4/12/18 - Donuts & stormy weather

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning....Guess we are gonna get some of everything mother nature can come up with in the next few days, RAIN....yes, it rained a bit during the night, snow, sleet, rain & snow mixed, freezing rain, snow, wind, and generally.......stay INSIDE weather. And mind you, am talking, Thurs., Fri., Sat., Sunday. My daughter called because her weather alarm went off with the storm warning..........and she is in GEORGIA! Her warning system is in case folks planning to travel, so gives warnings for wherever in the country. She could not believe we are having ANOTHER STORM, this late.

Will be getting to the store today, probably like a thousand others, since I will not be going out at all for 3-4 days.

Wishing you all much better days, weather wise.

By the way, it is supposed to be worse south of here, so Mandy, please watch the reports if you are going to travel this weekend. (However, the storms are mostly west side of the state, stretching down to Minneapolis area)

Hoo boy!! Freezing rain overnight, slippery roads, slippery sidewalks, and a foggy mistiness in the air is what's happening in Calgary. I had planned to drive to the train station this morning so I could straight to the gym after work today but I took one look at my vehicle and knew that the ice on it was so thick and dense that it would've taken me the same amount of time scraping hard as it would for me to just walk to the station. So I walked and will let the sun melt it having it ready for me when I get home.

Walking through the +15s today was walking through an ocean of hockey jerseys. Today is the first funeral of the bus crash victims and sadly the number of victims that lost their life went up to 16 yesterday. The physical therapist for the hockey team passed away. Pretty amazing to see so many hockey teams being represented from NHL to minor hockey leagues to people wearing caps with their hockey team on it. So neat. The Calgary Tower has been lit up green in honour too.

Well after 4 days back to work, it's time for a break. Actually tomorrow is my regular Friday off so coming back from holidays to a 4 day work week worked out well. Ha ha!!

Manada - I echo Poirot's comments. Please travel safe.

RS - I better be reading later today that you rested. Don't make me come down.

Hello from the land of perpetual heat. When I came home yesterday it was 89F in our house. One of the kiddos tried to make it cooler but succeeded in raising the threshold for the A/C to turn on. It was miserable! Outside it was 93F with a breeze, so guess where we stayed? Today it should be a lovely mid-80 and I rejoice.

As for all of you, Poirot, Muzza, Manda, Squirrel with your snow, winds, rain, hail stay strong. Oh if only we could ship weather by the truckload! I thought of you all yesterday in the house thinking a little free heat would be a good thing for each of you. This wacky weather eventually has to turn warmer if you outlast it!

We are celebrating the birthday of a family friend who we nicknamed "Perky". He is from Sweden, a ballet dancer in his youth, and the most cheerful of man with a great sense of humor. Kiddos call him "Elf Perky" because he loves Christmas too so I am making an Elf cake. We are going to watch Elf at his request too. Friends are such a lasting blessing in our short lives.

Stay safe and as warm as possible all of you in wicked weathers pathway. Thinking of you!

Morning Everyone,

Sadly, travel for our family will be inevitable this weekend. My father-in-law passed away last night. My brother-in-law, in an effort to reduce expenses, is trying to plan the funeral for either Saturday or Sunday to avoid the need for embalming, as my father-in-law's wish was to be cremated. At this time, I don't know the specifics of where the funeral will be, so we may have to travel some.

My husband and Gena are both heartbroken. And both are staying home today as we just learned the news this morning. I came to work, to give them time to grieve together.

Poirot - & Muzz, please stay safe in the bad weather

Noel - oh that heat sounds miserable and wonderful at the same time. Living in the land of perpetual snow and road construction. Enjoy your friends birthday.

Manda: sending you my deepest sympathies and prayers. You are so strong to go to work and giving Dad & Gena time to bond more deeply in this loss. May angels surround you during your travels this weekend. Sadly, one thing we never have to teach our children about is loss, life does that whether we choose it or not. Hugs!

Oh Manda, I'm so sorry to hear the change in plans. Did your husband get to see his dad or was the travel too far? At least now your father-in-law is at peace. Which can help only somewhat as you have to deal with grief and loss. Stay safe this weekend.

Looking forward to the weekend. Get to work the early shift tomorrow. Have a meeting with my boss and my boss's boss (my super boss) today. This isn't good. No idea what it is about. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Time to move the sleeping hound and head to work.

Thanks Noel, JS, & Robin.

Sadly no, my husband never did make it down to visit, which is making him feel even worse. He said this morning that he knew even before his sister called, because he had dreams all night about his mom and dad, and was sick to his stomach all night. I fell asleep snuggling with Gena so I had no idea he was so restless last night.

A quick post since I still have more folks coming in for appointments. We went from snow yesterday to mid 60s with rain all day. YUCK! At least I don't have to go back out in it except to go home from work later.

WOOHOOHOO! The race for Lord Stanley's Cup has begun. (Like the Super Bowl trophy but for hockey). The Pittsburgh Penguins wiped the Philadelphia Flyers off the ice last night with 7 goals to 0.

Amanda, I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers continue for your family.

Muzza - I definitely got some sleep last night. I fell asleep on the couch around 7:30. Woke up with the medicine alarm at 11:00 pm, and then slept straight through until 5:00 am this morning.

robinsnest - I'm sorry that happened. I was hoping you were getting a raise instead.

:eek::eek: Robin!! I am so sorry this has happened to you. One thing is certain, any company you choose will benefit from you working for them. :hug:

Squirrel - glad you rested and slept last night. Hope your appointments go well and you have a good night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manda, so sorry for your loss and that your husband was not able to make it in time. I hope you all come together.

RS - Glad you got some sleep and feeling a bit better. Secretly, I was hoping I would have to come down there!! I haven't been watching to see who is making it into the playoffs but if a Canadian team is in and we're playing against your team, let the betting begin!! LOL!

Robin - I am so sorry to hear your news.That sucks big time and Noel is right, any company should be so lucky to snag you up.

Noel, it is snowing again here. OH.....MY......GOD.......I'm done embracing winter. I'm finished with winter. I want to go camping!!!!! LOL!!

RS - ... Secretly, I was hoping I would have to come down there!! I haven't been watching to see who is making it into the playoffs but if a Canadian team is in and we're playing against your team, let the betting begin!! LOL!

:):):):):)

Toronto is playing at Boston tonight. Winnipeg beat Minnesota last night 3 to 2. Game 2 is Friday at Winnipeg.

Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver didn't make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Poirot & Muzz - I truly feel for you. Seems winter is not leaving your areas anytime soon. Muzz, freezing rain is the worst. I hate it.

Noel - 89 in your house? My, I think I would take to running through the sprinkler. LOL! I sure hope you came up with a cold dinner and then when you said you were making a cake, I thought, oh no. I bet you truly hate to leave work where it is cool.

Manda - so sorry for your loss. Hopefully the weather will stay calm enough you can get to where you need to go.

Robin - I'm so sorry about your job. It seems like you were always giving so much extra time and were always there for them.

Pouring down rain here and supposed to be that way for the next couple of days. I hope at least 1 day over the weekend we can get outside.

Have a good day.

Good afternoon all. It's been a busy few months. We did make it to Disney World and Universal and had a great time. We did Magic Kingdom and Epcot and two days at Universal. The girls loved it. They want to go back to Florida but both Hubby and I know it will be quite a while before we're ready for another road trip.

Disney1.jpg

Last week and the first two days of this week, their school has been closed because of the teacher walkouts. On Monday, the girls and I went to the State Capitol to participate in the walkout. That day was the busiest day so far of the walkout, with an estimated 50,000 people showing up. We didn't even attempt to get inside the building to talk to any of the legislators, but spent a couple of hours outside with the crowd and ran into Annabelle's teacher and a few friends of mine there. They had seen some of the protest signs on the news and wanted to make signs using Hamilton lyrics.

walkout1.jpg

Their school started back yesterday and state testing started today. A lot of schools are trying to find ways to still do testing or just going back to class and sending delegations of teachers. But for now, the girls are back to a normal routine, mostly. We had to add ten minutes to the beginning and ten minutes to the end of the school day and add three days to our school calendar. But we still are set to be out by mid-May.

I need to do some catching up on Donuts, but did read a few days worth so far.

Robin and Manda, you both are in my thoughts and prayers.

All those still in winter weather, stay safe and warm.

@Robin.......what wretched, unappreciative bosses........all your overtime, hard work. Well, better things are coming! YOU, girl, are a huge asset to any employer.

Mandy........Am truly sorry for the loss to your family, sympathize with what your hubby is feeling now, It is hard to lose a parent, no matter how long they have been ill. Prayers for you all, as you gather together. God Bless.

Squirrelly, glad you were able to catch up on the rest.....you needed it badly.

Rocky, so good to see you again, glad the Disney World trip was so good. Been a while since I was there, so know lots of changes since I last visited.

Today was "practice" tornado warning day, and gotta say, with our storm warnings out, the forecasts, when they broke in with tornado warnings......really shook you up, til they finally noted it was "practice".

Another beautiful day here. It got to the 80s. Last nice day until next week.
Stormy weather Friday and in the 40s over the weekend. I weeded and
put down another bag of mulch today.

manda, sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

robin, sorry to hear you lost your job. I hope you got a severance package. Good
luck finding another one.

Poirot, I can't believe you're getting another winter storm.

Muzzaman, sad to read another person died after the bus accident.

Noel, enjoy the birthday party. It sounds like a fun one.

I hope everyone will try to have a restful and peaceful evening.

Back