2-2-2018 - Donuts on Friday

Noel

Reaction score
Hallelujah, it is Friday!!! Just 13 hours to go before I sleep and rest this weekend.:hug:

Wishing each of you a warm and pain free Friday. Hope your plans for the weekend are both relaxing and fun. If you watch the Super Bowl, I hope your team wins.

Blessings.:love:

Ahhh, Happy GROUNDHOG day, folks. (one of my fav movies, too! ) Will that ornery critter see his shadow today? Who knows, sunrise is still on the way, and even then, up here, takes a while if the sun will appear. Ha.

Have to run into town this a.m. to drop something off, and I sure do not want to go, as it is 16 below zero. They warned about the wind chill being 35 below, because it was pretty windy out. TV has been covering all kinds of stuff from Minneapolis because of Super Bowl, constant.

Well last night, suddenly there was a crawl across the top of the screen, around 7:30, warning of a civil emergency, and I thought uh, oh. (they have tons of extra "security" there) and there was nothing else, no break into the program, and evidently, it was soooo cold, it was a danger to the public. Civil emergency warnings are transmitted by the Weather Bureau. Weird. (I googled it).

Good morning everyone. It is dark, gloomy, and cold here at 7°. More snow is coming down, and I don't want to go out. I don't think my doctor would like me missing my appointment, though. Not feeling well today. I'm afraid I have a sinus infection and pneumonia again since all of the signs are there.

Noel, I hope you can really rest this weekend without having to be on the run constantly.

Poirot, I don't even want to think about the extremely cold temps you're having. BRR!

JS, stay warm!

Good morning. Sunny again here. Almost constant fire danger these days. Not much prospect for precipitation in the foreseeable future.

Lil0, it was late when I read Donuts last night, so in response to your question about head injuries and migraines. I never had a head injury. Birth control pills started my migraines when I first got married at age 18.

Squirrel, your pneumonia and Poirot's weather--there are no words for either. I'm just thankful you have good access to a doctor who knows how to treat you. Feel better soon.

Noel, you must be counting the hours and minutes down for sleep. Remember what the Little Engine That Could said, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

Yesterday I went to town and got a haircut, then I went to a friend's house for lunch and we visited for several hours. We were friends in high school, then didn't see each other much over the years but reconnected a couple of years ago on Facebook. I was surprised to learn she was living in the town where I shop. We got together about 1 1/2 year ago and had been trying again ever since, but I've been so tied down and she and her husband travel almost more than they stay home, so we hadn't been able to make it until yesterday. It was the first time I'd been able to go somewhere and relax and enjoy visiting without feeling pressure to get back home, in longer than I can remember. She has a big beautiful home but is very laid back. Her husband cooked hamburgers for us on the grill.

I was planning to go to Wal-Mart, since I haven't been in nearly a month, but after my hairdresser told me the school in that town was full of the flu and would close down if two more students drop out with it, I decided to steer clear. I'll continue to pick up what few things I need and can get at the smaller town's small grocery store, where I go to the nursing home. Going to see what else I can order from Amazon too.

I'd better get going. Back to the nursing home today. Poirot, I often think of the movie Groundhog Day when I get up and remember I'll be going back to the nursing home.

Poirot: now those temperatures are worthy of a warning for the elderly and those who live alone perhaps without heat and/or provisions. You are a brave woman to go out in those temperatures! Safe travels.

Squirrel: oh, my pneumonia, again?! I hurt for you Squirrely. That is a weakening, debilitating disease that does require a great deal of rest for recovery. Sorry you have to travel in those cold temperatures but most likely the doctor will be relieved to check up on you. Hope you can stay in all weekend just to heal.

JS: yes, send those 6 extra weeks of winter here, where we've had none so far. In the meantime, bundle up, woman.

Lil0: hope you are having another warm Spring-like day despite groundhog Phil's prediction.

OC: "I think I can, I think I can". :) I am delighted to read you spent time yesterday treating yourself to a haircut and a visit with an old friend. Relaxing and visiting is just what you deserve after all the stress you have shouldered these last months. I avoid Walmart too this time of year because so many people shop sick. Hope your weekend is a good one.

Break is over. Have a great morning everyone.

Morning all.

I had to head to the east part of town yesterday. I waited till after 6, figuring most of the golf crowd would be gone and those attending the after party would all be onsite, and off the road. Well, I was wrong. LOL. But hey, they were having fun and really wandering across the 6 lane street with a speed limit of 40, which is always a good idea. But when they do it in herds, it's really amusing.

Looking forward to tomorrow. We have beginner bonsai class so I will be working with people on new trees. It will be fun.

OC - your day at the friend's sounds like something you really needed to do.

RS - so sorry to hear about you becoming ill again.

Happy weekend.

Morning Everyone,

It's been busy so far for me. It's 6* here now and sunny, but the wind this morning is wicked and it feels much colder.

We had a great Girl Scout meeting last night, but the clean up procedures for the council office are a bit ridiculous. We spent an extra 45 minutes cleaning our room and the bathroom, then wandering the whole building to turn off lights, as the 2 other groups that were there left all their lights on.

Tonight Gena and I will be attending the Me & My Guy Dance for Girl Scouts. Hubby was supposed to go, but his new job runs later than the start time, so Gena chose me as his replacement. I feel honored that she'd want to go with mom. One year she took my brother.

RS - I'm so sorry you are sick again. Praying that you recover quickly.

Poirot - Brrr, stay warm

Noel - Glad you will be getting a break from work soon.

Robin - I hope you didn't run down the crazy golfers. Have fun at Bonsai class.

OC - I don't blame you in the least for skipping a Walmart run. This time of year I'd rather pay a little more to shop someplace with less germs. I'm glad you were able to spend time with a friend having relaxing visit.
JS - I'll take some snow too, at least then I could hide my frozen lawn. :rotfl:

Have a wonderful day everyone!

The street my driveway dumps out on is one solid, thick sheet of ice, for the reasons JS described. Tomorrow we are to get snow, and it is going to warm up to 4 above. LOLOL When I get out to the highway, that is clear and dry, but boy, that warm day, with snow, followed by icy rain during the night really did a number on the road here:)

When I was a kid, I landed in the hospital with double pneumonia. My mom had to call a taxi to get me to the hospital, running very high fever, hallucinating because of it, the taxi driver carried me down the 3 flights of stairs, which I remember, but do not remember being in the taxi or even getting to the hospital. I believe I have scars on my lungs from then, so every time a chest x-ray, doctors get concerned.

RS.....I know your job makes it difficult for you to stay away from situations where you can come in contacted with those nasty germs. Please take care, stay in, don't overdo, and obey your doc! LOL

Those road conditions some of you are experiencing sound too, too, dangerous!!! I can't imagine trying to deal with that.

I just got the results of the CT scan. Normal. No bleeding in my brain. Next test will be MRA to determine if I have blockage in the arteries in my neck or head. She didn't put a STAT order on this one, so it may not happen for a week or two.

I'm just immensely relieved to know my brain isn't bleeding!!!

Stay safe, everyone.

Manda: enjoy your night with Gena tonight. Sorry your husband's schedule prevents him from attending too. Stay warm in the cold and have a great weekend.

Lil0: great news! That should make your Friday happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel - last year they had the dance on a Saturday, which to me makes a lot more sense. But anyway, I took Gena to the salon and she got her hair done in a fancy braid, complete with pink spray and glitter. Dad had a great time with her, and mom enjoyed a quiet evening at home reading a book. This year, we signed up before he started his new job and we didn't think it was a good idea for him to try to get time off so soon. So I lose my reading time, but gain a fun night with Gena. :)

I'm just immensely relieved to know my brain isn't bleeding!!!

I bet, LiI0. The relief you felt when you got that news was like the weight of the entire world had to lift off your shoulders. Prayers answered.

YPG - perhaps the landlord found something, closed it off not thinking it was big enough for a cat to get into, not knowing just how determined cats can be. Or the other scary thought, someone thought it would be funny to put a cat in your vents. Ha ha. I'm not laughing, it's not funny.

So I'm here working and have Pandora streaming radio on. Got bored with the one station, so hey let's shuffle, thinking they'd shuffle within my "chosen" stations. Nope. They are shuffling from everywhere. Just had Dean Martin singing Baby it's Cold Outside. Earlier, I had the charming Mormon Tabernacle Choir Singing Silent Night. Noel, come on over, every now and then Christmas returns, while sitting in shorts in February because it's 75 already outside.:rotfl:

Just a few more hours and you have it licked Noel. Are you kidding, 87 degrees? Are you watching the Super Bowl?

Poirot - Wow, your temps are dropping. Stay warm and stay inside.

JS - This morning on the news they announced the groundhog has seen his shadow and our news anchors immediately said well that's the east coast, not the west coast. I can't remember the groundhog not seeing it's shadow, EVER!

RS - So sorry you're sick again. Hopefully you got it early enough it won't be as bad.

Lil0 - Fantastic news for you! That had to take a lot off your shoulders.

OC - You so deserved a day like yesterday. I hope you really relaxed and enjoyed it.

Robin - enjoy your class tomorrow. I envy you wearing shorts.

Manda - enjoy your date with Gena, I'm sure you will enjoy. My daughter has the Girl Scout meetings at her house from 5-6 on Wednesdays. All the parents start showing up for the girls until 6:20-7:00. She has an adult tap class she is supposed to be at 6:45 and has had to miss several because of it.

It is really foggy, cold, and rainy today. One of those days you had wished you could just stay home and look out all day long.

Tomorrow the hubby take Ember to Home Depot for their project and I can clean while he is gone. Super Bowl game we really don't have a team this year but will watch for the commercials!

Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan - Thankfully all the parents were on time, but the cleaning checklist for using the room at the Girl Scout Service Center was crazy. Some things I understand, like emptying the trash, wiping down the tables, sweeping the floor, and even turning off all the lights. But mopping, wiping out all the bathroom sinks, and counters etc., seemed extreme, when you'd think that these are all things that would be done by the crew that regularly cleans the building.

And honestly, the thing that annoyed me most was that one of the other troops that was meeting there got glitter glue all over the bathroom counters and didn't bother to even try to clean it up. They just left it all there for us. But we cleaned it up. I couldn't, in good conscience, leave the mess behind.

I feel bad that your daughter has to deal with such irresponsible parents. She's super kind to open her home to hold the meetings.

Lil0 - I'm so glad to hear that your CT scan came back as normal.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I deleted my post because I thought it was too rambling and kooky. I was a little embarrassed. lol.
Oh, we all ramble at times YPG. Sorry I missed your post and hope all is well.

Shan: we are skipping the Super Bowl for the first time in years in favor of my sister's home movies. They are from her trip to Europe last Fall while eating gelato. Try to stay dry in the rain and a good weekend.

Had to laugh at one piece of "Super Bowl" news. Justin Timberlake is evidently going to perform, and he was giving a little "glad to be here" talk to ........a group, don't know if they were reporters, or staff or what. But anyway, someone yelled out, asking which team he was rooting for.....and he replied "Go Pack"......I burst out laughing, that he was a fan of the Packers. Ha.

YPG...your neighbor's cat found a way into that ductwork, and all I can think of is, the way in was found, as Robin mentioned. Boy, I heard of mice, birds maybe, but a cat???? But unless it happens again, would not worry about it.

As to the VA, they are ........well, sometimes very helpful, and other times, not. I am sorry you are so miserable with the course of treatment they gave, which obviously did not work. Am guessing, they are putting you off as nothing they can do now until it wears off.

OC....at last a day to yourself. Fantastic. Lil0..trusting all goes well. I have needed a hearing test, since last year, and guess what, they finally were able to fit me in this April. Been a long wait.

Back