4/13/18 - Donuts and birthdays

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope everyone celebrating today will have a wonderful birthday.

8e2e922608c3229703ea2b82d8ff6ba3--th-anniversary-parties-th-birthday-party.jpg

So many birthdays today. Happy Birthday to you all!!

upload_2018-4-13_8-32-36.jpeg

I truly wish you all a day full of sunshine and happiness.

Raining & sleeting by me already, which I guess is fitting, as my brother-in-law arranged for the funeral to be this afternoon already. So much for giving people to make travel plans or other arrangements. My father-in-law's brothers don't even have time to try to get flights in, as they'd be coming in from Virginia and Missouri. It makes me sad.

Stay safe on this Spooky Friday the 13th!

Good morning. Manda, that is sad. It's hard enough to lay someone to rest under the best of circumstances. Makes it harder when the situation is less than desirable, even if your brother-in-law probably had reasons for doing it the way he did. I hope the weather doesn't cause any serious problems for you.

Odd to see so many birthdays in one day. Wishing all of you a good one. I didn't even realize it was Friday 13th.

Our wind continues, after roaring all night. Now it is to be from the west today, bringing dust with it. Gusting to 47 mph. Noel and Robin would feel at home here on this day.

JS - I know for sure the rush is for financial reasons. My father-in-law's wishes were to be cremated so by rushing the service they can skip the expense of the embalming and he'll be cremated as soon as the service is over. I'm so frustrated as there hasn't even been an obituary published in the paper yet. He only died 36 hours ago as of right this minute as I'm typing.

Up here, someone can be cremated immediately, ashes kept by family member until a memorial service of some kind......several weeks/months later. Depending on ability of all family to arrange to get away at same time. When my cousin passed away, in Illinois, NO funeral or service, but the at home daughter sent some ashes to both sisters who lived in Calif. and in Tenn.

However, when my mother-in-law passed away, (Illinois) yes, brother-in-law arranged that her service was nearly immediate, within next day or two, and it was very difficult for us to get away, business/children, with such short notice. She passed on Thurs., funeral was Sat. And the other brothers also lived out of state. Same for them.

Manda: your frustration is understandable and it is very sad his brothers cannot attend the services. That makes grieving take longer for most people. Here, as in some cities, there is a daily fee for 'holding' the cremated ashes until a service is arranged. That means people pick them up the night or day after they died and keep them in their homes until memorial services. It is cheaper but much more stressful. You are in my thoughts & prayers.

OC: last night we had gusts 40=60mph on the west side where I life. There are new palm branches, bark shavings, and other assorted trash all over my yard, porch and patio again. I am not complaining, because today it is going to be 79-80 as our high. Then we are back in the 90's but it was so nice to wake up and not be sweating like a fool at 4am.

JS: I have already talked to my Hubs and brother about how to avoid the high costs of funerals. People are so distraught at that time they are easily preyed upon financially. A church memorial service is free -- donation -- and that is more than enough for my family to remember me.

Robin: hope you are sleeping in, having a PJ day, cuddling with Mr Gus and looking forward to a brighter future in a new position at a better company!

Late morning/early afternoon all. I did wake up at the normal time but today I said {word not allowed on this board} it, and turned the alarm off and went back to sleep!

I'm off to Social Security to see if I can start claiming my ex's now till I turn the required 66 years old, as I am older than 62. At this point, knowing any money will be coming in is helpful. Then off to the unemployment folks. But first I have to find them. I'm such a newbie about this. (actually I think that is a good thing)

Listening to the teachers in AZ having to justify that they need more money is just insane as I read about what we pay adult children to play sports. Priorities, people.

spring cake.JPG

Happy Birthday to all our April 13th birthday celebrators.

Robin: sounds like you started your day off perfectly! More rest, more sleep before a new adventure is smart. Wishing you the best with social security, unemployment, etc. Oh, and the beloved resume updating. You can actually treat yourself to lunch today and take your time on projects.:)

I'm still waiting for the rain, that was supposed to start before now. I went to town
today. I returned some items and bought the shoes I like. I went to another
shoe store a couple of weeks ago and bought shoes I wasn't happy with.
I took those shoes with me today and returned them.

manda, yesterday I found out my neighbor died on Easter. I thought he did since
hospice picked up stuff on following Monday. His daughter told me he didn't want
anything special so he was cremated. There wasn't an obit in the paper. I was planning
to go to the service, but I'm assuming there wasn't one. I wonder if his wife has
him next to the dog and cat? They had both of them cremated.

OC, it's been windy here, but not as much as you've had.

robin, you're right. Adult children get paid too much for playing sports. Even the
coaches who are at colleges.

I hope everyone stays safe this weekend with the wacky weather. North is getting
blizzard and south severe storms.

Yes, JS is right. When I was laid off, everything was done online. In fact, the business where I worked closed and several people didn't have computers and showed up at the unemployment office and they were turned away. We have had several people retire here and all their paperwork for Social Security was done online too. It is so much easier that way. Good luck, Robin.

Manda - I sure hope your family can make it to the funeral just for closure if nothing else. Good luck.

OC - be careful in that wind. It could blow you away.

Noel - what a mess in your yard from those darn palm trees (I would die to have one though). I remember my mom & mad had an olive tree in their backyard in Yuma and it was horribly messy. I just couldn't believe how much junk would come from that tree in a wind storm.

Another not so pretty day, but at least no snow in the forecast! Stay warm for those in the path of this awful weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan - I have no idea who will all be able to attend. I know my household will be there, as well as my sister-in-law and her husband. As for the rest, who knows? We're even having a hard time reaching all of my stepsons. The youngest of the boys never returns phone calls or texts. I finally just bluntly told him that grandpa died and the funeral is at 4. I apologized for telling him that way, and said we wanted to tell him over the phone, but he doesn't answer or call back.

They could have had him cremated first and had the memorial later. I don't know why they didn't do it that way. My stepdad's dad's memorial was done that way.

Noel - sorry about the mess from the wind.

Robin - glad you are taking some time for yourself today.

Kat - how sad for your neighbor to feel so alone that they don't even want a memorial.

A very belated happy birthday to all. I was busy with this and that (shopping, walking the beagle, etc., and didn't get to the board until now. I'm sorry to hear about the funeral. When my mother and mother-n-law died, they had outlived all their friends and siblings, so there was nobody to mourn except the small immediate family. As a result, we kept things quick and simple. Finally, warm weather finally arrived here today -- no more sleet, slush, snow, and chilly temperatures. It felt strange to be wearing a light jacket.

Manda, your family has been on my mind all afternoon. I hope things went as well as possible.

Wondering how things went for you too, Robin.

Kat, I hope you don't get any dangerous storms. I saw something on the muted screen at the nursing home that looked like the warnings of this afternoon in east Texas might be heading your way.

We were in the upper 80s* today. Wind advisories, fire warnings, sky brown with dust. We'll be 25 degrees cooler tomorrow, only reaching 61* but the winds will continue. I plan to stay home tomorrow.

Oklahoma is having fires. A bunch of homes have already been lost.

Back