10/28/21 Donuts and no walk

WEll, seems Social Security wants copy of marriage license. First time in all these years anyone asked me for that. Spent hours tearing house apart, including going thru a cedar chest I had not opened in years. At one time, I had two, one from state, one from church. Nope, So, then I spent over an hour on the phone with Vital Records of Cook County (Chicago) listening over and over to same robot message, finally getting a live person. Upshot....will cost me nearly $50, and will not be here til Dec. 31st. !!!! And then, when I send that to SS, will be another 45 days before that all gets changed. Grrrrrr. The one ins. company also told me 45 days to process claim.d Dragging their feet...all of them...

Oh Poirot, that's awful! I'm pretty sure I didn't need a marriage license. I'd be hard pressed to come up with one. But I suppose maybe it has to do with how one is set up on Social Security--as a couple, individuals, etc., whatever. I was shocked at how easy it was for me to get that changed. I called a local office and the lady basically said she'd take care of everything and she did, pretty much right away. I'm so sorry it is running into such a hassle for you. It seems all of our systems have gotten so bloated and cumbersome, it's hard to get anything done.

OC... when I went to claim my ex's SS and allow mine to grow..... I needed our Marriage License.... our divorce papers weren't enough, the woman wouldn't even acknowledge that it proved we had been married and in the notarized pages contained our wedding date!! This was before the pandemic, I called the county where we were married and was told they only do copies of Marriage licences in person, you it couldn't fill out a form send in the fee and get a copy, and they didn't make appointments, so I would have had to fly to CA, rent a car, pay for parking, walk into the Records Department and then fill out forms, prove who I am with a drivers license AND birth certificate because I'm still 19 inches and 6 1/2 pounds....... then wait 3 weeks for them to mail to me. It's an insane process..... and unfair..... I don't know if I could do it over the phone now....
and yes, I was on hold for a long time to be told I could only make the request in person.... My ex didn't have a copy either..... tried him in the attempt to avoid the trip to CA.....

Oh, yes, have to send in photo of driver's license as well. !!!

Good grief, what an ordeal, Robin and Poirot! I was so stressed out from all the years that preceded that point, I know I don't remember the details and it's possible I may have had to submit some copies of things. I do know I was very surprised at how easy the lady made it for me. But I'd had to collect excessive amounts of paperwork of all kinds of things when I'd applied for the nursing home medicaid, it's possible I had already done what was needed. Had already gotten all property, etc. out of his name. When I called the local social security office, she found my records right away and it wasn't complicated.

Fortunately I was told years ago to keep a certified copy of my marriage license, any death certificates or divorce papers in a lock box at the bank. So I did. I just had to go there and get them. They mailed back the marriage certificate.

I figure that when the license finally comes from Chicago, I will then come across the one I had here in the house. And I did have a lockbox at the bank which is where I thought it would be. Nope.Oh, my MOTHER'S birth certificate, my parents' marriage certificate.....but not mine. Grrrrr.

I figure that when the license finally comes from Chicago, I will then come across the one I had here in the house. And I did have a lockbox at the bank which is where I thought it would be. Nope.Oh, my MOTHER'S birth certificate, my parents' marriage certificate.....but not mine. Grrrrr.
I can just imagine how frustrating the was! When I think about the things I SHOULD HAVE done to make things easier.......... I am in process still of simplifying everything and making sure everything is where it SHOULD be. It's not easy.

Back