10-22-2016 - Donuts & Alarm Clocks

Noel

Reaction score
Good Morning! It's Saturday and we have the weekend to enjoy!

Somehow we lost power last night so my alarm reset to weekdays. So I have been up for over an hour on a day I planned to sleep in til later in the morning. I do love the quiet -- the night sky and stars -- and the privilege of some alone time. Still, I am going to need a nap sometime today.

Wishing each of you a relaxing and fun weekend. Take care!

Good morning.........and without an alarm clock, I woke up at 3 a.m. and spent more than the next hour trying to get back to sleep. Finally did, but the TV went on in the living room at 6:30........so that was the end of sleeping. Sky looks pinkish in the east, right now, very calm out. Forgot to tell you all that I finally got to see a bit of that "bright" moon, two days later, as it was already getting smaller. All the clouds, storms, etc. meant one could not see anything at night. Plus it seemed to be rising in a different spot, I guess.

Hope everyone has a nice relaxing day today...

Good morning!

The weather finally changed back to fall. I'm glad because I was starting to get tired of summer.

Hope you can get a nap later today Noel.

Hoping for clear skies for you today Poirot.

Anyway, it's off to work for me.Then dinner with the fiance today followed by some shopping. I'm trying to find a simple sweater to wear for our engagement photos but it seems to be harder than I thought. I couldn't even find what I wanted at J. Crew. I'm going to try Old Navy tonight. Hopefully I'll have some luck.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good morning everyone,

Rainy and windy today, but it started last night. It's fall for sure---only 52F for our high, and at night it's supposed to be cold as well. This probably will hasten the fall coloring on the leaves. I got a chance to sleep in, which was nice, but I've decided just to go to the bank and gym (they're in the same shopping center) first and get that out of the way so I have the rest of the day to do homework. Tomorrow I have a shift from 7:45AM to 4:15PM, which is great for the money (even though it's tiring) but leaves me with little time for homework.

Hope all of you have a nice day.

Hello everyone. I was walking around outside this morning and ran right into a big spiderweb. What I did next could be called the spidey shake dance, complete with squealing.

Plus it seemed to be rising in a different spot, I guess.

The moon rises basically in the east and sets in the west. It does rise or set a little to the north or south of east, depending on its phase, like how the sun and planets move a little. The sun rises exactly in the east and sets exactly west on the equinoxes. I don't know about the moon, since it changes faster. Too much information?

Have a good day.

Ah, KT, you are such a whiz. There is an exact spot in east where I can see the moon rise, usually it is a full moon or near to it, just behind a small island across the bay, & I see it coming up and if the water is calm, I have Moonlight Bay. However, it must be as you noted that, at times, it may rise a little to south, or north......as when I finally got to see it, it was higher, and to the south. Was only the one day.

Where it rises is just a few yards from where I see the pinkish tint in a.m. when the sun comes up.

I guess I just meant that it was not in the place it usually is.......and in fact has not been. Or maybe I just am not looking at the right time. But the one day, I checked the moon rise time, and boy, in my spot, there was nothing then, or 15-20 minutes later. LOL

I'm going to tell you this, Poirot, simply because I enjoy astronomy. Moon rise is when the moon breaks the horizon. If your view is anything like mine, I can't see the moon until it rises over the trees. I have a better view in the east with the trees farther away, but it still takes at least 30 minutes after official moon rise time for me to see it. The moon is high in the sky now, at its peak, just like the sun will be in summer. The sun/moon/planets follow about the same path across the southern sky from east to west, never in the northern sky. If you hold up a fist to the sky at arms length, that's about 10 degrees. The sun and moon can move about 30 degrees north or south depending on the time of year/month.

There is your astronomy lesson for the day, lol.

Noel, my digital clocks just stop when power goes out. I have to completely reset them. LOL,

kt, I just read a while ago that moonrise in my area tonight is around midnight!

Mandy, interesting that my chamber of commerce here included a whole 2 pages on Wisconsin laws regarding evictions. I nearly fell over, don't know why it was in there. (newsletters containing this go to hundreds of people)

Daysdg, sorry you are missing the festival, but the homework is important, hope you get it all done today. Early day for you tomorrow, and a long day. Stay healthy, most important.

Trust Iamred finds a really nice sweater. I know the stores are putting out all the new merchandise now. Gosh, I have not been in one in a year!!!

I have been waking up so much lately, just because I am not used to TR being around.

All of my clocks and alarms are from my phone so I will be quite aware that he will awake me at say, 5:00 am, to ask me if I am okay because I was moving around and then just be unable to go back to sleep so I am off to the living room with the pups to watch the news.

Interesting moon info. I have not taken notice of the moon lately but now that things have cooled off, I will be out watching the sun set/moon rise more often.

I decided to be diplomatic and rectify the sister drama. I just ignored the hurtful things that were said and presented them with an option to sort out our issues. So the Great Sister Feud of 2016 has been resolved.

Good thing about having TR around is he does help out. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, school rides, doggy daycare drop off and pickup. Makes things a little easier for me, especially as the weather cools and My arthritis picks up.

So my BFF says her boyfriend may be getting military orders to DC in about 6 months and she will be going with him. I fear that is not the case as they have been dating for over a year and though she stays with him all of the time, he insists she maintain a separate residence because she has a cat and dog. So I wish her the best and will be here for her regardless and we will see.

Off to cook chicken fajitas with stoplight (red, yellow, green) peppers and sweet onions.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have lived about 2/3 of my life in this house, on and off. Front faces west, back faces east. So I've spent nearly a lifetime observing all the landmarks of where the sun rises and sets, and where the splashes of light come through the many windows in my house at different times of the year. So I know exactly what to expect with that. But the moon keeps me confused. Kt, you give good explanations, but it seems like every time I turn around, the moon is in a place where I didn't expect it.

Like Poirot, I often see the full moon rising in the east. When it is pretty near east or a little north of east, I get the best view. When it is further to the south I have to wait until it is higher because the detached garage blocks the view. I had thought it was a seasonal thing, like the sun, only maybe opposite seasons, as to the north and south angles. Also, I often see the full moon in the west early in the mornings. Several days ago, when the moon was full, I saw it before dawn, low in the western sky--for a couple of days. Then this morning I was up an hour or so before daylight and there was the moon in the east! A little on the south side of east. Maybe I was dreaming or I looked at the clock wrong? I did have a very unrestful (restless) night.

Poirot, I loved your description of your Moonlight Bay. Always liked that song a lot, and also, Old Cape Cod. Always wanted to go there. Had an invitation to go and stay in our sister-in-law's family cottage there one time and my husband turned it down without even asking me if I wanted to go. Grrrr!!

YPG, good for you, getting the sister issue resolved! Your fajitas sound good!

OC, the movements of the moon are especially complicated, since it's so close to earth. The sun is easier to predict, for me. I have a crack in a southeast window that makes a pretty rainbow on my living room floor this time of year (in the morning), when the sun is low. I call it Remmy's Rainbow because it shines on her black hair as she lies on the floor, lol. That doesn't happen in other seasons.

robin............Ido appreciate your drive.I once had to drive from here to St. Louis, and after 12 hrs. had to stop near Springfield,IL. Fortunately for you, a rest. Back then, I had to drive (just a couple hrs) the next day..........but where I stopped for the night, no restaurants, lousy motel.

O.K. I do not tell motel stories, but this is a doozy. Hope I have not told it before. It was a Motel 6, just one gal at the desk. On the phone forever. One guy walked out, not willing to wait. She has a room for me, but no key. Goes somewhere upstairs to get one made. Phone rings,,,,no one there. Shows me to my room, will be back with key. Is a room ordinarily saved for disabled. One queen or king size bed. I have to drive around to finally find a KFC or McDonalds, nothing close by, So, I eat in the room, watch TV a bit, get ready for bed. Pull the covers back, Yuk. DRied semen on the top sheet, and for some reason, no bottom sheet. I slept in the recliner chair, thank goodness there was one. In a.m., when leaving, and paying bill, was asked if all was o.k. Said no.......explained.......oh, gee, sorry. No discount, etc.

Hubby used to brag about Motel 6, rates, etc. NEVER ever stayed at one again, first and last time was enough. Ughhhhh.

Aaarrgghhh! Poirot, how sickening. I bet a lot of us could tell motel stories but that one is about as bad as it gets!

Robin, I sure hope you get a good night's rest!

Kt, I loved hearing about Remmy's Rainbow. That's the kind of thing that puts a smile on the face, regardless of whatever else is going on.

Back