4/20/24 - Donuts & that white stuff is not sugar

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ol Man Winter faked us out, snuck back in, bringing along that those white flakes (snow) and really cold temps. No, not enough snow to have to shovel, just to turn the roofs and grass white. My brand new patio chairs are covered, haven't even sat in them yet. Oh, it will melt, I know, just hated seeing it this a.m. Heck, it is 29 ° right now,......Sunday is to be upper 50s!

I hear you, Poirot. We've had roller coaster weather but we've pushed it out east and I think I can safely say, winter is over. The sun is shining and plan to rake the back lawn, clean up last year's leaves and kick old man winters assets outta here.
Have a good day everyone.

Well, thanks, Muzza.......now I know where this came from......LOL. Yep, I am east of you...........if this all doesn't just evaporate before heading further east, .......oh it has to, cannot envision PA, NY with snow on April 29.........Maybe the Great Lakes will make it all just rain!
Still really cloudy and chilly out there. Why can't California send us some w a r m.........Ahhhh, come summer will probably be complaining...Mother Nature loves to tease........

Last edited:
Now I am really laughing.........there is no sun out, still cloudy, and yet.......it all melted, yes, every last white flake is gone. And yet, the temp says 34!!! Boy, that sure doesn't happen in January! Mother Nature loves playing games with us. Enjoy your day, whatever the plans. Smile, have fun!

Poirot, what a mess! I guess your ground and other surfaces are warmer now than they would be in January so the non-sugar stuff can't hold on as long. I hope Muzz sends his warmer weather and sunshine on to you soon.

After running in the 80s*, near 90* for the past week, we are now at 45* and won't get a lot warmer today. It's raining right now with a chilly north wind. Thunder rumbling on and on. But nothing like 3:00 o'clock this morning, when the lightning got downright creepy and seemed as though it would never end. One horrifying crack after another went on and on. I have a little fan next to my bed and it's plugged into one of those safety outlets that clicks off when there is moisture around (my bathroom shower is on the opposite side of that wall). The fan kept going off and I'd get up and reactivate the outlet. Finally decided I should probably leave it off until things settled down. Got up and unplugged my internet device and went into another room away from windows. Not an easy spot to find in this little house. When my sister and I were little kids a window at the head of our bed did break and shatter with a loud clap of lightning/thunder, in this house. I haven't forgotten.

Robin, from your last post yesterday about Vinnie.....I was sitting here this morning looking at the endless expanse of pastures and fields in every direction around me, with no houses or signs of people in sight and I got to thinking about Vinnie and wondering what he would do if he were turned loose in these surroundings. Well I know what he would have done initially because Earl the Squirrel and a cottontail rabbit were out there eating. But it wouldn't have taken him long to make them disappear.

Whoa, it was just raining lightly but now coming down hard. Sounds like hail but it is only rain so far.

Good Saturday morning..... we are cold and perhaps will be rainy today.... North West Kansas won't rise much above 33 today... and they will have a mixture of snow and rain.... If we get anything I'm guessing it will be mist..... but come Monday we should be in the 70's and warming up..... I'm hoping the weather people are correct..... but not too concerned if they are way off by a day or two... for summer will be here and I'll wonder if I'll ever feel cool again.....

small errands today..... fewer to do on Sunday....

Edit to respond to OC.... Richard's sister has a farm.... Vinnie took off running like a fool the first time I let him off leash....dashing left then right just pure joy in running.... he came to a sudden stop looked around I wasn't there and in a panic he looked for me and came dashing back..... so he'd take off after Earl and maybe return.....He has no survival skills to speak of.. yesterday his ball went off the concrete patio and sort of under the fence he dug for it and got, now prepare yourself.... MUD on his foot.... he limped around on 3 legs till I was able to get the mud off his foot.... pitiful I tell you he is pitiful....

Last edited:
It's cloudy, damp and the high in the 60s today. The sun should be out tomorrow.

I have my Sat errands done. I'll be inside today because it isn't a nice day. I worked on
my cleaning bathroom project. Tub done on Tuesday. Countertop today. Unsure when
I'll do floor. I'll be doing studies after lunch.

Poirot, I think Mother Nature is confused.

Muzzaman, have a good day cleaning up the yard.

OC, I'm glad you're getting rain. My area didn't get the rain last week. More chances
next week.

robin, enjoy your day.

Wishing everyone a lovely rest of the day.

You are right about the ground here, O.C. Grass has been turning green, would not do that if the ground had not warmed up some. The thing is, we really had a rather mild winter, so there was not much snow to melt for sure, which made a lot of folks happy as their backs were not sore, lolol.
Just surprised me to see all that snow early this a.m. but, all gone now.
I know I have mentioned elsewhere here how we once reached May, opening of fishing season, the lake was still frozen, only the river (about 15 miles away) was open and running. It snowed about 3 inches that day, May 3rd I think it was.
Next week is supposed to be warmer, but out of 7 days, the forecast is rain on 4 of them. Ah, well, I guess better to be chilly, as one can dress warmer, heat the house.............not so easy in hot weather to cool off, especially outdoors.

Robin, thanks for making me laugh--again. I loved hearing about Vinnie's lack of survival skills and especially the mud. Two of my grandsons were that way about mud when they were little. Yeah, all of my grands grew/are growing up in the city except for the two youngest ones who are now growing up in campgrounds across the country. I enjoy watching those two boys because they play the way kids played generations ago.

Kat, more and more I have to break down my cleaning projects like you're doing with the bathroom. My back doesn't hold out for long spells of cleaning.

Poirot the debate of whether best to be chilly or hot never ends. While I agree that it's impossible to get cool outside when the weather is really hot, I find it even harder to get comfortably warm in cold weather--inside or out! Putting on extra clothes and/or turning up the heat feels stuffy and too warm, not to mention all bound up with multiple layers. Of course I rarely spend any time outdoors in the summer anymore so most of the time I'm having to try to stay warm under a/c even then!

It's been raining just about all day here. I've got 3" right now. Have had my computer and tv off most of the time, due to more lightning. Been sitting here reading/studying, and enjoying watching and listening to the rain. Watching two bunnies now. First ones I've seen this spring. At some point I'm going to have to bundle up and go out to my guest house for some toilet paper. I keep extra paper products out there to save space in my house. Thought I had brought in more but no. Rain has let up a lot so now seems a good time.

o.c. am sure your house is not as well insulated as mine up here. Heck, the windows are so good, you do not hear airplanes, (the airport is just 2 miles down the road, a small one, ) big trucks or tractor unless they are right outside the door. LOL. Oh, sure, if I am outside I do, but all who live around me here say the same thing. If the blinds are closed, you have no idea it is raining or snowing.........but yes.....those cracks of thunder/lightning. They make me jump. Ha.

Well, as I mentioned, cloudy all day, chilly, not nice at all, but the sun finally showed up............at 4:30 p.m. !!!! You know, in time for those who like to watch the "setting sun". :)
right now, blue skies, barely any wind, sun.....amazing.

Back