until after Christmas.. Before going to Indiana for Christmas, Lisa and I hit several stores (Kohl's and the like) trying to find her a jacket. FINALLY found one single I wanna say fleece Columbia jacket on the "sports wear" rack of a local chained department store...

My daughter learned early on to have at least one warm jacket. She walks every morning, and her description of what she was wearing (like 3 layers) one day last month was hysterical. (Houston). And it was 55. I hope when you both go "up north" you make sure you get something warm to lay in the drawer of the dresser, brought out only once or twice a year. LOL.
We were on vacation in FL in Feb/Mar one year, so had all these different seasons of clothing with us. So, when back up north, we had switched to the sweaters and winter coats, and were half way up WI. when ran into snow. we pulled into rest stop area, got the boots out of the trunk. A man standing, suit, lite topcoat, wondered how we were able to have boots, (nice shiny dress shoes)with us. We noted we lived up here.........lucky us, he said wistfully, he was from Atlanta, flew into WI on business.......and thinking it was March, did not need warmer things. Poor guy, told him we've had snow in April.

I had a nice afternoon playing canasta. I never played before and it was fun.
They have lunch and then play a couple of hours. They found out today
the restaurant is going to charge $200 to use the room. Next month,
the group will have to play somewhere else. I'll plan to keep going.
I might
do another activity. The monthly meeting is the 2nd Monday of the month.

Wayne, you need to remember you can order things online :)

Shan, I hope you'll be feeling like yourself soon.

OC, I hope you have a good afternoon.

A shame the restaurant will start charging. I used to play bridge with a large group, in the restaurant within a resort. No charge for the room, since the owner played bridge with the group.....and I guess, figured lunch price from everyone took care of everything. I came in as a sub, but they needed one more, so was asked to be a part of the group. I do remember tho, at some point, after a few years, we had to play elsewhere, move around or something. People moved, got sick.....I guess. Anyway, the group disbanded. Hope yours stays, Kat. Is there perhaps a Senior center, or VA center, or something like that. Our library has a small room, but not the small tables. Glad you had a good time.

I suggested the library, but the one woman said no lunch.. I guess they like eating
and playing.

Well, maybe they will find a restaurant that will let them stay in a back room to play or something. Or maybe they will just meet somewhere for lunch before hand..........but they still have to have a place to play.

Good evening.... two Christmas gifts arrived today.... I knew when I ordered them in late November it might be iffy to get them on time.... so..... Now I guess I'll break my own rule and make them Valentine's Gifts..... I stopped celebrating Valentines Day in 1998 and do not need cards/dinner out/gifts/flowers and so on for the day..... one of the gifts had two parts... one for Hunny Bunny and one for my son.... I gave HB his gift....it turned out really well.....
Work was insane, we have people out for personal reasons, I don't judge that but it left us "down a man" on a very busy day.... as in I made over $3000 in $150 bites.....never did get the preschooler entered into the district system..... tomorrow is another day.... as someone used to say.......

Back