10-13-2016 - Donuts & Clocks

Noel

Reaction score
Good Morning.

The clocks in this house never match despite being programmable to reset after an outage. Blowing dust means we often lose power yet they never reset to the same time. If that is my day off it can mean longer to sleep; but if it is a workday it means - like now - I am late!

Hoping your Thursday is one to be thankful for many blessings and all your clocks are set on the proper time!

Good morning!

Noel, I hope you have a good day despite your clock fiasco.

Back roads are still flooded here. The rivers should start receding soon. I've been taking the main roads to get to work and one of them had a sinkhole the other day. They fixed the hole but one lane has been blocked the past couple of days while they make sure it's repaired.

Off to work in a few minutes.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Good morning all! The sun is shining and things are okay.

So funny about the clocks. I would lose my mind because I hate for my clocks to be on the wrong time, even by one minute.

Our roads are slowly being cleared but no school for the rest of the week at least because people are still cut off. We have a sinkhole on the outer lane/side of the major road I live on.

Thankfully my friend had electricity back at his fish farm finally late last night. Now TR can go back to work (I got him the job there) and my youngest is going to volunteer with the church today so I will chill.

The storm brought TR and I back together. He came to the rescue when the skylight blew off, ran like a mile and a half from where he was staying, in the storm. After the waters receded in the back yard, he fixed my fence.

Then he moved all his stuff back in and we will do this again. That was my decision. The girls are thrilled. Guess it was meant to be.

Good day to you all!

It rained most of the day yesterday. Birdbath full. I'll be leaving in a few minutes to
spend most of my morning doing errands.

Noel, my bedroom clock has a battery in it so it keeps going when the power goes off.

red, be safe on the roads and have a good day.

YPG, enjoy your day.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

Good Morning everyone,

It got so cold last night that I had to scrape my car windows before I could leave today. Not how I planned to start my day, that's for sure.

Gena is super excited as today is picture day at school. I couldn't convince her to wear a solid color shirt, but she picked out an "ombre" style dress that starts white at the top and slowly changes to hot pink on the bottom. So it should look okay, as mostly white and light pink will be in the picture. Although I made her wear leggings under the dress due to the cold.

Noel - good luck with the clocks.

red - yikes, be careful around those sinkholes

YPG - best of luck with TR, I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it again.

JS - I started Christmas shopping 2 weeks ago. :)

OC - best of luck catching up on everything, as Maria (from the Sound of Music) would say - "Let's start at the very beginning", the tricky part will be to figure out what that is.

Good morning all.......it was grey and yukky this a.m. but now the sun is trying to clear it away. Only partially successful so far. Leaves are coming down pretty fast now, was 38 here this a.m.

Agree about sinkholes, stay far, far away from them. They CAN & do get bigger!

Clocks seem to gain or lose time at will. Even if all set to exact same time at one point. The one on my computer here recently began to really go off kilter. It will be correct, then get a couple minutes fast, even has been 10 minutes fast, then correct itself. Weird. My chiming clock very slowly loses time. I think on battery clocks, when the battery begins to get a bit weak, the clock will perhaps start losing a few seconds, then a minute or so. :)

Good late morning.

I love meetings. Back to back meetings. And as you can see, I'm paying attention closely. :)

Regarding Christmas shopping, I start as soon as I get home from Christmas. It's because of the stockings. I can get lots of little things at a discount. But for my kids, they have asked that I spend the money I'd spend on them on a family that I adopt each holiday season. But I do get the grandkids some goodies. I also continue my mother's annual gifts of new house pants and matching tops for the adults. And those are always on sale for Black Friday, which is why I go.

Scrapping ice off a windshield is something I do not miss. I have a scraper in the car and have used it once while living here. I went to Williams in February to take a train ride to the Grand Canyon, and it was cold.

Have a great Thursday.

I needed TR to watch my youngest, the food and house because I was supposed to go to GA for my mom to have emergency surgery (but that is on hold now because of the hurricane clean up). I trust him with all that.

I had talked to him about it last week and then the hurricane hit and we had a few days stuck together to work out our issues so I think we are both clear now that I am no longer playing games. We have been on and occasionally off since 2004 but I think these last five months really put things into perspective for him. But the girls are happy. They always want him here so that is good.

Took the youngest to walk-in appt this morning for an ingrown toenail and back pain. Had to pay over sixty dollars because my deductible on my insurance had just reset in October. Doctor said Epsom salt soaks, Neosporin and go to the orthopaedic walk-in for her back (which will cost me another sixty bucks or so till my deductible is paid).

The doctor did not clip off the pointy part that is ingrown. She said to just keep soaking it and let it grow. I thought the pointy part should have been clipped because it is making the toe red and causing an infection. Should I try to clip it? I just remember always getting ingrown toenail from wearing boots in the Army and that is what they did.

Cold, damp, rainy and expecting 45-50 mile an hour winds! The other side of the state is supposed to get 50-60 mile an hour with gusts to 90 on the coast. I hope Lois and Joan will be okay!

I'm with JS, it looks like dusk all day!

Hope everyone has a great day.

Thank you so much for helping me! Because of my head injury, I have a hard time with recall and would never have thought of this on my own.

I got her an appointment for tomorrow and they said no Neosporin, just soaks until seen. I feel much better now and at least she will not miss school for this because school is still cancelled till further notice.

OC, I worked in Conecuh National Forest the summer after I graduated from high school. I helped build some of the trails there as part of the Youth Conservation Corps (YCC). It's beautiful there; a lovely spring/pool, called Blue Springs that is so cold, lol. There is no swimming allowed in Open Pond (one of the sink hole ponds) since a man was attacked by an alligator and had his arm torn off years ago. I know the man. He is an engineer and submitted a lot of paperwork to the health department when I worked there. There are other sink hole ponds on private land in the area, too. It's a great camping spot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conecuh_National_Forest

Yes that number seems to be correct lol.

He never had access to my direct bank accounts, just a joint one I opened that he was supposed to contribute to but I had deposited the money in to open. Now he can just give me cash, whenever I want, as much as I want.

One of the first things we covered was him paying me back because him withdrawing the money was very juvenile.

Also that he will never try to stop me from leaving a room again because even if he is not mad and loves me, it is not okay.

And if we ever do get married, he signs a pre-nup that favors me. Since he very much wants to get married, he was glad I even left marriage as a possibility.

We have a very soapy relationship.

Hiya there Everybody! :) I hope that everyone is having a fabulous day. Today was an okay but a challenging day. I woke up today with a mild headache and went to work. As the day progressed at work, my headache got worse and it ended up turning into a migraine. Getting through most of the work day was challenging, although I am feeling just about 100% better. After work I came home and did chores around the house and right now I am relaxing and writing you all a message.

Today's weather was cool and Autumn-like. Right now it is clear and 38 F, very chilly here. It is supposed to get even cooler tonight.

I can not imagine a lizard hanging around outside. I was surprised one day when I was going to work and saw a possum that was killed on the road. Possums are not native to where I live.

I hope that each and everyone of you has a terrific Thursday evening.

Sweetie, I'm glad you are feeling better. That possum sure got lost in the wrong place! Do you not have any lizards at all?

YPG, soapy, indeed.

Kt, that was interesting about the national forest, and to know you helped with the trails. I was surprised that a state as small as Alabama has four national forests! Also most interesting was how they are reintroducing the native pines to encourage the increase of the red-cockaded woodpecker. I've seen pictures of them in my bird book. Would love to see one for real.

OC, when I was in graduate school for environmental science, a classmate did her thesis on methods of managing longleaf pine for the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker. The bird needs old-growth (mature) pine and controlled burns that simulate natures occasional fires. So much has been destroyed over the years. It's wonderful the forestry service is working to improve their habitat.

You know, we have lots of red headed woodpeckers up here, and even those huge red headed pileated woodpecker. Never heard of the cockaded ones, but guess that is because they are mostly in the southeast part of U.S.

Kt, you have done so many interesting things! No wonder you know so much about nature.

Poirot, I would really, really be excited to see one of those pileated woodpeckers! I've seen them in bird books too, and wondered where they might be located. Not around here for sure. Of all the things you've mentioned, seeing one of them, and hearing the loons, would be at the top of my wish list, if I were ever to visit your area. I'd want to skip the bears!

O.K. here is a laugh for you all. My son has a tree stand out in the woods, and has a camera mounted on a closeby tree so he can see if any deer meander by at times. He has a few on film, a bobcat, but yesterday when he went to check it,,, too funny, as a big bear evidently heard the whirring, and all you see on the film is his paw, as he keeps slapping at the camera, striking it, grunting. Too weird to see only that big paw. Amazing he was not able to knock it down, but it did cause some problems for later filming.

Back