10/25/2016 - Donuts & Shopping

Noel

Reaction score
Good Morning.

Today it is 2 months until Christmas. I have a new remedy for insomnia: Christmas clearance shopping online. I now have 4 new packages to be delivered before Thanksgiving. What great bargains because stores haven't finished stocking Christmas items but warehouses are filling with Spring items.

Wishing each of you a lovely Tuesday. May your work day be light and your recreation relaxing.

I actually miss Christmas shopping, probably because I miss celebrating Christmas. I wonder what
the world would be like if we weren't so interested in presents on that day? Too many people have
forgotten why we celebrate the day. Years ago people celebrated the day so differently. Celebrations
and parties. Maybe a small gift. Why are we celebrating someone's birthday by giving each other
gifts? I hope it won't be too much longer things will be different for the world.

I had big plans again for this holiday, but since I'm still alone I won't be doing it again. I wanted
to help a family. My ex and I did something one year. I said no presents for each other and
we did something different. I wanted do to that every year, but I can't afford it now. And my son
isn't going to lie to my grandson about Santa Claus. I hope that's working since my grandson
doesn't live close to him anymore.

Sorry all for saying this, but if you've been alone as long as I have been, you see things
so differently.
The only thing I do is play holiday songs starting in November. I would decorate if I wasn't alone. I love
Christmas lights. Maybe I should have told you about my Monday instead.

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday with no worries or pains.

CONGRATS, Wayne! Rejoicing with you for this blessing. Our souls enlarge when we love another and are loved by them. :love::love:

Kat, I respect your views and accept your feelings. A gift is not necessarily expensive but an expression of love from my heart.

JS: those are lovely suggestions for celebrating any holiday, especially Christmas. The shepherds were alone in the fields and worshipped Baby Jesus.

As for an organization serving the needy: Samaritan's Purse. My catalog arrived last week. For a small amount you donate for chickens or hosts to poor villagers or larger amounts for the prosperous have options. Our church, and many of you, participate in Operation Christmas Child where you fill a shoebox for a poor child somewhere in this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Friends,
Oh, Wayne - Congratulations. I'm so happy for you and your lucky lady!!! :love::love::clap:

Kat - I agree with JS, you should decorate for you, and celebrate the way you like. If you can't afford to help a whole family (heaven knows we couldn't afford that either), then maybe donate to Toys for Tots, or see if you can adopt a child for Christmas, if that's what helps you feel whole at the holidays. Love you girl!!

Noel - hmm, late night Christmas shopping makes me sleepy just thinking about it.

Can't stay long as my class starts in 5 minutes, but I wanted to stop in and wish you all a wonderful day!

Ahhh, Wayne, sooo good you have been at keeping your lovely lady under wraps for so long. Congrats, big time, my friend. Love your way to announce you have asked for her "hand" in marriage, with that beautiful ring. Blessings on you both.

Kat, there are a lot of folks who live alone, & decorate, even small time, for Christmas. And there are people who may live with another person, and don't, or just barely do. That includes me, who used to do it big time. But, living so rural, no neighbors, family, etc. yep, a small little table tree is it. As for gift giving, I think that all began with the 3 Wise Men bringing the gold, frankincense & myrrh.

In our area, they do Toys for Tots, collect mittens or warm socks, winter jackets for kids. And our church has a tree, on which hang paper snowflakes, with possible gifts to buy for specific needy people. I.E. size listed for shirt, sweater, pants, warm hat, gloves, etc for an adult. Same for a child, or specific toy or two. You take the snowflake and then buy for that person, and then about a week before Christmas, a few people come in, wrap the items as gifts, take off the price tags, etc. You have to include the snowflake in your package, as they are numbered, and thus will get delivered to the right persons.

And then there are those places that will make and serve Christmas dinners, etc. which is a wonderful way to celebrate the holiday.

By the way, even with the small table tree......the manger ALWAYS goes up. And it goes up first. :)

Finishing laundry today, gonna try and reduce my desk clutter as well. Sun is up, but big rains due tonight. Ugh.

Morning all.

Wayne - Congratulations! Lovely hand and lovely ring. Very special, and nice.

Noel - I, too, have been known to shop late at night.

Manda - didn't pop in again last night to say I really hope all goes well before the 8th and you don't have to contact police to remove those folks.

kat - you have some excellent points about Christmas. Know that at least this person would love to share in the joy of the season with you if she lived where that was a possibility.

Happy Tuesday to you all.

Wayne, congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your future wife! That's a pretty ring.

Kat, the music and the lights are my favorite part of Christmas celebrations too. I haven't done Christmas for the past 2-3 years because I simply don't have the energy or the focus to put into it. Figuring out presents for everybody and cooking are the two main things that I can't deal with at this point. I would love to be able to go to one of our kids' homes for Christmas. We did that a few times some years back. But it is impossible to take my husband places like that now. So I'll just play my music and be glad I don't have to cook! :)

Squirrel, have safe travels and a good stay at your ritzy hotel. I understand preferring to sleep in your own bed.

Kat, back to a post from yesterday, I have a question about moles. I've never seen one, but we have these holes with mounds of dirt piled around them, all over the pasture down near the river. My dad used to tell me they were mole holes, and I guess they are because I don't know what else they could be, but it seems strange to me that in all of my life I've never seen a mole. Do yours make holes like that?

Hi everyone!

Congrats Wayne!!

There's still two more months until Christmas?!?:beat:

The only person in my family who really gets presents is my niece. My fiancé and I are going to set a limit on how much we spend on each other.

Working 3-10 today. Hopefully it's not too nuts.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Wow Wayne, no wonder you haven't been posting here much! This is such exciting news! Congratulations and don't keep us in the dark about the wedding, lol. I'm so happy for you two!

Kat, I have a little tree, about 4 feet tall. It's kind of a "pop-up" tree with lights, but it works for me (though Remmy doesn't like it, lol). I love staring at it in the dark.

OC, I've seen strips of dirt pushed up in the yard where moles made tunnels. If I see a mound around a hole, it's usually a crawfish burrow around here.

Take care everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel - 2 months! I get so excited for the Holidays for many reasons!

Kat - So sorry you feel that way about Christmas! However, if you enjoy the season and the birth of Jesus, you need to celebrate whether you have a partner or not. I was sad and down for so long when I lost my Mother and one day I thought, you know, nobody is going to make it better but me. I can choose to do nothing but feel sad she is gone, or I can remember her and enjoy the time we had and still have good times now. Put up a little tree, play Christmas music and you love to volunteer, help feed the hungry!

Congrats Wayne - beautiful ring!

Manda - hope your class was good and you didn't fall asleep like I would!!

Imared - Hope your day isn't too nuts!

KT - That's when I enjoy the tree the most too! Sitting in the dark either listening to Christmas music or watching a Hallmark Christmas show!

Another beautiful day - hope you enjoy

Congrats, Wayne. I'm so happy for you and God Bless.

I wonder what I need to do to change myself?

I have bags of stuffed animals for Toys for Tots now. I hope this year Walmart puts out a box for them.
They didn't last year. I don't watch Hallmark channel when they have Christmas movies. They would be too sad for me since I'm alone. I think all of them are romance movies.Thanks all for the well wishes. I'll keep praying to God.

God did something nice today because of what happened on Monday. Goldie and I went
out for our walk about 7:30 and the deer were by the fence. Further down where I've seen them before. When I got back, they were in they were in the trees. I posted a mini video at my YouTube page. You can't seem them very well except when they are running away. I'm going to sneak out early tomorrow if it's not raining. Maybe I'll see them.

Busy day the school library and I got extra exercise. It's book fair week and the shelves are
pushed together.I usually just get bending exercises. Today was bend, twist and try to turn around :)

I've got to dash. I'm reading another Book of the Bible. The chapters in this book are very long.
The church book is due the 13th.

Good evening all,

Wayne, congratulations! Wishing you and the soon-to-be-Mrs. all the best!

Cold and windy day here, mostly cloudy too. Had just the one class, but tonight will be busy--two papers for tomorrow. I have a Spanish quiz as well tomorrow morning, but I probably won't get to study for it.

Hope everyone has a nice night.

Congrats, Wayne!

I logged in the other night and was working on a post here when I heard a noise at the door. I assumed it was a possum or skunk because it was rustling under the bush under our kitchen window. I heard it again in a bit and then heard a snort. All 7 of our piglets had busted out and were roaming around, digging up my yard. It took me and Annabelle two hours in the dark to get them all rounded back up and the pen fixed good enough to last the night.

It's Red Ribbon Week at school, so the girls have different dress up days each week. Today was Decades Day, so they represented different aspects of the 60s. Ava was more of a Go-Go dancer and Annabelle was more of a hippie/flower child. They also had dance class today. We've been busy with field trips, the dress up days, lots of homework for Annabelle, and lots of catch-up cleaning I need to do now that we're all healthy and over the stomach bug.

Rocky, how fun for the kids.......mine did not have such fun things to dress up for school. I love it. I have been an "adult" chaperone on many field trips, even when my kids were no longer in grade school, but I loved doing it. ( yep, the ex-PTA Prez was a sucker for it all)

I was working a crossword puzzle last week, which asked for what a group of piglets were called. Did not have a clue back then, and frankly, the answer, which I cannot remember now, did not make sense to me.

So, O.k. my mind is still boggling with happy over Wayne getting engaged, but ....that I had no idea he was even dating someone seriously.....Wayne, not a happy camper here, tho, honestly, I really understand.

Rocky, what fun dress up days for the girls! Not fun chasing pigs around in the dark though. I'd be afraid of stepping on a snake, although maybe the pigs would have cleared out the snakes by the time you got out there. So glad you are over the sick bugs now. My son's family in Fort Worth is going through all that right now.

Back