12/20/17 - Donuts and Snow

M

Muzzaman

Good morning and my bragging about the wonderful and warm record breaking temperatures we had last week have come to an end. Last night I shoveled our driveway 3 times in 5 hours. It is still snowing and have gotten 24cm (9.843, let's just 10 inches) of snow so far. It will be brutal shoveling the driveway when I get home from work today. Which is my last day of work until the 29th. Woo hoo!!

We will not be leaving Calgary until Friday, fingers crossed as more snow is expected but this will give the crews time to get the roads cleared really well over and though the mountain passes. All we can do is take the wait and see approach.

Poirot, you had asked about chains on our tires and no, we do not have chains but have winter tires instead which are very good.

OC, good luck today. Will be thinking of you.

Hope everyone has a safe day and good one, to boot!!

Good morning......yesterday our high in morning was 34 (about 5*C) and temp began dropping in early afternoon. This a.m. it is 8, (-15*C) & the snow is to start tonight. Hope the roads are plowed in a.m. tomorrow is dr. apt. for me. And my son has to drive in for his, so will be worse for him.

Muzza, I am glad you have the winter tires, it is amazing to me, that it is law in Canada to have them or chains to go thru that pass in the mountains. I confess, I have such a "thing" about driving thru mountains, that I won't do it anymore. It just came over me, while driving up to Pike's Peak. I was a basket case. LOL, Anyway, I hope the snow will have stopped, and all roads cleared for you by Friday. (You need a snow blower for your driveway)
Skies are grey here, yes, the snow is coming, and a lot. By the way, they are calling this...winter storm Dylan.

Stay safe, everyone, whatever your plans. :)

Here, if "chains are required" they mean it. Snow tires don't count. Wishing you well, Muzza.

Yesterday evening we had big sloppy flakes mixed in with the rain, and I thought that if the temp dropped a few more degrees we were going to be coated in white. Nope. This morning everything is wet and above freezing. I think we are scheduled to have some snow yet this week. We'll see.

Wishing everyone a safe day!

Good Morning,

Poirot - what happened to the B & C Winter storms? We went from Abigail to Dylan. Did I sleep through 2 storms? Safe travels tomorrow.

Muzz - that's a lot of snow for such a short time. Hope you're able to make your holiday trip.

Lil0 - thankfully it's above freezing, all that ice would be terrible

Work is still insanely busy, but I enjoy sneaking away to visit all of you. Tomorrow I have the day off so I can wrap presents and cut fabric for our Girl Scout service project, which depending upon how fast the girls work, may take 2 meetings to complete. We'll be making polar fleece hats to be donated to one of the homeless shelters in our city. It's a no sew hat that's put together similar to those fleece tie blankets. We bought/received (donations from my mom) enough fleece to make between 20 and 30 hats. I'm so excited that our girls will be able to help the community.

Have a great day!

Morning all.

The drive in this morning was nice. Reminded me of summer almost. The schools are closed for the upcoming holidays. But more importantly, the Snow Birds slept in!!!! They always add so much enjoyment on the roads. I promise that when I retire I will not get up and drive around town during commute times.

So as I was leaving for work today, I was hit with the news the hunny bunny was considering driving to see his daughter for the holidays. Now I have oh, 2 days, to find a place for Mr. Gus. I knew he wouldn't be coming to the coast with me because I was taking my stepmom, and he dislikes this holiday. So he thought staying home alone is great fun. I did ask him. I offered to pay for his air fare to and from so he wouldn't have to ride in the car for 7 hours with her. He's killing me.

OC - good luck today. You are in my thoughts. Hope it is a good day and things progress well.

Muzz - good luck on the driveway. So much snow.

Manda - we want pictures of the completed hats. Or at least I want pictures. Sounds like a fun project. Where do you find the time? Amazing.

Okay, back to the wonderful world of work.

Good Morning. Isn't it just almost unbelievable that Christmas is only 5 days away?! You wait all year, and once Thanksgiving Day passes the time flies on reindeer speed.

OC: thinking and praying for you, your hubby, and the facilities today as you make the transition needed for proper full time care for your husband. And you need some rest! This is difficult and painful, but you are so strong I absolutely have no doubt that you will handle it with grace! Blessings.

Muzza: your delayed travel plans due to weather sound very wise. Here you must use chains or you cannot pass the roads to northern Arizona. In Indiana, however, where I am from and they actually do have snow in the entire state some winters, you can make your own choice. Wishing you safe travels everywhere until you are 'home' for Christmas!

Poirot: the road up to Pike's Peak terrified my mother too. I think of that because today is her birthday and when you commented on the narrow one-way road it brought back memories. Dad had to back up to the tiniest place for two cars to pass that I have ever seen. We all thought it was a 'fun adventure', but then children have no fear of death most times. Stay safe and I hope roads are properly plowed when you travel tomorrow.

Lil0: hope your rainy icy slush is turned into brilliant snow by Christmas Day. Stay safe out there! And maybe read a good book until it is prettier outside?

Manda: your girl scout projects are always so creative and fun for girls. Bravo on doing such a good job when you are already exhausted from work, home projects, and Christmas extras. Know what was most beautiful sounding today? Not a word about Gena feeling sick, hurting, or weak!!! Now that is something to shout a hardy HO-HO-HO too!

Robin: You just gotta love men through some things don't you? So very nice you are taking your Stepmother on the trip with her so this Christmas she is not all alone without any family. That type of giving is the true Christmas spirit and I pray you will all be deeply blessed. And remember, the Snow Birds love to drive at evening rush-hour times. Be careful out there.

Time for this lady to get back to work today. Wishing each of you a safe and warm day with maybe a little Christmas surprise to brighten your smiles.

robin - safe travels to the coast. I'll try to get pictures of the hats and the girls making the hats. I promise if I didn't have the girls to help, I would not be doing this project this time of year. But they will earn their Take Action Project Badge, and we'll get to help people less fortunate than we are. The one mom got all teary eyed when I told her what we were going to be working on.

Best of all, I got a great deal on the fleece, 75% off the remnants. So for just under $8, I got about 6 yards of fleece, plus my mom donated 3 more yards. Each yard makes approximately 4 hats. It makes me happy to find good deals so we can do more service projects going forward.

Noel - I hope work is smooth and emergency-free today for you. Yes, Gena is feeling much better, and loving being back at school.

OC - you are in my thoughts & prayers today. I hope your day is going good. My Grandmother had dementia and she was really brutal. She would hit people over the head with her cane. It was awful. But they have many nursing homes here that are strictly for the elderly like her.

Also, Joanie & Lois live on the west side of Washington and I live on the East side. They have more rain then we do and we have colder temps and a lot more snow then they do. They are upper West coast and the Amtrack wreck was not quite right in the middle of the state.

Muzz - good luck with the storm coming through. Hopefully it comes through fast and leaves fast. I will be thinking about you.

Poirot - sounds like our storms are coming your way now. Good luck also, especially since you have to go out.

Manda - your Girl Scout project sounds so fun and giving also. So glad Gena is feeling better.

Robin - good luck finding a place for Mr. Gus. 2 days doesn't seem long enough. Hopefully it will all work out.

Noel - I hope work is going good for you today. Do you get any time off at all for the holidays?

We're cold today but no rain or snow. It poured so hard last night I though it was going to come through the house. We had the girls last night and the last time they were over was Sunday. Rick had moved the Elf in the bathroom getting into the toothpaste and they both were just amazed he was in there. It's so cute to have such an innocent game!

Stay warm.

Poirot - it's funny, my Grandma had a little elf that looks just like Gena's elf on the shelf only smaller, but she just always put it out like a regular old Christmas decoration. I remember she had this metal cafe sculpture that hung on the wall, she usually had the elf sit on one of the cafe chairs. I wonder sometimes where he elf went.

Our elf is pretending to be a fairy today.

upload_2017-12-20_14-22-18.png

A rainy morning for walking today. It's cloudy now. I've had a down
and up morning. I guess that means the day evened out :)

Too long to explain the bad part so I'll let you know about the good
part. When I
was leaving school today a teacher asked me to wait a few minutes. (I see teachers
more often because the copy machine is in library now) When she came back, she
said oops already taken care of. When I checked out, the secretary gave me a big gift
bag. She told they collected gifts and one was left over. Everyone decided to let me
have it. What a surprise. I'm going to open it next week.

Muzzaman, I hope the roads won't be bad when you have to travel later in the week.

manda, great project the girls are doing for the homeless. I'm glad some
children are
being taught to help others.

Poirot, I hope the roads aren't too bad for traveling to doctor tomorrow.

robin, good luck in finding a place for Mr Gus to stay for the holiday.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day and evening.

We have some sun peeking through the clouds this morning! It absolutely poured off and on all day yesterday. Much colder today!

Thank you all so much for the birthday greetings yesterday, they were greatly appreciated!!! I really consider you all my good friends and although I don't post on here nearly enough I really read the board every day to keep up with you all!

OC, I will be thinking of you and prayers will be sent up until you have your husband settled safely in his new home. I know that once he is settled in that you will be able to relax more and hopefully get some needed sleep!

Muzza, I hope that the weather improves so that you can get a good start in your travels on the road.

Poirot, hope you have no road problems going to the doctor tomorrow. Be safe.

Manda, so glad that Gena is feeling better now!

Big hugs to you all on here and safe travels for all you travelers!! Be safe.

Hi everyone!

It was cloudy and cooler today with it only being the in the 50s.

Work is still nuts. I'm ready for Christmas Day to be here. I'm so tired from running around all day.

Muzza, I don't think I could drive through the mountains with snow everywhere. I can however drive through a tunnel (underwater) without hitting the brakes unlike some of the clowns here. However, driving the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is not for a beginner especially if it's windy.

Robin, we don't have snow birds here but still plenty of idiots out driving causing fun traffic delays every day. Hope you can find some last minute accommodations for Mr. Gus.

Manda, sounds like a fun project for the Girl Scout group.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful night!

I was interested in reading all the reports of chains for cars. I didn't know they were required in some places. My dad used to put them on our car at times when I was a young child. It seems we had more wintry weather back then. I haven't seen any chains in a very long time.

The very thought of driving through the mountains in snow/ice makes me queasy!

Manda, I too am curious to see a picture of the hats, if you are able to post one. Such a good project!

Kat, what a nice surprise you had!

Shan, how sad, about your grandmother. My grandmother did a few shocking things too, dangerous but not purposely violent. My husband hasn't actually gotten violent but on a few occasions he has spoken to the nurses/therapists in a very ugly, rude manner and has held up his arm in a threatening manner when they persist in trying to get him to do something he doesn't want to do.

Shan, I also was interested in your explanation of where things are located in Washington. The closest I ever got to that state was Boise, Idaho, when I was nine.

Well, the deed is done. Husband was finally taken to the nursing home around 4:30 this afternoon. Until about 30 minutes prior to that, I thought it was going to be delayed again. When I got to the hospital this morning they told me he had a urinary infection and might not get transferred today after all. He wore himself out today, struggling to try to get out of the bed and then later, the chair. So when they finally came to move him he was sound asleep. The put him on a gurney, loaded him into an ambulance, drove to the nursing home, unloaded him, took him inside, and put him in a bed and he was still sound a sleep!

I felt bad to go off and leave him to wake up in a strange place but I had to get home before dark. I'm hoping he didn't even realize he was in a different place when he did wake up. But the bed was very different and didn't look comfortable for him. Also, there is almost no chance whatsoever that he won't fall out of it within a short time. My niece and I are going to take his old, comfortable recliner over there in the morning (not the lift chair--he sure doesn't need that extra boost to help him to tumble out to the floor).

Oh, I got a pretty good idea of how he fell out of the hospital bed. This morning he was lying there with the head of the bed moderately elevated. The side rails on those beds are in two separate pieces, with a small gap in between--not big enough for him to fit through, but still, a place where he might get over. He was struggling persistently, trying to get up, and a couple of times he got both legs over the rails at that spot. I had to put his legs back on the bed or else he would have kept going.

OC: rest well friend. Tomorrow will have enough challenges. One day at a time. When do your children come for Christmas and can see their father? Blessings.

Back