2/22/16 - Donuts & Washington's birthday

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning! When I was a kid we used to get a day off of school on Washington's birthday, and a half day on Lincoln's birthday. If they fell on a weekend, tough! But now there is President's Day instead, always! (Just like Columbus Day, Memorial Day......which now are always on some Monday, and enacted so Congress could have a 3 days holiday. LOL

Tonight is the Full Moon, (called Snow Moon, says Farmer's Almanac) and guarantee you, reflecting off the snow, very very bright indeed.

Cannot get over the lack of calendars this year. Our bank must have very few printed up, as they were out very quickly, and don't put them out, but keep them under the counters. None at all came in mail, as usually at least one comes. But I have even been unable to find them at WalMart (to buy), have looked several times. Maybe they changed where they are displayed??? This is the very first year in forever that we had no calendar. That is so weird.

Yesterday, after church, a couple friends asked me to go with them to see Risen.....but I did have to get home. However, we decided to go have "breakfast" at Perkins. Well, I ran to the supermarket first for the Sunday paper, and there were the Girl Scouts (little ones) selling cookies. I bought 3 boxes, and really, they were doing pretty well. Some man came and couldn't remember what he wanted, he said Sugar cookies, I said you mean Shortbreads? Yep. Plus the Thin Mints, of course.

Anyway, over then to Perkins and breakfast was Apple Caramel Pie with ice cream! LOL. They had already ordered and had Triple Berry pie & ice cream. Heck, they were doing it, so I did, too. Gosh, it was scrumptious!

Enjoy your day.

Good morning. Poirot, that pie has me drooling! I've always thought something like apple pie would be at least as healthy as pancakes and syrup so why not eat it more for breakfast? Pies are my favorite dessert. Hey, if I'd had your address I could have sent you a couple of calendars. I ended up with maybe three extras this year. Of course some of mine are southwest and cowboy ranch themes so probably wouldn't have fit with your surroundings anyway. I like calendars and put them up in a few rooms.

Overcast here with a slight chance of rain this afternoon. Greater chance tonight so I won't be able to see the snow moon. I did see it on Saturday though. It was pretty full then. I need to go get bread and some other things. Our ramp is finished so the husband has an option of going or staying home alone. It will be interesting trying out the ramp. It is very long--like a runway--so as gentle a slope as was possible but still I'm a little nervous until we've tried it.

Oh yes, Washington's birthday was pretty special for us as kids in school.

Thinking of Robin and Noel. Hoping improvement comes soon. Also hope the Squirrel is doing okay, and any others who are ailing.

Good morning. Yes, Washington's birthday. I, too, remember when we had both Washington's birthday and Lincoln's birthday as holidays. For many, many years this has been the day that I plant my garden peas. This year I did that on Lovo's birthday, so no pea-planting today.
We have been having such beautiful [tho' cool] weather that I am eager to get more gardening done.

I think I've got that bug that is going around. Tired, congested, scratchy throat, mild fever. I did absolutely nothing all day yesterday. Drinking lots of hot or warm liquids. We'll see how today goes.

I noticed the lack of calendars too. The one I had last year had the moon phases marked. The one I got this year does not -- so, I have to look that up. I have a friend that I always call on the full moon. :)

Wishing you all a good Monday.

Good Morning Everyone,

Barb, Pillsbury and Betty Crocker give out calendars every year, if you join their web pages, each month is a new recipe. I get both, 1 for at home and 1 for the office. :)

OC - as a Wisconsin girl myself, I fully appreciate cowboy and ranch themed calendars, as a matter of fact used to buy those for my room as a teen. The location shots are always lovely too. :rotfl:

If I come across any more free calendars, I'll let you ladies know and if you like I can mail them to you.

Had a rather relaxing weekend as both my daughter and husband decided to spend most of the weekend visiting my mother-in-law while I stayed home to do laundry and homework. I rarely get time to myself so I enjoyed the quiet. Gena and I had a wonderful time at the movie on Friday. I noticed things this time that I didn't catch the first time.

Have a wonderful Monday.

Good morning. I have not found calendars at Walmart, either. Ever since I upgraded Windows on my laptop last year, the calendar is almost useless for reminders, grrr. Maybe I could find one online and print it out.

Poirot, you know I was going to have to mention the full snow moon, lol. I won't be able to see it because of cloudy skies/possible thunderstorms. Watch for Jupiter to rise behind the moon and follow it all night, those of you with clear skies. February is the only month that doesn't always have a full moon, due to it being a short month. Just a little trivia, lol.

Watch for the zodiacal lights after dark in the west for the next few months (February, March, April, when the bright moon isn't out). It will look like a pyramid of light in the sky and is a view of our galaxy edgewise. You'll need dark skies and it's easier to see from southern locations.

Take care, folks.

Morning. Checking in. Now the sore throat and stuffy nose, along with cough, body aches and fever, have joined in on this fun filled illness.

The soup was good, as was the jello.

Maybe I can see the "snow" moon tonight. Not that I have snow, buut it should be pretty.

I remember getting Lincoln and Washington's birthdays off. Short month with lots of holidays. Very nice.

Noel, honey I hope you are doing better.

Happy Monday.

Hi everybody. I can't believe that I haven't posted for a few days. I hope Noel and Robinsnest are feeling better. The flu is felling people here like dominoes.

I went to the Fallen Firefighters wild game benefit dinner Saturday night even though I don't like much of what they make except the stewed squirrel, fried fish, and deer dishes. The deer kielbasa, deer sausage with peppers and onions in sauce, deer jerky, and deer chili are always delicious. The bison roasts are too spiced up for me, the beaver burgers are too greasy, the bison burgers too dry, and the rabbit fricassee has nasty sauce. Everyone said the turtle soup was too spicy hot this year so I didn't go near it. They have "normal" food (pasta, parsley potatoes, corn, salad) for people who won't eat the wild game.

Before the dinner, I went to my friend's house early to install her printer. It took me all of 4 minutes. (She had been trying to install it using a Windows 7 disc rather than letting Windows 10 find and download the proper driver like I told her.) I then disabled some of the Windows 10 commands that she was clicking on when she shouldn't be touching them. Her cognitive skills have definitely decreased due to her strokes. I hope there is not a computer crisis this week. :rolleyes:

Poirot - The pictures from the cross country ski race were very nice.

Poirot & kt - I have 2 extra calendars. Let me know if you want me to mail them.

Another nice day here, but cooler than it has been.

I have extra calendars if anyone needs one. I have so many I put two
in my kitchen and one in the bathroom. I get calendars from places
I donate to. Dollar General has calendars at a less price than Walmart.
Maybe they still have some leftover.

I hope everyone starts feeling better.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.

Good afternoon everyone. Hope all the sickies are feeling better.

Seems early spring is on its way. Sunny skies and 50F, and all the crocuses are blooming. Just beautiful. Skipped out on the gym today and opted to sleep in. Some plumbers have been coming over on the weekend and also today to fix issues with a leak and rip out some old carpet. I had to be home anyways for when they arrived. And now I'm at school.

RS, I'm laughing about all the poorly-cooked meals at that game dinner! At least they had some stuff you liked!

Hope all of you have a nice day.

Daysd - The volunteers fed over 1200 people in one sitting so I don't complain to them about the food that is bad. The benefit was started after a friend of mine, the assistant chief at that Ohio fire department, passed away from a heart attack while on his way to fight a fire. This is also the fire department where most of my red hat ladies belong to the auxiliary, and they run the raffles at the dinner.

The firefighters also had drawings for 200 raffle baskets, 2 chest freezers with certificates for $150 of beef from a butcher, and a 60" smart LED TV. While that was going on, they also sold raffle tickets for 20 different hand guns and hunting rifles. I didn't win anything, but my friend's nephew won a Smith & Wesson .44 long rifle. That's a nice prize for his investment in a $5 ticket. I really wanted to win the pink or camo Smith & Wesson .38 special to go with the one I have with the carved rosewood grip, but the person with the ticket numbers before mine won both.

Usually I get calendars in the mail, my ins. agent always would send one, the bank, the Co Op, Farmers' Almanac, Veterans' Assoc/. etc/etc But the last few years it has really dwindled, but this is the first year I did not get any. I bought a date book at WalMart....no calendars in that section at all (office).
Anyway, if you really have 1 or 2 to spare, I would appreciate it.(P.M. me) It is nearly March and I cannot find any calendars! (have not tried the card shop....never saw any there before, but really was not looking. )
RS....I will admit that those wild life selections would not interest me. But then, my hubby used to hunt a lot, so I have had to prepare duck, goose, wild boar, deer, grouse, pheasant.....in the past....and it is not my thing at all. My son sometimes gives us venison sausage, or hamburger, which is not bad, since it is always mixed with something else....but that is all. He knows better than to offer anything else. LOL So, RS, kudos to you. And...I would definitely support, work, etc. for any sort of event that would benefit firefighters or police. Bless them all.

Back