4/11/17 - Donuts & return of Ol Man Winter

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning all, grey skies, snow covered ground, roof, etc. Ol Man is playing April Fool a bit late, huh? At least that nasty wind died down. Yesterday, had to run into town, as hubby was getting something fixed on his truck, and did not want to have to sit there for 2 hrs. So I had to go in, pick him up......and then????? What??? Went to the store for a few things, He stood at the entrance, complained of no benches so he could sit. No idea WHY he wanted me to come get him. Or what he thought would be the advantage.

Now, on Thursday, he wants to take my son's vehicle in for a recall repair, says I have to pick him up.........lol, I have a dr. appt, so does my son, I have a few other errands as well. Told him that I did not call for anyone to come for me when I waited 3 1/2 hrs. at dr. office last week. (this time is gonna be a quick visit. Too bad he doesn't like to read......as I do. Grrrr. But that snow/rain/wind yesterday made things icy and a bit nasty in places.

We are to get up to 40 today, so maybe will lose the snow. Have a good one.

Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful day so far, but monsoon rains are to be here by noon.
rainy-cloud-smiley-emoticon.gif

I just have a short (3/4 mile) drive to my senior living center in a bit. This is an easy place to work because all of the people are very nice.

Well, I've officially become a horrible person. I felt good because someone killed himself. This wasn't just some normal nice person, but a monster. He raped a then 10 year old girl. Then in March of 2016, very early on the morning that she was to testify against him, he burned down the house killing her and her grandparents. The judge ruled this year that he couldn't get a "fair and impartial" trial in Mahoning County, Ohio. A jury was to be chosen from Portage County. Yesterday, most of the prospective jurors were being eliminated for "bias". When leaving the courtroom, the monster, who wouldn't plead guilty or take a plea deal, jumped over the railing on the fourth floor of the Mahoning County Courthouse. My first thought was "You could rape an innocent child, but were scared the other prisoners would do the same thing to you". My second thought was "You just saved the tax payers a whole lot of money".

Poroit, I feel for you. I wouldn't want to drive as far as you do to town and be expected to make 2 round trips because someone wouldn't wait for their vehicle to be worked on. Hubby needs to find something to do.

Last edited:
Morning all.

That's a terrible man, and I'm not sorry he chose that way to end his life. I had not heard that news. I am still somewhat shocked about the man dragged off the United Airlines plane. That's getting more news than an 8 year old special-needs child getting shot "accidentally" in his classroom when his teacher's estranged husband came in and killed her and then himself. I guess we are more used to gun violence in the classroom than adults behaving poorly. Sad state of affairs.

Today is the drive into the office day, so I'll check back later.

Have a good Tuesday.

Good morning Everyone

Poirot - your hubby sounds like mine, with the exception that mine thinks the whole family should sit at the shop while his car is worked on so he doesn't have to be lonely, because sitting at the car dealership with a 7 year old is fun. :sarcasm:

RS - I guess I'm with you in the horrible people club. That guy took what he thought would be the easy way out, only to find himself burning for eternity. Good riddance.

Robin - those poor kids in California. I feel so bad for them all. What a truly horrible thing for them to witness, it breaks my heart. And that poor little angel who died. :cry:

Last night was fairly uneventful. Tonight, I believe I'll be taking Gena to buy new sneakers again. She managed to wear holes through the shoes by her baby toes, so when it rains she ends up with wet feet. She's trying desperately to convince me she can just wear her flip flops, with no luck considering we have snow in the forecast for today. I also have to try to do my homework and get her through the shower. Should be interesting that's for sure.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good morning. Your stories of husbands who won't wait at the car shop are cracking me up! Sorry, but that is too funny, lol.

Good riddance to the perv, RS. I'm with you!

It's supposed to be warm, but cloudy this afternoon. Hopefully I can sit outside longer without being in full sun.

I think Remmy is beginning to feel neglected when I stare at my computer screen and talk about what April the giraffe might be thinking, lol. April must still be waiting for her ship to come in. Someone hung another "boat bumper" (that's what those things look like to me) in her stall this morning, though it didn't last long. It was broken apart and on the floor the next time I looked. Maybe they were trying to trick her into thinking she was on that boat? LOL

Take care, everyone.

Sorry to be so late today. Extremely busy at work and home. Surprise company arriving Thursday and between family, work, baking for classroom parties plus cleaning/laundry/meal prepping there is barely time to sleep. I made the mistake of sitting down last night and dozed right off to sleep. Take care everyone.

Have to say that the constant pounding on the roof would not let anyone sleep. And then every now and then they drop a heavy bundle of shingles, and BOOM, the whole house shakes. Has given me a headache. And then they are walking around, and tossing stuff off the roof, it is a danger to try and go out the door!

Trust everyone is having a much better day. :)

Cloudy day here so I decided to stay in and get my Federal tax return done.
All I have to do now is fill out forms in ink since pencil copies have been
rechecked. I have never sent my tax return in so late before.

I'm still confused about the man on United. What I've read so far four people
had to leave so employees could travel. I thought employees who didn't pay
(maybe they did) had to wait until paying customers went first and flew if
there was room for them.

rs, I haven't heard the story about the man before. Interesting he waited
so long to do that.

Poirot, I guess taking your hubby to doctor not a good idea.

manda, good luck on finding shoes for Gena and you get home early.

Noel, enjoy your surprise company. At least, they told you they were coming
and not just drop in

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Yes, they were going to St. Louis, I think, as if they did not get there, some flight was going to be cancelled. Now I have no idea if the next bit is fake news or real, but supposedly that passenger was found to be someone who traded drugs for sex...

The shooting the the CA classroom....the man & wife just got married in January! No idea what happened to cause him to do what he did.

I have not read of that guy in Ohio so far,

Thanks, JS that makes a little more sense since the employees had to get somewhere
to fly another plane. Maybe they should have asked people who wanted to volunteer
before they got on the plane unless something came up at the last minute and too late
to do that.

It isn't uncommon for airlines to have to "bump" people off. A lot of people cancel at the last minute so airlines routinely overbook, in order not to end up with a bunch of empty seats. It is pretty standard procedure, from what I understand. When they come up short on seats, they first ask for volunteers to take a later flight, with pay.

As in this United case, when they can't get any volunteers they have to draw names randomly and ask them to leave the plane. (They pay them and put them up in a hotel, if it is overnight). In this case, nobody would volunteer so the out-of-control man was one of four who were drawn to give up their spots. He became belligerent and was removed from the plane, but somehow he managed to sneak back on and had to be forcibly removed.

I heard another airline pilot explaining that in today's post 911 world, anyone who becomes belligerent can be removed from a plane because if they do that while you are still on the ground, you don't know what they might do, once in the air.

I also heard about that passenger's history of trading for sex, and that he has been treated for anger management in the past. Maybe United could have handled the whole thing better, but I'm sorry, I don't have sympathy for people who throw such fits in public places. He acted as though he was being dragged off for execution!

Heya Everybody! :) I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day!

I have a different opinion about what happened on the United Flight. I think it is disgusting how the staff at United Airlines handled the situation, and although the passenger could have handled himself differently, (he had patients to see and that might explain his urgency and his belligerent behaviour) I can not imagine being kicked out of an airplane because of an overbook. It was not the passenger's fault that the flight was overbooked in the first place and I do not think that the passengers should have to compensate for such a matter if it is to happen.

I think that all airlines should provide a hefty monetary incentive to passengers if it is overbooked. For example, make the compensation for a passenger 4x the original cost of the flight. This would add more incentive for some to willingly leave their seat and take a later flight. Dragging people out of their seat is inhuman, no matter how you slice it. No one deserves to be treated this way, two wrongs do not make a right.

Still it was overcrowded when the four employees needed to take the flight out. I think the airline needs to come up with a solution when this problem does come up.

True, I have been on flights where volunteers were asked to give up their seats, In all cases they were put on other flights, some within an hour, once to a different airport, but in all cases were given additional $$$$$.

I have to say, tho, that usually crews, upon arrival, are sent back to the original city on another flight. No idea what happened in this case. However, the passengers were offered $800 in addition to free flight exchange, and any necessary lodging expenditures.

Well, the roof crew seems to have put the antenna back up, and it seems to be working. That is amazing. Hey, I just might get to watch the show tomorrow. If there is not problems. I guess they must have to remove antennas a lot, so evidently have someone (and the equipment) to put it all back. Yayyyyy.

Oh goodie, Poirot, that is surprising and very nice that the roofers were able to set up your antenna!

Sweetie, and anyone else, I'm sorry if my comments were offensive. It would be a rotten thing to have to give up one's seat on a plane involuntarily, even with monetary compensation. I guess I felt more sorry for the other three, unnamed and not-shown, people who had to give up their seats than I did for this man because I am so tired of seeing people on the screen day after day who resist, revolt, and throw fits about everything imaginable. I start to wonder why people can't work through their problems anymore without making spectacles of themselves.

With that said, I do agree that the airline needs to find a solution to this kind of problem. The way I heard this explained was that they'd just gotten through having some kind of delay where a lot of people had to sit in the airport for hours and hours. They were looking at the same kind of situation if they didn't get those four employees where they needed them right away. But still, it played out in a most unsatisfactory way and I don't doubt it will end up being a very costly mistake for them before it's over. If they had offered several times the amount they did ($800, I think), they probably could have gotten four people to volunteer to give up their seats and it wouldn't have cost them a fraction of what they will end up paying in legal fees and settlements over this, not to mention loss in business over the visual impact of what happened.

I don't think that I could tolerate commercial flying, ever again. Appears to now be much worse than taking a Greyhound bus. They need to un-sardine those planes, and increase fares to equalize the subsequent loss.

I was shocked to see how narrow the aisle down which that man was being dragged was! I wonder if any of the passengers felt an impulse to stick out a foot? :eek:

Back