11/15/21 - Donuts & Wind!

Lil0

Reaction score
Website
keraskitchen.com
Good morning, all. High wind warning here until 7:00 PM. Winds are 40 to 50 mph with gusts to 65 mph. I guess I better plan on some power outage. I have all the groceries I need, so I don't need to leave the house. They are recommending that we stay inside and away from any place that might be at risk of falling trees or limbs. It is very noisy out there right now.
Wishing you all a safe and comfortable day.

Oh, ugh, Lil0, we have that kind of forecast for later this week. It was 15° this morn. (6 a.m.) & now has climbed up to 24° 2 1/2 hrs. later. LOL Good you have enough food in the house, I am going out this a.m. in a bit to get a few things at the store, as tho no more snow so far forecast, the wind gets pretty nasty, as you say. Plus cold wind is not easy on my lungs either. Got to finish laundry this a.m., then dash out, plus get some bills in the mail. Have a good day, everyone.

Okay I won't say anything about it being cold this morning when I let the BEAST out..... it was 54.... he has a doggie door but he prefers to stand by the sliding door and bark...... as I am now sleeping in the reclining chair in the living room I was the winner of the let the dog out prize......
It will warm up to a pleasant 85+ day so fall is hanging in there for a bit longer.....

Good Monday to all....

It was 42 when I dropped girls at school. But up to the 60’s now and high of 70.

We have a lot of stuff to do this week in preparation for next week. The girls have the entire week off so that’s nice

It was in the 30s when I walked early this morning. It's my first walk since last Wed or Thurs.
I only went around two times. It's sunny and in the 60s this afternoon.

Then it was on to a crazy morning with people not reading the top of their garbage cans. The
recycle cans either got empty (long story) or pushed back to the house. MEN.. two of them. I
was able to put the trash in three cans. One of mine and two neighbors.

Then I went to town and got some shopping done. I picked up lunch at Wendy's. Played with
the neighbor's dog. I'll be going out soon and do more raking. What fun... not really. I'll keep
my foot up this evening. It's still swollen, but not as bad.

Lil0, I'm glad you don't have to go outside in the wind today.

Poirot, I hope the streets weren't too bad for you to go shopping today.

robin, I hope you're feeling better each day since your surgery.

Kris, good luck getting this week's chores done before next week.

Wishing everyone a wonderful rest of the day.

Alas for me, it was half and half. I got groceries and all was well with parking lot clear of snow & ice, so could safely walk. But I forgot to stop at butcher shop, figured I would go after I went out for mail, did so.........parked car, but tho no snow, there was ice from door to parking lot (just a small shop) and tho I tried to get around it, in different ways, was impossible, so just came back home. Just cannot take a chance on falling.....hubby did so last Sept., my son at end of January. Both broke a hip.......I'd rather be safe than sorry. They are saying tomorrow it will be 40, so maybe will try again, it may be more melted then. (doorway in shade)
I did get a short nap in this afternoon...was soooo tired. (only 5 hrs. sleep last night, kept waking up, toss, turn, etc. ) Well, the sun is leaving, starting to get dark..only got to 33 today, no wonder nothing hardly melted.
We are going into a really cold, below freezing time period, beginning Wed., my boots are so worn, so today I am online looking to get some new ones. I HATE being unable to see something in person before I buy it. Grrrrr.

Hello. It was supposed to get to 80* here today but it got to at least 83*, which is believable, since I went outside earlier and had to take off my jacket. I guess you got all the wind, Lil0. This is the first day in a while that it's been still here. I hope you don't get any damage. Any big trees near your house?

Kat, I wonder if you may have cracked some of the little bones in your foot. But it's good to hear you are getting better and you seem to be taking care of it. I hope you don't overdo though.

Kris, take a deep breath. Lol.

Robin, I have to laugh about Vinnie barking at the door instead of using the doggie door. I'm glad I can be entertained by other people's pets and not have to take care of any myself. My niece has an old dog with dementia. (Her animals are so pampered they live extraordinarily long lives). The dog goes to the door constantly, wanting to go out and do her business but when she gets outside she stands there looking around, as though she forgot what she was doing there. It goes on and on and on.

Poirot, it sounds like winter has probably settled in around you. I don't know how you face that each year. Yes, definitely be safe rather than sorry! Seems like the butcher shop would do something about the ice. If that entrance is in the shade, they must know about it.

After sleeping over 2 1/2 hours yesterday afternoon, I went to bed at 1:15 a.m. and slept until 8:15 am. The past few weeks have been unusually busy for me, which is probably a good thing. I could easily become a hermit. I had to get out of my comfort zone to get a ride to the ceremony on Sat. with a lady who is a casual acquaintance. People think I live in the middle of nowhere but the place we were going makes my location seem like 5th Avenue! It's all on private property but the ranches over in that area are huge, and the pastures around the river are rugged, with big, rocky hills and in some places, impenetrable brush, trees, etc., similar to here but more extreme.

The ceremony centered around a Texas Ranger who was killed by Indians back in the 1850s, when this place was a significant frontier Army camp in Texas. They never built a real fort because of the Civil War. There are some graves and a couple of monuments, and just recently they've had some people come in to uncover the foundations of a few rock buildings. The property was owned by a reputed "outlaw" (murderer/cattle thief), who married into one of the families who owned much of the land in that area. My grandmother came out of this family. There have been books written about this supposed outlaw but accurate information has been hard to come by, since all the people in the area were tight-lipped for generations, after the man was arrested and put in the tiny, primitive jail and chained to the wall, then during the night Vigilantes came in and shot and killed him. There's been a lot of mystery surrounding the story. Some are still trying to put the pieces together. Most of the researchers now believe that the man was not a murderer/thief but rather that the neighboring ranchers were envious of his success and trying to put him out of business but he knew some of them were in the Vigilantes (because he had previously been one of them) and was about to name them so they silenced him. I guess we'll never know for certain and it's not of much interest to anyone except those of us who have family connections to the area and the story. There is a wonderfully preserved ranch home, built by the "outlaw" on the property. His grave, and a a couple of others are out behind the house. The meeting on Saturday was by invitation only. I'm guessing there were around 30 people present.

The most exciting part for me was crossing that river. I was nervous about it because my niece and I had been taken across a few years ago by the lady who owned the property then (she's now deceased). We weren't prepared for driving down a steep path cut through the river bank and driving right through the water. It scared both of us but apparently the people who live around there think nothing of it. So the lady I was with Saturday had never driven across it before but she had lived on the other side of the river for most of her life and had ridden horses across it. She seems to have nerves of steel. Nothing gets her excited. As we were coming back across it on our way out, we got out of the water okay but then the road on the other side was muddy and we got stuck! After making several unsuccessful attempts, she switched her truck to 4wd and still couldn't get it going, so I was getting uneasy. She never said a word or gave any indication of concern. Finally, she backed down into the river and got a bit of a running start and made it through the muddy spot. It was nearly dark when I got home and I'd had enough excitement for the week. I hope I can stay home this week. Lots I need to do before my son's family, and my daughter come next week.

You are one brave soul, OC, & your friend even more so! Cannot get over how fast it gets dark here. It was pretty dark by 4:30 (after I wrote above post at 4, but it soon became pitch dark! I do NOT like being out or driving in the dark, for sure. There is a large group of wonderfully talented young kids who sing........called Kids from Wisconsin......saw them twice in previous years, usually come in January, last year no tour because of pandemic. Well they will be coming this year and usually it is a Fri & Sat evening......but this time it will be Sat evening & Sunday afternoon......because of so many not liking to be driving home in dark. That is so nice. When I lived out at the lake, I remember some acting group my older son was involved with at college, came to town, did this great play (my son was in it) but they were from the college up north, and tho the performance was free, they had to be fed and housed for the night. So I told my son, o.k. I would take 3......ended up with 6 or 7, lol. Was hysterical finding, making beds for them all. My son thought nothing of, hey, you can come to my house to them. Now to feed.......but dinner, they, for some reason, all wanted pizza, they never get it (they toured and went thru this in lots of small towns.) Fine with me. And they all wanted to sit around a campfire on the beach....something else they never got to do. LOL. Heck, they slept in the family room. living room, 2 bedrooms, we made do and they seemed to love it all. Breakfast was fun..........lots of scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon. I had an empty frig, guarantee you. And I had not thought of that in some years, guarantee you.

Poirot, what wonderful memories for you! I bet your home was one where all the kids would like to hang out. My mother was like that. I always wished I could be but I just wasn't wired that way, was never comfortable with cooking for extra people, etc. I hope you get to go see the Kids group sing, maybe on a Sunday afternoon. I'm the same way about driving after dark and absolutely would not try it now if there were snow or especially ice on the ground.

Back