2/20/18 - Donuts and School

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Hi everybody. It is still drizzly here, but the temp is supposed to go up to 74*F today. Mother Nature sure is wacko this year.

I'm off to school in a few minutes. This one is an old Catholic elementary, and you have to go to the 3rd floor office to sign in with the nun. Then you have to go to the basement level where the preschool is. Then back to the 3rd floor to sign out when finished. I'm always beat by the time I get done there. Carrying the equipment up and down those steps is murder on this old body.

Wednesday through Friday will be a bit easier since I have to screen at kindergarten registration at the elementary school by work. No steps!!!!

Have a great day. Prayers continue for everyone.

Morning all.

Holy cow, RS, up 3 flights of stairs, down 3 flights, then back up, then down to get to your car. God bless ya.

It was 47 in my garage this morning. Now for most of you, that is a nice day at this time of year. But not for this warm weather rat. Luckily the car heater didn't take miles to kick in.

The office has the heat on. So remember the times I said they kept it at 74???? It's much much warmer today. The folks who come to the office on Tuesdays all have their desk fans on it's so blooming warm in here. I'm very thankful I didn't dress in layers other than a sweater.

Happy Tuesday.

Good Morning Everyone,

Well the rain started yesterday about 4:00 and didn't stop until about 8:00 this morning. It froze on contact with the ground. So needless to say, my yard/city looks like a giant skating rink. School was cancelled so I'm working from home and listening to come classic rock (The Beatles and Queen, so far) on YouTube, so I don't have to hear the kids shows that Gena is watching.

After a 4 day weekend, I didn't really want to start today working at home. And I found out that when I get in tomorrow, I'll have to start my day by moving to a new desk. :rolleyes: I knew it was coming, but I thought I'd have more time to downsize first.

RS - oh that school sounds crazy. I can't believe they'd let anyone wander the whole school (essentially) before signing into the office. With all the scary stuff going on in the country, it doesn't sound very safe.

Robin - that sure is cold for you. Glad they have the office warm for you.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning, all ~

I've heard the advice that when one is brushing the snow off the car windows, one should also brush the snow off the roof of the car. I've always figured that by the time I scrape, brush, sweep all the windows, I'll just let the stuff on the roof blow off on its own.

Here's the thing. If you've got, say, 4 inches of snow on the car roof and it has thawed a little and then re-frozen, it is no longer "snow". It looks like snow from a distance, but it is now a solid block of ice. As the car starts to get nice and toasty warm on the inside, that heat begins to warm up the car roof. Eventually then, that block of ice is no longer "one" with the car. It is a separate entity sitting on top of the car -- on a thin layer of liquid. At this point, if the car stops at an intersection, the block of ice does not. It continues its forward motion. Lesson learned. White out!!

Fortunately this happened before I got out on the highway. There was no other traffic around, and I was able to break the mass into manageable pieces and remove them from the car. The rest of the day went well. I got to the off-island event I mentioned a couple of days ago and had a great time visiting with old work-mates.

Wishing you all a SAFE day!!

Lil0 - I've never had the ice block thing happen. But if I don't brush off my roof, the back window is covered in snow about 5 minutes after pulling out of my driveway.

OC - yes, there are 50 million times more distractions at home and a laundry list of chores I could be doing instead of work. Not a good combination, that's for sure, which is why I turn on my YouTube playlists. The music helps me focus. I know it sounds more distracting, but for me it works. If you go visit your husband, I hope it's a nice visit and that he's in a good mood for you.

For those of you looking for spring, it's on the way. In the last two weeks or so, I've seen robins migrating and daffodils blooming. Those are a wonderful signs.

Still no word about the sale of this property, but the activity continues. Remmy doesn't understand why the shed in front of my house was moved or the phone company was here burying a line to the new dwelling, not to mention the trips taken to move stuff to the new home, lol.

The county sheriff came by yesterday to promote his reelection campaign and Remmy got too excited, lol. So it goes!

Take care everyone.

Wow the things you learn. I'd have never thought of the ice on the roof of a car. Makes sense. I do know the time I was training in Alaska, I drove from airport to hotel, walked into the hotel and checked in. The nice person behind the counter looked at my California drivers license and said, "Did you lock your car?" I replied, "Yes, it's in the parking lot and it's locked". He said, "Please go out and unlock your car, or you won't be able to get in it tomorrow, as the locking mechanisms will freeze overnight".

The group of trainers were from Georgia and California, areas not known for frozen weather. We unlocked our doors.

Manda - music helps me maintain focus too. I have Pandora playing now.

Back from school. I swear I spent more time going up and down stairs than screening kids, but not much you can do with the 120 year old school building. The nun buzzes us in the outside door after seeing us on camera. Then we go straight to her office so we're not wandering through the school needlessly. She's been there all 29 years that I've been screening there.

Amanda, I came back in to find Girl Scout cookies on my desk. I probably won't get to the post office until Saturday.

Called the mechanic about the check engine light. He told me to drop over after work so he can read the code. He'll order the parts then have me leave the car later this week.

I got online and looked at pictures of your island yesterday.
OC ~ I looked also, to see if I could find some good pics of my area. I live in Freeland. Good pics are hard to find!! I did find this one of the park that is about a mile from my house. It is where Falcon and I walk almost every day.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/freeland-park-freeland?select=OjoIoJhRSTcTzJE7dn45-g

My daughters launch their boats from that pier to go out into the harbor to drop or pull their crab pots.

RS - you're so sweet. No rush on sending the cookies. Ours won't arrive until March 2nd and we don't have another meeting until March 1st and then the 15th after that.

Just noticed it's started to rain again. Not exactly sure when as I'm more or less stuck at my computer working. But a girl needs to stretch her legs every now and then with a walk to check the mail, since it's about 10-15 steps to any other location in my house. :rolleyes:

Squirrel: here's a toast to no-steps Wed-Friday this week!!

Robin: glad your office is toasty warm today. I actually was chilly enough at 3am that I added an Indian blanket to my top sheet. Now the Hubs has 2 top sheets and a blanket. When I saw that, he melts my heart, he really does some times! It is nice outside. Hope you can enjoy lunch on the patio.

Manda: nice you do not have to drive on icy slick roads and you can listen to the Beatles at work. Hope your desk move tomorrow isn't as difficult as it sounds and you & Gena have a nice lunch time together today.

Lil0: good to hear you had a great visit yesterday with former work-mates and a safe drive. You certainly are a clever woman when it comes to keeping your vehicle moving. Wishing you a lovely day. Thanks for the picture of the Freeland area, gorgeous and GREEN!

JS: Indiana had that law too in the past and as far as I have heard, it has not been changed either.

OC: wishing you a lovely visit with your husband and a safe drive all the way. Glad to hear you feel a little bit better and hopefully are eating to regain strength. Great to hear from you today.

KT: just love how curious Remmy is and how she brightens anyone's day! Yes, I miss those wonderful signs of Spring: blue birds, daffodils and sometimes tulips poking their beautiful heads out of the garden. Thanks for the update on your moving scenario as we support you no matter where you live.

Well, my late break is over and babies need some loving. Wishing you who follow, Shan & Kat, a great day too.

Noel - my desk move will be a major drag. Lots of materials and books to move, plus some stuff that I had been planning to bring home and forgot to grab when I left Thursday. Gena had corn dogs for lunch, I had sloppy joe nachos. Not enough meat left for a sandwich so I put what I had on tortilla chips with cheese, warmed it up then topped with lettuce and tomatoes.

Happy baby cuddling. I'd love that part of your job, but emotionally don't think I could handle the sad parts.

Good afternoon, my son called this a.m. early, was laughing because.....well, he lives middle of state, got the freezing rain, his new puppy ran out when he opened the door, as he does every time, but surprise, he went flying splat....like Bambi did in the movie. Was too funny, my son said, poor puppy had no idea what the heck happened to all that lovely soft snow.

Another gloomy day here. Goldie and I got out before 6 to take our walk
before the rain.
We were able to go around three times. I ate breakfast after
we got back. Goldie was able to stay inside when I went to school today. So
far no thunderstorms here just rain.

rs, I guess you got your exercise for the whole week today. I'm glad the
outside door of the school is locked.

Lil0, I'm glad you didn't have a accident with the snow on your car.

OC, I hope you got to the nursing home today.

kt, nice seeing you post today. Do you have any idea where you might
move if/when you get your notice?

robin, Noel enjoy the cooler weather.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon and evening.

RS - 74, really? I was shocked and had to take a double take. So sorry you had to walk up and down and up down the 3 flights of stairs today. My daughter's Catholic elementary school was like that, 3 floors. It was an old, old building.

Robin - and you were at 47? Mother Nature is not being nice to any of us.

Manda - how nice you can work from home on days like today. Times have changed haven't they?

Lil0 - on this side of the state, it's a 350.00 fine, like JS mentioned, if we don't clean off our cars. It's dangerous in a lot of ways. Glad you made it to your gathering.

OC - so glad your feeling better. Stay warm and hopefully you get some of that rain you need.

KT - thank you so much for reminding me of the robins. As soon as we start seeing them, we know spring has sprung. It's exciting to me! Shows how boring my life is.

Noel - hug those babies for me, too! I hope you got to eat your lunch outside today in the cool weather.

It was minus something this morning and it's supposed to last through the weekend. We're getting closer to spring every day.

Have a great day.

Lil0, thanks for the picture. What a lovely place to be able to walk to each day! It looks a little like the lake about an hour from here but of course no crab pots in this part of the world.

Poirot, how funny about your son's pup. That would be a good video to see on Facebook. Poor little guy.

Shan, "minus something." Lol.

Kat, glad you beat the rain, and no thunderstorms--unless later.

Kt, Remmy sure has a lot to grab her attention these days. So do you. Robins and daffodils, such welcome signs of spring. We'll probably be seeing some things pop around here in the coming week.

Now what I'm really hopeful of seeing is some green grass coming through. We've been getting rain all afternoon. Not heavy and only about six or seven tenths so far but as soon as things warm up next week, this should get some green showing. Our forecast was to turn cold with possible freezing rain after midnight. So this morning when I left for the nursing home at 11:30, it was near 75* and cloudy. As I arrived in town at noon, it started raining. I stuck my hand out the window and yowzers! The cold north wind nearly froze it in place. It had dropped thirty degrees while I was driving to town! It caught everybody off guard and I wasn't dressed right for it but I did take a jacket, thank goodness! It's below freezing now and is still raining a bit, off and on. More possibilities through the rest of the week.

My husband was so surprised and overjoyed to see me. He couldn't stop talking about it throughout our lunch. I never thought I'd see him doing as well as he is right now. We had a good visit.

OC: joyous news that your husband is doing so well, you had a good visit, and he expressed his delight at your visit. Too bad your weather is so cold and wet. Weather everywhere in our country us whacked than last year. Hope better weather and a great tomorrow is coming your way.

OC, you're having my weather again. It was in the 60s today. We're in the
30's now, but not as cold as you. It's been raining here all day. We never got
thunderstorms. The ditch is a river now. There might be ice in the AM.

I'm glad you had a good visit with your husband. I hope the financial
part of where he's been staying is working out. I'll keep praying for
the both of you.

Hi Everybody! I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day. It's been brutal here as I have been really sick. It came on fast and really has been hard on my body. I went to work today and did not think I would make it through but I did. I am hoping the ills go away soon because my energetic self does not like being like this. I laid around most of yesterday and it was driving me nuts. :sick:

The weather has been on the warmer side today although quite foggy. Right now it's still quite foggy and 46*F, definitely a balmy February evening here.

Wishing all of you a terrific Tuesday evening. Sending each one of you so much happiness.

McSweetie - you may have the flu virus so hope you can have your doctor call in an anti-viral medication. Hugs and prayers.

Back