1-29-16 - Donuts and Morning Stars

Clouds here, as well. In honor of Chase's skunk mishap today....I have a story. When my son was around 15-16 yrs. old, one night, he was sitting around a campfire with some friends, and as the fire was getting low, went to get some more wood. Lots of broken branches/limbs abound around here...and unfortunately, he met Sir skunk. His friends gave him a hard time about the smell, he came home, we were asleep. He went straight downstairs to the basement, took off his clothes and into the wash machine they went. He then went to take a shower, I think he might have taken two or 3, lol. Never heard a thing. Well, in the morning, he was still sleeping, I went outside, and his wallet was on the sill, his shoes next to the stoop. (Leather). I could not imagine the why, until I picked up the wallet. Yep, that smell lingered on, but wasn't so bad, I guess, having been left outside. Guess he thought he would do the best he could. (That is how I heard about tomato juice, when I told a couple people.

So, a year or so goes by, and his one friend used to trap...fox I guess. And he set a trap just off our drive out of here. So, my son is walking to the bus stop at the end, sees......egads, the friend got a skunk. He hi-tailed it back here, called the friend (who lived just 1/2 mile down the road, and was the next pickup after my son). Nothing could be done until school was out late afternoon. Needless to say, I stayed in the whole day, and fortunately, by the time school was out and bus brought them all home. Sammy skunk had gone to meet his maker.

And then we had the skunk who used a hole (chipmunks had done it) to spend the winter. Right next to the bedroom window. One day, I saw the darn thing waddling off, went outside and filled that hole with rocks. LOL Dang thing was not going to return and be comfortable again.

I like your skunk stories, Poirot. It's only fun hearing about other people's skunk stories, never fun to be involved in them. I've heard the tomato remedy but thankfully, have not had occasion to use it. Just recently someone told me of something I wish I had heard long ago (if it works). If a skunk makes a smell under or on the house, heat some cornmeal in a cast iron skillet till brown but not burned. Walk throughout the house, shaking the cornmeal around in the skillet. The claim is that it gets rid of the smell. I am skeptical but the person assured me it works. I've had need of a solution for that problem for decades, but I'm hoping never again, since the house got sealed up good this past year.

Ya know, OC, people have often told me I should write a book......(hysterical idea) because I am definitely a big city gal, born and raised, transplanted to this rural, country, forested, gigantic lake area, and the stories I have of my "intros and learning" have had caused many a laugh. Now I know we have others here who live rural, who live city, who probably have experienced things I never have.
but the transition to completely unfamiliar life style is just.......

Well, a gal I went to school with, yes, Chicago, big city, ended up marrying after 3 weeks, a guy she met from Alaska. They go to his home, have to fly in via small plane (his), yes, we are talking remote, remote. The next morning, she looks out the window, sees a grizzly bear, is all excited, and runs out with camera to take pics. LOL, her hubby following with the shotgun.....she had no idea of the danger. transplants. LOL

The Egg and I.... My mother loved that story! Poirot, I commend you for sticking it out and adapting. I can't tell you how many times I've thought, if I hadn't grown up here, I don't think I'd be able to tolerate some of the conditions.

Back